- Text Size +
Nick awoke to the ringing of his cell phone. He glanced at the clock and it was just a little after 2am.

“Who the hell is calling me at 2 in the morning,” he pondered to himself. He picked up his IPhone and answered it,” Hello?”

“May I speak with Nick please?”

“This is him. Look I am kind of in Japan and it’s early. I have a show to do later this evening. If you could just call back later on at a decent time I appreciate it.”

“Sir, this about your wife” Nick sat straight up in his bed. “Is everything ok?”

“I am afraid not sir. There has been a terrible accident. Your wife sustained serious injuries. I am sorry I have to inform you over the phone, but she didn’t make it.” Nick went silent. He felt his heart slowly breaking into a million pieces,” Mr. Carter?”

“I…I am here,” he choked out,” How did this happen?”

“There was a car accident. She was headed to the airport and was hit head on by an oncoming car. Like I had said before she sustained serious injuries and while they took her into emergency surgery her injuries were just too severe,” Nick’s eyes were filled up with tears,” I know this is hard Mr. Carter, but I need you to come out to Los Angeles and ID her body. The police feel that this was intentional and want to do a full investigation. Again, I am very sorry I had to tell you this over the phone Mr. Carter.”

“Yeah, I will be on the first flight out,” he said in-between sobs and whipping away his tears.

“I will let the LAPD know,” Nick hung up the phone and just cried. He cried like he has never cried before. She was gone his soul mate, his best friend, his lover. She was just gone. He whipped away his tears and got dressed and headed down the hall to Brian’s room. He hesitated for a second, but then knocked. No answer.

“Of course no answer its 2:30 in the fucking morning,” he thought to himself. He knocked again, once more no answer. He turned around to start walking away and the door opened.

“Nick?” Brian questioned as he rubbed his eyes,” It’s like 2:30 in the morning. Nick looked at Brian and just completely fell apart,” Nick what’s going on?” he asked.

“Rayna, she’s..” Nick couldn’t even spit out the words. He didn’t want to accept the fact she was gone and was never coming back.

“Nick come in and explain to me what is going on.” Nick walked into his room. He went and sat down on the nearest chair he could find and sat down,” Now what is going on with Rayna?” he said. Lost for words Nick could only cry. He couldn’t say anything.” Nick please tell me what is going you are starting to worry me,”

“There has been an accident Rok,” he quietly said,” She was hit head on by an oncoming car. She had serious injuries and emergency surgery couldn’t save her.” Tears rolled down Nick’s face once more. Brian pulled Nick in for a hug. He knew it couldn’t make the pain go away but at least Nick knew he was there for him,” The nurse on the phone said she was headed to the airport.” Brian pulled away from the hug.

“I know.” He said,” She was coming out to surprise you. She wanted to be here for the last night of the tour. Leighanne and the girls are taking turns with the kids.” Nick ran his fingers through his hair.

“I guess it doesn’t matter now. She isn’t ever coming back.”

“If you need to take a few days Nick…”

“This is the other reason I was coming to your room. They need me to fly back home and ID her body. I guess the LAPD think this was intentional and wants to start an investigation.”

“Whatever you need to do Nick just do it. We can handle it here. This is the last show and then we will be on the first flight out. Just go and take care of your family Nick. The kids are going to need you now more than ever. Nick got up from his seat and hugged Brian.

“Thank you. You have always been such a good friend Rok. I love you man,”

“Love you too bro. You are my family too. Please just call me when you land. If you need anything please just pick up the phone and call. I will drop whatever it is I am doing and be there. The other guys I am sure would do the same.” Nick gave Brian one last hug as he left the hotel room. He packed up his things and made arrangements to go back home. His main concern now was getting home to his children this was not going to be easy.

Chapter End Notes:
I am sorry for the lack of the updates. I have about four chapters written out right now. Hoping to post another one later this week :) Don't forget to review!