- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter has not been beta read. Please feel free to point out any errors you find so that I can correct them.
Nick yawned and looked around the dimly lit room. The blackout curtains let in a sliver of sunlight while a single lamp lit the room a pale golden.


He smiled when he saw Kevin walk out of the bathroom dressed for work.


“Morning,” he said softly.


Kevin smiled and sat down next to him. “Morning.” He ran his hand down Nick’s sleep warm face.


Nick ran his fingers down Kevin’s pink striped tie. Kevin caught his hand and entwined their fingers.


“It’s early. Did you sleep well?”


Nick looked into Kevin’s eyes, a small smile on his face. “I should be asking you that. We slept late; you must not have gotten much sleep.”


Kevin raised their hands up and kissed Nick’s hand. “I’m fine baby, I slept enough.”


They spent a moment looking into each other’s eyes.


“Why don’t you go back to sleep? I’m sorry if I woke you.” He lowered his head and brushed his lips against Nick’s before standing up.


Nick watched Kevin leave their room before turning onto his side and closing his eyes.



-x-



“Well, well, well, what do we have here?” Nick grinned as he entered the kitchen and found Chris and Howie kissing.


Chris grinned back as Howie laughed and turned to hug Nick.


Howie was shorter than Nick but his hugs always radiated safety and security to Nick.


“Good to have you home kiddo,” he said warmly.


Nick sighed and pressed his forehead into Howie’s shoulder before pulling back. “Thanks Howie.”


They both pretended to ignore the fact that most people would have said, ‘It’s good to be home.’


“Drew and the Lexus are at your disposal if you plan to go anywhere today. I’m heading out to run a few errands for Kevin and Mrs. R,” Howie said as he picked up his bag.


Nick nodded and took a seat. Chris smiled and passed him a paper and pen.


“I’m going to the supermarket today. Write down anything you need.”


“Oh cool thanks.” He began reading the list while tapping his finger against the edge of the paper.


“What do you want to eat Nicky?”


Nick looked up, blinked in surprise and shrugged.


A few minutes later Chris set a glass of chocolate milk and a toast in front of Nick. Nick’s delight at the chocolate milk was worth the ribbing Howie and Kevin had given him when they’d seen it in the fridge.


Nick hummed after he took a bite of the toast. “Oh wow! Did you bake this Chris?” At Chris’ smile and nod he shook his head. “It’s delicious!”


Chris smiled and buttered another slice for Nick who had given up on the list and was concentrating on his breakfast.


After he’d eaten, Nick picked up the list again, finished reading it and began writing down what he needed.


“What time are you planning on going?” he asked while indicating the list.


“In about 15 minutes.”


“Can I come with you?” Nick asked hesitantly.


Chris smiled warmly. “Of course you can.”


“Do you know where Cara is?”


Chris checked the time before nodding. “Yoga. Her instructor’s over, should be done in 30 minutes.”


“Oh, ok, thanks. I’m just going to go grab my phone, I’ll meet you outside.”


Chris nodded, “Sure.”


A few minutes later Nick was sitting on the bench outside scrolling through his messages. He ignored the ones from acquaintances and friends in favor of checking Kevin’s message first.


Kev R 9:08am
Good morning, Drew’s available to drive you in you want to go anywhere. I may be a little late getting home tonight.


Nick smiled at how considerate Kevin always was as he typed his reply.


Thanks, going to the supermarket with Chris so taking Drew. If you’re gonna eat dinner at home then I'll wait for you.


He turned when he heard a door shut. Nick joined Chris as he walked down the pathway to where Drew was waiting for them in the car.


They spent two peaceful hours shopping, during which Chris got to observe the changes in Nick since his last visit.


Nick laughed at the amount and variety of chips, cookies and chocolate that Chris had collected as they paid.


“Who eats all this?” he asked surprised.


Chris grinned as he signed the credit card receipt and began helping Nick put everything into the canvas bags he’d brought along.


“Kevin.” He laughed at Nick’s surprise. “Corey and Matt come over once a month, Jerald comes over to sneak in some junk food, AJ likes to snack on some chips when he comes over. Kevin enjoys a handful at the end of a long day. I just upped the quantity this time because now you’re home too. Kevin told me which brands you prefer.”


Nick resisted the urge to hug one of the bags to his chest and thanked Chris instead.


