- Text Size +
Nick pushed the duvet off him and rubbed his hand over his chest as his heart raced. Turning to the left made him realize that he was alone in bed. He lay back against the soft pillows and closed his eyes allowing the silence in the room to wash over him.

When his heart stopped feeling like it was trying to gallop out of his chest, he opened his eyes and reached for his phone. He blinked to make sure that the time he was looking at was correct. 11:03 am. He yawned as he slid his thumb over the screen and checked his messages.

Lost among his twitter, instagram, facebook and email messages were his text messages. Opening them he smiled at the unread messages from Kevin, Corey, AJ and Chris waiting for him. Chris’ message confused him. He opened it and laughed at the content.

Call 201.

He turned, grabbed the phone off the bedside table and dialled 201. He listened to it ring while reading the messages from Corey and AJ.

“Good morning Nickolas.”

“Good morning Christopher.”

Chris laughed, “Did you sleep well?”

Nick trailed his finger over Kevin’s name to open up his message. “Yes I did thank you. Can’t believe I slept in this late.”

“Your body needed the rest and it’s not like you had to be anywhere.”

“True. What time did Kevin leave?”

“8:30. He had a morning meeting.”

“Ok. Is Cara at home?”

“Yes. Some of her friends are coming over for lunch today.”

“Oh ok, what time?”

“1pm. Corey and AJ left messages for you to check your phone.”

“Yup checked already, thanks. I’m supposed to meet them by 2pm.”

“Drew’s here and waiting for you.”

Nick smiled, “Great! I’ll just go get ready.”

“Do you want anything to eat? Fruit, cereal, toast, juice, coffee?”

Nick laughed and shook his head. “Whoa, no nothing thanks. I’ll grab something once I’m down.”

“Alright. I’m in the kitchen if you need anything.”

“Thanks Chris, see you in a bit.”

He hung up and stretched in bed, torn between going back to sleep and spending a little time with his godmother. A few minutes later he hauled himself out of bed and into the bathroom to get ready for the day.


-x-


Nick wandered out of the bathroom and checked his phone. He replied to a message from AJ as he walked into his walk in wardrobe. He emerged 10 minutes later dressed in blue jeans and a black t-shirt.

He hesitated at the door and looked down at his hand. Rolling his eyes at himself, he went into the bathroom and picked up his wedding band from the counter. He walked down the stairs while slipping it on.

“Hey.”

Chris Kirkpatrick-Dorough turned around and smiled at the young man standing before him.

“Hi Nick.”

They hesitated before moving to each other for a hug. Chris rubbed Nick’s back soothingly before pulling back and smiling.

“Have you gotten taller?” he asked suspiciously.

Nick burst into surprise laughter and shook his head. “No I have not! Maybe you’ve gotten a little shorter,” he said with a grin as he stepped closer and rested his chin on top of Chris’ head to emphasize their height difference.

Chris laughed and gently shoved Nick back before grabbing his hand and guiding him to take a seat.

“I thought I heard voices.”

Nick turned his head and smiled when he saw Cara enter the kitchen. She waved him down when he made to stand up and quickly came up to him. Wrapping her arms around him in a comforting hug she allowed her godson and son in law to hold onto her.

“I’m so glad you’re home my sweetheart,” she said softly while kissing his cheek.

Nick pulled back and looked into calm brown eyes. “Hi Mom,” he said shyly.

Cara smiled in delight and gently rubbed off the lipstick mark she’d left on his cheek. As she took a seat next to him she ran a mother’s eye over his frame, not surprised to see that he’d lost weight.

“Can I get you a bagel or some fruit?” Chris asked as he placed a glass of juice in front of Nick.

Nick shook his head, “No thank you. I won’t do justice to lunch if I eat now.”

“Meeting the boys?”

Nick smiled and nodded.

“Will you do me a favor and pick up tonight’s dessert while you’re there?” Cara asked.

“Sure. What would you like me to get?” Nick asked.

“Corey should have it ready. I asked for an assorted box of cupcakes, tarts and pies.”

Nick’s raised his eyebrows and widened his eyes as Cara spoke. “Are you having a dinner party or something?”

