- Text Size +

As Nick pulled into the driveway he knew what was about to happen. Everything was about to go to hell, everything that he has worked so hard for. How could he have been so stupid? How could he have done this to his family? He was frustrated with himself, but now he must pay the consequences. Just before he left the studio Brian started to gloat and say “I told you she would find out” over and over again and he was right she did find out, but how was the question on his mind. Did Emelyn call her? Did she write an email? Did someone tell Rayna behind his back? All these questions were fluttering around in his brain as he parked the car, He just sat there for a few seconds not wanting to go in and face the music, he wanted everything to be back the way it was before he messed everything up. He slowly got out of the car and walked up to the house and walked through the door. It was quiet. His heart began to break had she already left? He didn’t hear the kids. He walked down the hall to their bedroom and there was Rayna sitting on the bed with an envelope looking at pictures.

“Hey” he said. Rayna looked up at his with tears just streaming down her cheeks.

“I just have one question for you. Why? Why did you do this? Was I just not good enough for you anymore?” she asked. Nick started to walk towards Rayna,” Please I don’t want you near me, you are lucky I am still even here right now.” She snapped. Nick stopped dead in his tracks.

“I don’t have an answer for you. I think a lot of it was just being lonely out on the road and you didn’t want to come out and everyone else had their wives but me”

“Don’t blame this on me Nick you are the one that couldn’t keep it in their pants,” she shot.

“I am not. I am just saying what happened it didn’t mean anything Ray.”

“Bullshit Nick you have been doing this behind my back for almost a year. I call that meaning something. What you didn’t think I would find out? Did you think the guys could just hide this from all of us?”

“Honestly I didn’t think you would find out I thought I was so careful but I promise you I haven’t done anything in a long time please can we just work this out?” he pleaded.

“I don’t think that is even a possibility right now Nick” his eyes started to water.

“Why? Why can’t we make this work?” he asked. Rayna handed him the photo of an ultra sound.

“This is why. It may have been a different story if you had only cheated a few times but to be so careless as to getting another woman pregnant that is something entirely different Nick”

“No, she is lying Ray please you have to believe me.” He begged.

“My trust with you right now is on thin ice. I don’t even know what is worse right now you cheating or the fact you got some whore pregnant.”

“It was never my intention to do this I wasn’t thinking.”

“Obviously you weren’t thinking. What about the kids? Did you think of them? How something like this could affect them if I were to find out?” Nick hesitated to answer.

“No” he responded.

“I don’t even know what to say anymore other than I am leaving Nick. I can’t handle it. I can’t handle the fact you did this behind my back and having a child with someone other than me,”

“Rayna please don’t leave me. I will do anything please just don’t leave.” He pleaded once more but pleading or begging certainly didn’t look like it was changing her mind.

“I’m sorry” Rayna got up from the bed and walked into the closet and started collecting clothes.

“You and the kid’s stay I will leave just let me get some things.”

“Nick this is your house we can find somewhere else”

“You’re wrong this is our house. We are married. We share everything or we did I guess. Please I will go I can find somewhere to go.” Rayna started putting her clothes back.

“Fine.” She said walking out of the room. Nick didn’t even want to think about what had just happened. He just let her go like that, but there wasn’t anything he could do to change her mind. Her mind was made up this was going to happen. He couldn’t believe he let things go as far as they did with Emelyn. He was mad and frustrated with himself. He gathered up a few shirts and pants and shoes and shoved them into a duffle bag and walked into the living room.

“I will tell the kids you had to move back in with the guys to work on the new album. You are welcome to come and visit, call, or Skype anytime but as far as even being able to trust you its out of the question right now until we can figure things out. I need some space to think and figure out what I want to do. We can pretend in front of the kids I don’t want them to know anything.” She stated. Nick nodded in agreement.

“I just want to say something before I leave.” He put the duffle bag down on the floor,” I know none of this will change your mind but I love you with everything that I am. I love you I love the kids I love the life we have together. I want us to be a family and I am sorry I fucked everything up for you and for the kids, and I hate myself for it I will never forgive myself for what I have done to you and the kids’ . I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have you and the kids’ around. I know I am not perfect hell I have made some terrible mistakes but I promise and I will prove to you I can change and I will change. We can figure this out and be a family again. I know this may be hard to believe but its true, I mean it from the bottom of my heart” Nick walked towards Rayna and wrapped his arms around her. She didn’t stop him she wanted him to hold her and comfort her even though it was hard to let him go, deep down in her heart she wanted to forgive him but a part of her just couldn’t, not yet. She needed time to heal.

“Nick I just can’t I’m sorry” Rayna pushed out of the hug and ran down the hall. As much as he wanted to run after her it was pointless it wouldn’t make the least bit of difference. He picked up his bag and walked out of the house and got into his car and just sat there and cried. He broke down he couldn’t take it any longer. He made so, so many mistakes and he was now paying deeply for them. He guesses what they say is true karma is a bitch.

Chapter End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed the chapter don't forget to R&R!