As they walked out to the parking lot, Drew rushed to help them with their bags. Chris squeezed Nick’s arm after he handed over his bags to Drew.


“I’m glad you’re home Nick.”


Nick ducked his head down and hoped some day soon he’d be able to reply with, ‘Me too.’


When they got home after a quick stop to pick up dry cleaning, Nick insisted on helping Christ put away the groceries. Chris took advantage of it and explained the set up of the kitchen and pantry. Nick, who had never bothered to check out where everything went in the kitchen on his previous visits, was surprised at the variety of food stocked.


“You run a full kitchen here,” he said slowly while taking everything in.


“We do,” Chris confirmed gently as he began making a stir fry for their lunch.


“Does Kevin not eat at the main house?” Nick asked softly.


Cara and Jerald had converted their guest wing into a fully functional house when Kevin had decided to take the job offered to him at Carter-Richardson. Nick knew that Kevin would have preferred to live independently and had only agreed to living there because Nick had helped decorate it.


He’d been surprised when Kevin had allowed Howie, who had been his right hand in New York to take over as his housekeeper. Kevin had explained Howie’s need to take a break after feeling run down, his need to work from home and how his husband Chris would join them in LA soon.


Now Chris ran Nick and Kevin’s house while Howie usually worked from home for Kevin.


Chris lowered the heat on the wok and set a lid on it before turning to look at Nick.


“He eats at the main house maybe twice a month. He prefers to eat here, at his own time.” Seeing Nick's expression, Chris smiled reassuringly. “Nick, Kevin works long hours. He comes home and works out or goes to the gym, then prefers to enjoy a late dinner. He does not eat well when he’s rushed. You know that. It’s why he’s always happy to eat late with you in London.”


Nick realized that that was true. They did eat later than most people he knew.


“I’m over thinking this?”


Chris who had never lied to him yet, grinned. “You are. Now wash your hands and sit. Lunch is almost ready.”



-x-



Nick had settled into bed with a book after lunch when his phone buzzed beside him.


Kev 2:02 PM:
Dinner at home. With you.


Nick smiled and replied with a smiley before turning back to his book.



-x-



Nick observed the way Howie, Chris and Kevin interacted during dinner and found himself a little jealous over how in tune they were with each other.


Howie and Kevin brought the food to the table while Chris sorted out everyone’s drinks. When they sat down, they each picked up a dish and served each other, then held out the dishes to Nick.


Nick forced a smile on his face and began eating. They kept the conversation on general topics through dinner, designed to amuse and relax.


After they had finished eating Howie and Kevin quickly cleared the table while Chris put away the leftovers. Nick felt awkward as he stood watching them. He sighed in relief when his phone began to ring. Excusing himself, he answered the call as he walked out to sit by the pool.


“Hi Dad, how are you?”


“I’m good, how are you my Nicky?”


“Erm, I’m good too, just finished dinner.”


“Ah, Kevin must have really needed his run today.”


Nick frowned in confusion but didn’t question Robert as he continued speaking.


“When am I seeing you kiddo?”


Nick smiled, “Anytime you say.”


“How about lunch tomorrow if you’re free?”


“That sounds perfect.”


“Great! Café Bizou, 1pm. Do you want me to send Paul to fetch you?”


Nick smiled and shook his head. “Thanks Dad, I’ve got Drew.”


After they had said their goodbyes and hung up, Nick looked at his phone, his eyebrows drawn together in confusion. He couldn’t remember the last time his dad had sounded as relaxed and carefree as he had tonight.


He returned to the kitchen to find Kevin pouring coffee and Howie setting dessert out.


Kevin poured a shot of vanilla into one cup before looking at Nick. At his nod he pumped a shot into Nick’s cup too.


“Everything alright?” he asked when he saw the look on Nick’s face.


Nick watched Kevin add a little cream to one of the cups.


“Dad sounded… different,” he said hesitantly.


Kevin quickly stopped what he was doing and looked at Nick. “Different how?” he asked sharply.


Nick frowned at him and shrugged. “Different. Relaxed, chilled, happy,” he said softly.


“That’s good,” Howie said with a smile. “Robert is a gem.”


“Does he still come over for dinner on Tuesdays?” Nick asked as he watched Howie spoon a big dollop of Chantilly cream onto each plate.