Cara laughed and shook his head. “Oh no! I’ve ordered the mini taster ones. At the rate Kevin, Chris, Jerald and you go through them I figured they would last us until the weekend.”

Nick’s eyes widened. “It’s Wednesday! We’re not that bad!” He aimed a hesitant look at Chris. “Are we?”

Chris shrugged with a smile. “We can be.”

Nick rolled his eyes and smiled at them, happy to be in their calm company.


-x-


Thirty minutes later Nick stood on the sidewalk while looking up.

Stars Collide

He smiled at the initials below the restaurant’s name, proud of his friends. Hearing a car honk, he turned, waved to Drew and walked into the restaurant.

Bright white walls with little sketches of parts of London, New York, Orlando, Paris, and Rome were immediately visible upon entering interspersed with pinks, blues, greens, black and gold.

“Nicky!”

Nick turned and laughed as his best friend rushed towards him. Corey stopped just before he could crash into Nick and hugged him. Nick wrapped his arms around Corey and held on just as tight.

“I’m so glad you’re home,” Corey murmured.

“I missed you,” Nick said softly.

They pulled back after a minute and took a moment to look at each other. Nick grinned when he noticed the smart white apron tied around Corey’s waist.

“Looking good Sigmond,” he said with a wink.

Corey grinned and ran his hand over the apron. “The Chefs insist on it if I want to be in the kitchen. Come on, AJ’s on his way, we can grab a table.” He grabbed Nick’s hand and tugged his friend along. “Do you want to sit out here or in one of the private areas?”

Joshua and Corey had partnered up to create Stars Collide. Nick had invested in their brand knowing that his friends had a good idea. Stars Collide had a private area where celebrities could enjoy a meal without fear of someone snapping their picture. There was a private room which could accommodate up to eight people, had to be booked and had a minimum spend. Most nights the restaurant had a wait list of up to an hour and the private room was booked several times a week. All in all Corey and Josh ran one of the hottest new restaurants in LA.

They had taken a seat and ordered their drinks when AJ joined them with Sebastian asleep in his arms.

“Hello my dears,” AJ said.

He smiled gratefully when Corey took the diaper bag from him. He sat down carefully so as not to jostle his child and sighed.

“I ordered a Caesar’s salad for you,” Corey informed AJ.

AJ smiled gratefully. “Thank you, I’m starving.”

“You look tired,” Nick reached out and gently traced his thumb under AJ’s eye.

AJ’s smile widened. “Sebby kept waking up through the night, we didn’t get much sleep.” He brushed his lips against his son’s soft curls while gently rocking him and patting his back.

“You didn’t want to bring his nanny with you?” Nick asked.

“She had to run to the dentist. She’ll join us in a little while.”

Corey grinned, “Date night tonight!”

Nick frowned in confusion.

“Matt and you do it too!” AJ said with a laugh. He caught Nick’s confusion. “Couples can get into such a fixed routine that date night is a good break from the monotony of everyday life.”

“Now that you’re home you can try it soon with Kevin,” Corey suggested.

“But we go out all the time,” Nick said as their salads were placed in front of them.

AJ stood up, smoothly settled Seb into his pram and covered him with a light blanket. “Every night must have been date night,” he said as he leaned back and stretched to ease the ache in his back.

“Things will be different now though,” Corey said.

“They will?” Nick asked; unsure if that would be a good thing or bad thing.

“Won’t they? Now you’ll be coming home to each other, eating dinner together, do mundane things like watch television in bed night after night. For the past year you guys met for a few days or went on holiday together. There was no time for a routine,” AJ explained gently.
Corey smiled as their salads were served. “Nicky, I want you to taste the watermelon and feta salad. If you don’t like it Paul will change it for whatever you want.”

Nick eyed the plate that had been set down in front of him. “It looks gorgeous Core,” he said as he bent down to examine it further. Three watermelon squares with feta crumbs layered between them rested on a bed of argula. It was easy enough to mistake the salad for dessert. He quickly unlocked his phone and snapped a picture of the artfully arranged salad in front of him. His instagram followers were going to love it.