“Yes, every week as long as his other commitments don’t get in the way,” Kevin said as he exchanged a quick look with Howie.


“He comes over early sometimes to grab a drink with Cara and Jerald,” Howie said as he lifted the tray of dessert up and walked off towards the informal lounge.


Nick walked beside Kevin as he lifted the tray with their drinks on it and followed Howie.


“What’re you drinking?” Nick asked curiously as he looked at the three cups of coffee and one which looked like milk.


“Hot milk and cinnamon,” Kevin said with a laugh. “Chris is convinced that I shouldn’t even drink decaf at night so he’s making me try this out.”


Nick shrugged, “You have nothing to lose by trying.”


“I miss my nightly caffeine fix,” Kevin said as he bent to set the tray down.


Nick laughed and waited until Kevin straightened up before leaning forward to kiss the slight pout on his face.



-x-



Nick got out of bed soon after Kevin left for work the next day.


“Morning Nick, sleep well?” Chris asked with a smile as he cleared up the breakfast dishes.


“Morning. I did thank you. Time to get back into routine,” he said with a slight smile. “How are you?


“I’m good. Going for a swim?” he asked when he saw the towel on Nick’s arm.


“Yup. I can’t continue enjoying your amazing food if I don’t start working out.”


Chris rolled his eyes at that causing Nick to laugh.


“You wanna join me?”


Chris nodded, “Sure!”


Ten minutes later Chris sat down next to Nick on the edge of the pool and winced as he slid his legs in.


“Cold!”


Nick laughed at his reaction. “It’s not that cold.”


“Uh huh, then why haven’t you gone in yet?” Chris smirked.


“I was just waiting for you,” Nick said innocently.


“Sure you were,” Chris agreed with a laugh. “Well, I’m here now so you can just jump in and I’ll follow.”


Nick flinched and gently bumped his shoulder against Chris’. “After you.”


“Oh no, I can't. You waited for me, it’s only fair I do the same. You first.”


They looked at each other and laughed.


“Let’s just go in together. Our body will adjust to the water in no time,” Nick said.


Chris agreed.


A few minutes later they were still sitting there, willing themselves to just slide in, when a firm hand on both their backs pushed them in.


Their heads popped out of the water and they turned around spluttering to see Howie standing there grinning at them with his phone in his hand.


“This is such a cute picture,” he said with a laugh.


He safely backed up so that they couldn’t splash him and sent the image to Kevin.


“Husband mine, you’ll pay for that!” Chris yelled.


Nick sliced his hair back and narrowed his eyes at Howie. “What he said,” he jerked his head toward Chris.


“Now now guys, I was just being helpful,” he said as he held his hands up, his eyes still twinkling with laughter.


Both of them rolled their eyes at him and swam to the edge to begin their laps.


“Enjoy your swim!” Howie called out as he walked off around the house.


“Is he going to the office?” Nick asked Chris.


Chris nodded, “He goes in half day and then works from home for a few hours.”


“And you’re ok with that?” Nick asked tentatively.


Chris smiled. “We took over a year out and turned our lives around. If it has to happen, it will. We were going crazy just living so cocooned.”


“You’re not going to leave us right?” Nick panicked a little and grabbed Chris’ hand.


Chris laughed and squeezed Nick’s hand. “No!”


Nick sighed in relief and smiled. They both kicked off from the edge and began their laps.


Forty five minutes later Chris wrapped a towel around himself and picked up his phone to check his messages. He frowned at what he read and quickly typed in a reply. He set his phone down and looked out at the pool where Nick had slowed down. He waited for the younger man to join him.


“Bagels and juice for breakfast?”


Nick wiped his face and nodded, “That sounds good, thanks.”


“I have to run to the restaurant today. Our sous chef isn’t feeling too well and there is a private party on today so I have to go.”


Nick nodded and slung his towel over his shoulder. “Oh that’s not good. I hope everything goes off without a hitch.”


“I’ll make you whatever you want for lunch before I go.”


Nick winced, “Sorry Chris, I forgot to tell you last night. I’m meeting my dad for lunch.”


Chris smiled and stood up. “Well, at least I don’t have to worry about you burning your fingers.”


Nick pouted, “That only happened twice!”


Chris tried to refrain from laughing as he nodded.


Nick rolled his eyes before giving into laughter. “Yes, yes, laugh at the clumsy person.”



Forty minutes later Nick walked with Chris to the door. “How’re you getting there? You’re welcome to have Drew drop you.”


Chris hesitated. “Are you sure?”


Nick nodded, “I’m happy to drive myself.”


“You don’t have to do that. He’ll be back in plenty of time to get you to lunch,” Chris assured Nick.


“How will you get back?”


“I’ll have Howie fetch me,” Chris said.


Nick nodded and watched Chris get into the passenger seat of the car beside Drew. He waved to them and shut the door. Grabbing his phone from the kitchen, he ran up the stairs to his bedroom with the intention of neatening it up.


As he straightened the duvet across the bed, it struck him that he didn’t even know if Kevin looked after his room himself or if Chris did it for him. He sat down on the neatly made bed and sighed. ‘Our room, this is our room, our house. I don’t even know if my husband prefers to pick up after himself or have someone do it for him.


He had always been so rushed on his previous visits home that simple day to day things like making the bed and running a load of laundry hadn’t even entered his mind.



-x-



Nick thanked the host of the restaurant and took a seat at a corner table. He tapped out a message to his father informing him that he had reached before sitting back with a sigh.


An hour later, Nick grinned as their plates were cleared. Robert looked up after putting his wallet away and raised his eyebrows with a smile.


“What’s up kid?”


Nick shook his head. “You look different. Younger.”


Robert raised his eyebrows with a laugh. “Are you asking if I’ve had some work done?”


Nick burst out laughing. “Dad! No, I didn’t mean it that way!” He licked his lips, “Just like happier, you look like you’ve lost some weight. Not like you needed to, but just, you look fitter. It’s nice to see you this way.”


Robert shouldn’t have felt surprised at how observant his son was. “Thank you. I’ve found a fresh burst of motivation and support recently.”


“That’s great! Whatever the reason Dad, hope you can hold onto it. It’s really good to see you this way.”


Robert smiled and nodded. “I’m going to try my best my darling Nicky.”


Robert hugged his son and waited until he had got into the car beside Drew before waving and getting into his own car.


“Have a good lunch?” Drew asked as he pulled away from the curb.


“Yes, thank you. Always good to meet up with dad,” Nick said as he slipped his sunglasses on.


“Oh! Kevin and Mr. R have been trying to get in touch, said they couldn’t get through to your phone. Kevin didn’t know you were out. I hope it’s ok that I told him where you were?”


“Oh damn! It completely slipped my mind to tell him about lunch.” He sighed and looked at Drew. “Yes, it’s always ok to tell Kevin where I am. Thanks Drew.”


Nick frowned as he pulled his phone out of his pocket. “I guess the network must’ve been low in there.”


Jer Dad 2:03pm:
Nicky my dear, dinner tonight?


Kev R 2:30pm:
How was lunch? Jerald thinks I’ve hidden you away, deal with him please.


Nick shook his head. “Did Chris mention anything about picking him up?”


Drew shook his head, “No, nothing. He just rushed off inside. You want to swing by the restaurant?”


“No, I don’t want to disturb them at work. Oh, can we stop by a pharmacy please?”


“Sure.”


Nick turned on the radio, relaxed back in his seat and called Jerald. He hung up when he received a busy signal and texted him back. He called Kevin next and smiled when he answered on the second ring.


“Hey you, how’s your day going?”


He heard Kevin sigh. “It went from good to annoying thanks to my father.”


“I’m sorry. He was on another call when I called him. I said ok for dinner tonight. I’ll go over early, you go workout and come by after if you feel up to it.”


There was a short pause before Kevin spoke. “Thank you.”


“I’m sorry; it completely slipped my mind to tell you about lunch.”


“Don’t worry about it. We’ll just sync our calendars back up to make things easier.”


“Yup! Lunch was good. It’s always a pleasure to spend time with Dad. He looked really good. Makes me happy.”


Kevin paused before speaking. “That’s great.”


Nick smiled, “Don’t even pretend you haven’t noticed. You’re one of the most observant person I’ve ever met!” He grinned and let Kevin off the hook. “Anyway, I’m going to the pharmacy for some stuff. You need anything?”


“No, nothing, thank you. If you’re sure you don’t mind me skipping out on dinner tonight then I’ll get in a session at the gym with my trainer.”