Corey grinned, “It tastes even better. It has argula, watermelon and feta as you can see. This comes with pine nuts but I left that out for you. There’s a mint vinaigrette with it.”

Nick carefully cut into the watermelon slices and took a bite, closing his eyes as sweetness of the watermelon set off well against the savoury kick of the feta. As he enjoyed his salad he mulled over AJ’s words. His friends allowed him to take his time as they discussed their schedule over the next few weeks.

Corey pulled him out of his thoughts. “Nicky you want to get appetizers or go right to mains?”

Nick shrugged. “I’m good with whatever you guys want.”

“Let’s order mains and share,” AJ suggested.


Forty minutes later they sat relaxed in the way you only can after eating a delicious meal. Within minutes they were served coffee with dessert on the way.

“I love the fact that you have freshly baked cookies on the menu,” Nick sighed as the enticing aroma of their coffee mixed with the cookies.

Corey smiled as slid one of each flavour onto Nick’s plate. “You were the inspiration behind them. I wish you could taste all the desserts.”

“I’ll be back soon to sample the rest. Right now I’m just in a very cookie mood.”

The two friends shared a happy smile as Corey squeezed Nick’s arm.

Nick gave into the urge to check his phone messages as they were being served their coffee.

How’s your day going?
He sent a picture of the cookies on his plate along with the message.

A few minutes later his phone buzzed. He smiled and slid his thumb over Kevin’s name as he read the message.

Jealous. Enjoy. Meeting after meeting today.


-x-


“Where are you off to now?” Nick asked as they waited for their cars.

“I’m just going to head home, maybe take a nap,” AJ said with a tired sigh.

“How many times did Sebby wake up last night?” Nick asked curiously.

AJ smiled at Nick. “Four times, but that’s only because he was uncomfortable. He tends to wake up around 3am most nights but usually he’s back asleep in a few minutes.”

“What are you and Brian doing tonight?”

AJ lifted up the Stars Collide bag up to show Nick. “Dinner at home with a movie.”

“You driving yourself?” Nick asked.

AJ shook his head. “Driver. I usually have Brian’s driver when I take Sebby out, if he’s busy Sabrina insists I take hers. I prefer driving myself when I can. I see you have Drew,” he said when he saw the black Lexus pull up.

Nick smiled. “Kevin,” was his simple reply.

AJ smiled. “When do you start work?”

Nick rolled his eyes, “Monday. Kevin wants me to take it easy and get a bit of a break.”

Corey laughed, “Don’t sound so sad about it Nicky. A break will do you good.”

“Not that this will be much of a break. You’ll unpack, settle in, a full family dinner, some Kevin time,” AJ said with a shrug as he watched his car pull up.

Nick shrugged, “I guess you’re right.”

“If you need to hide out you are always welcome here,” Corey said as he squeezed Nick’s arm.

“Or you can come hang with Sebby and me,” AJ offered as he hugged Corey and Nick.

Nick smiled and squeezed AJ in a tight hug before sliding his arm around Corey and doing the same to him.

“Bye Alicia,” Corey and Nick said as Sebastian’s nanny waved at them before gently settling Sebby into his car seat.

Corey leaned into Nick as they watched AJ get in to his car and leave. “It’ll all work out,” he whispered before kissing Nick’s cheek.

He leaned into Nick and rubbed his hair against Nick’s cheek to make his friend laugh. Nick hugged Corey tight and pressed their cheeks together. They grinned and brought their cameras up to take a picture.

“Missed you, glad you’re home.”

“Missed you too.”

They were both aware of Nick avoiding mentioning anything about being happy he’s home.


-x-


Nick’s eyes widened as he looked around him. Clothes, belts and shoes were in neat piles and rows all around him. He had been unpacking his bags after having asked Chris not to do it for him this time.

A sudden thought had him scrambling to reach for his phone.

7:03 pm stared back at him.

He looked around at the chaos he’d created, hauled himself up off the floor and tried to figure out how to quickly put everything away.

He groaned as strong arms slid around his waist.

“Now that definitely wasn’t the welcome I was expecting.”