“Yeah totally, go ahead. I’m not sure if Chris is home cause he had to run to the restaurant to help so let me know if you want me to bring back some food.”


“That sounds good. Protein, some veg and a very small portion of carbs.”


“Okie dokie. See you later.”



-x-



A couple of hours later Nick was enjoying a pleasant evening with his godparents.


“Nicky, we want to host a Sunday brunch in a week or two. Just our close friends.”


Nick smiled at Cara, “That sounds good.”


“Is there any particular weekend you’d prefer?”


Nick shrugged. “Doesn’t really matter to me, I’ll run it by Kevin though cause we haven’t synced our schedules since we got the new phones.”


Jerald raised his eyebrow. “You sync your schedules. I’m sure that was my son’s idea.”


Nick refused to take the bait. “It was Richard and Jake's idea actually. It’s definitely made our lives run smoothly.” He pointed at Jerald. “No teasing Kevin about it!”


Jerald held up his hands as Cara laughed. “Would I do that?” he asked innocently.


Nick shared a look with Cara, then rolled his eyes. “You have in the past!”


“I’ll make him behave darling,” Cara said as she passed a bowl of ice cream to Jerald.


Nick stopped her when she picked up another bowl. “I don’t want any Mom. I’ll grab some later while Kevin eats dinner.”


“Alright sweetie. I’ve sent his dinner over, it just needs to be popped in the micro if he wants it hot.”


Nick nodded with a smile and stretched. “Are you ready to start working?” Cara asked as he sat back with a cup of green tea.


Nick nodded, “Very ready and excited! This is the longest I’ve gone without working at Carter-Richardson.”


“I still say you should’ve come home to work rather than take the internship in New York last summer.”


Nick grinned, “You only had a problem with it cause Kevin suggested it before you did!”


Cara and Nick started laughing at the miffed expression on Jerald’s face.



-x-



Kevin walked into the kitchen and stopped in surprise when he saw Nick carefully lifting a plate out of the microwave.


“Hey! Did you have a good workout?” Nick asked sweetly.


Kevin entered the kitchen and nodded. “I did, thank you. How was dinner?”


Nick set the plate down and turned around to grab a bowl of ice cream from the freezer. “It was good. Oh, before I forget, they wanna have a Sunday brunch soon so if you tell me which dates work for you I’ll let Mom know.”


Kevin wrapped his arms around Nick’s waist and pressed his lips against Nick’s in a slow, lazy kiss. Nick ran his fingers through Kevin’s hair, a soft sigh escaping him as Kevin hugged him close.


“Any chance they’ll let this brunch plan slip for a few weeks?”


Nick grinned. “And pass up on summer? No way! Why? You have anything on?”


Kevin sighed and shook his head before pressing his face against Nick’s neck. Nick played with the ends of Kevin’s hair and allowed his husband to enjoy the quiet moment he seemed to need.



-x-



Nick hung his damp towel up to dry, emerged from the bathroom clad in a thin t-shirt and soft grey sleep pants. He twisted his ring off, set it down next to Kevin’s and slid into bed beside Kevin who was stretched out watching the news.



“You know you’re not supposed to.” Nick lifted his pillows until he was comfortable and sank back against them.


Kevin smiled at Nick, switched the television off and kept the remote aside before turning onto his side to face Nick. They spent a moment looking into each other’s eyes before Kevin closed the distance between them. Nick slid his arms around Kevin’s neck, luxuriating in the feel of the soft, thick hair beneath his fingertips.


Their lips slid lazily together in slow, sweet kisses. Nick hummed in pleased as Kevin slid his t-shirt up and pressed his thumb into Nick’s side. He tensed as Kevin’s fingertips pressed up against his ribs and jerked in his arms.


“Kevin!” he chastised as he broke their kiss.


Kevin shook with silent laughter and pressed apology kisses against Nick’s jaw. “I’m sorry baby, I couldn’t resist.”


Nick knew it was his own fault. A flush spread over his body when he recalled trailing his fingers down Kevin’s flat, toned stomach and around his belly button was a ticklish spot for him, he had not missed an opportunity to tickle him.


One sleepy morning, Nick had been reading in bed while waiting for Kevin to wake up. Unfortunately for Nick, that was the morning Kevin had been rubbing his thumb along Nick’s ribs as he slowly woke up. His husband was as sharp and observant as ever even having just woken up and quickly figured out why Nick was so tense in his arms.


The tickle attack that had followed had led to them spending a passionate morning in bed.


Nick turned his head and brushed his lips lightly across Kevin’s before pulling back. They looked at each other before pressing together for another soft kiss. They settled back against their pillows and grabbed their phones to begin syncing their calendars together.


“Mom said that Howie & Chris usually eat out when Chris works a shift at the restaurant.” Nick stated but knew Kevin would hear the question.


“It just made sense for them to meet and eat out after Chris has worked a proper shift. A date of sorts,” Kevin said with a slight smile.


Nick licked his lips and took a moment to sort through his thoughts before speaking. “When you told me we could live here, I asked you about hiring staff. You told me Howie’s Chris would go crazy if we hired staff cause he’d have nothing to do and running the house would be good for him. I agreed at the time and so far I had no cause to question your decision.” He turned onto his side and looked at Kevin. “It didn’t strike me just how involved he is at the restaurant as the Executive Chef. On days or nights like these when he’s not here, what do you eat?”


Nick’s heart was thundering in his ears. It was the first time in their marriage that Nick realized how selfish and thoughtless he’d been.


Kevin sighed and turned onto his side. He reached out and slid his hand over Nick’s cheek, gently rubbing his thumb along Nick’s jaw.


“I’m not helpless Nick. Chris very rarely takes an unplanned shift at the restaurant. Even when he and Howie go out, he always makes sure I have a meal ready for me when I come home.”


They stared at each other, the silence heavy between them. Nick couldn’t believe none of this had struck him before and realized a lot of it had to do with how much Chris, Howie and especially Kevin had sheltered him during his visits to L.A. He’d visited and lived in his new house as a guest since his marriage.


“Hey,” Kevin slid his hand over Nick and slid against him, “please don’t over think this Nick. Don’t forget, I’ve lived alone since I was 17 and cooked for myself. The main reason I wanted Chris to run our house is because it freed me up to come see you whenever I wanted to without having to worry about anything here.”


Nick was still not convinced but realized it was because he doubted himself. He resolved to put it out of his mind for tonight and allowed Kevin to tug him into his arms.


“Stop thinking,” Kevin murmured as he stripped of Nick’s and his own clothes and carefully blanketed Nick’s body with his own.


Nick moaned as Kevin’s bare body slid against his own, arching into every brush of Kevin’s stubble against his sensitive skin.


Their conversation completely forgotten, Kevin yanked Nick’s hands above their heads and pressed them into the pillow as they ground their hips together. He ducked his head down and rubbed his cheek against Nick’s nipple, nipping it with his teeth. He pressed his tongue flat against it before capturing it with his teeth and tugging on it.


His ministrations drew a strangled sob from Nick. Kevin bit down again before moving on to give Nick’s other nipple the same treatment. By the time he made his way back up to Nick’s lips, Nick was struggling to free his arms.


“I know you liked that baby,” Kevin whispered roughly in Nick’s ear before capturing his lips in a deep kiss.


Nick eagerly thrust his tongue against Kevin’s, hissing in pleasure as Kevin’s chest rubbed against his swollen nipples. Kevin released his hands to reach between their bodies, all Nick could do was lay there and allow Kevin to push him over the edge. He shut his eyes, dug his heels into the bed and arched into Kevin’s body. A long moment later Nick squeezed his eyes shut and bit down on Kevin’s shoulder as his body froze before letting go.


Nick opened his eyes sometime later to find himself held gently in Kevin’s arms, Kevin soothingly stroking his back. He kissed Kevin’s cheek before resting his head back on his shoulder. “That was just,” he sighed softly, “thank you.”


Kevin didn’t say anything just tightened his arms around Nick.
Chapter End Notes:
I've just been pretty upset lately with a couple of deaths in my family and extended family. Don't generally like midweek updates but I just had to push myself and get this out today as it's a special day to both Cole and me. My parents celebrate their 33rd anniversary and Cole and J would have celebrated their 10th anniversary. J had this ritual of sorts that he did when anyone special to him celebrated a birthday or special event and weren't in the same city as him. He'd get a cupcake and celebrate. So today I'm celebrating with you guys with this chapter - CJ