Nick tilted his head to the side as Kevin began kissing along his neck. He turned slowly and slid his arms around Kevin’s neck. “I’m sorry about the mess,” he said softly, unable to look away from his husband’s captivating eyes. “I wanted to do it on my own and lost track of time.”

Kevin was well aware that Chris had been dealing with unpacking and packing Nick’s bags for him on his trips to LA post their wedding.

“Well good for you for wanting to do it on your own baby. Would you like my help?” Kevin asked gently.

Nick rubbed his index finger along Kevin’s shirt collar and shook his head. “You go shower, I’ll clear this away.”

“Don’t rush on my account.” Kevin brushed his lips against Nick’s and walked around his clothes to the bathroom.

Nick sighed and bent down to lift up his neatly folded pile of tee shirts.

Ten minutes later he stood stumped with his shirts in his arms, which is how Kevin found him.

Kevin bit back a smile at the pouty expression Nick was wearing as he approached him.

“What’s up?”

Nick looked from his shirts to the closet to Kevin with a betrayed look on his face.

Kevin looked at the neatly folded shirts, the hangers empty and waiting for them and nodded.

“It’s ok,” he said soothingly.

He carefully took the shirts from Nick, set them down and picked one up. Nick watched as he unbuttoned the top two buttons and slid the hanger in. In less than thirty seconds Kevin had the shirt neatly hung up.

“That wasn’t so bad,” Nick said hesitantly. “I probably would have found a complicated method,” he said as he rolled his eyes.

He picked up a shirt and carefully copied Kevin’s actions. By the time he hung up his first shirt Kevin was done with two more.

“I’ll do it Kevin,” he said unable to meet Kevin’s eyes.

“I don’t mind helping,” Kevin said seriously. “What did you do today?” he asked to distract Nick.

Nick smiled, “Well I slept in, which was great. I met AJ and Corey for lunch. The food was so good Kevin!”

“Then let’s go there for dinner next week.”

“It’s a date,” Nick said hesitantly.

“A date,” Kevin agreed.

After hanging up the last shirt Nick stood back and smiled. “Not bad.”

“Not bad at all.”

Nick looked at Kevin and grinned when he saw Kevin looking at him instead of the clothes.


-x-


They enjoyed a peaceful dinner with Cara and Jerald before making themselves comfortable in the informal lounge for coffee and dessert. Nick yawned and shivered. He smiled when Kevin sat down next to him and took a moment to look at him.

Worn denim moulded to strong legs, a simple grey t-shirt hinted at the abs it covered. Stubble covered jaw, sensuous pink lips which appeared darker and fuller thanks to the extra spice Kevin had eaten with his meal, beautiful green eyes flecked with gold that were looking back at him…

Nick’s eyes widened and he ducked his head at the smirk on Kevin’s lips.

“See something you like?” Kevin asked softly.

Nick met Kevin’s eyes and licked his lips, “Yes.” He sucked his bottom lip into his mouth and dug his teeth into it.

Kevin bit back a groan and leaned forward. Nick met him halfway. Their lips slid together in a lazy kiss.

A tray being set down had them pulling apart. Nick saw the smile on Cara’s face and smiled shyly back. He never thought he’d feel like a teenager being caught with his boyfriend. He bit his lip, shifted closer to Kevin and dropped his head to rest on Kevin’s shoulder. He tensed when he felt Kevin freeze. A moment later Kevin relaxed and rested his hand on Nick’s thigh.

When Cara began to pour the coffee Nick hesitated, unsure if he should offer to help or not. Kevin solved his problem by shifting forward and adding the appropriate amount of cream and sugar into the cups.

Jerald came back in and sat down on the arm of the couch next to Nick.

“I’m glad you’re taking some time off before you dive into work Nicky. Work isn’t the be all and end all of life,” he said with a pointed look at Kevin.

Kevin through years of practice ignored his father and handed him a cup of coffee.

“Mum do you want your tea?” he asked while holding out a cup to Nick.

“Oh thank you darling, I wouldn’t mind a cup,” Cara said with a smile.

Nick watched Kevin leave the room with a curious expression on his face before focusing back on Jerald.