- Text Size +
Nick touched down in Los Angeles just ten hours later. He took the first direct flight he could find. He got off the plane quickly as possible and got his rental car. He didn’t want to go back home and face the kids just yet. He just wanted to get some answers. He called the LAPD on the way to the hospital. He parked the car and walked into the closet entrance he could find.

“May I help you?”

“Yes, my wife came in I think yesterday. I mean this morning; sorry my days are all mixed up.” He said

“Do you know what room she is in sir?” He couldn’t spit it out there were no words coming out of his mouth, “Sir?”

“She is in the morgue” he quietly said.

“It’s on the bottom floor.” Nick nodded his head and walked to the nearest elevator. He walked in and pressed the button that said “Floor”. He had never thought he would have to bury his wife. First there was Melissa and now Rayna joined her. The reflection he had been experiencing wasn’t helping. A tear rolled down his face suddenly when the elevator stopped. He wiped away the tear with his sleeve and took a deep breath and walked towards a lady sitting at a desk.

“May I help you sir?”

“Yes, I was told that some defectives would be waiting for me. They should be from the LAPD. My wife came in this morning.”

“Name?”

“Rayna Carter”

“Let me see if they are on their way. There is a waiting room just around the corner there.” He walked around the corner and sat down in a chair. He almost hoped it wouldn’t be her and someone was just playing some cruel joke on him. He wanted it to be some other girl who just looked like her. His gut feeling was telling him otherwise,” They should be here in just a few minutes Mr. Carter. They got tied up in traffic. Just hang tight”

“Hang tight? Did she really just tell me to hang tight,” he thought,” Who in their right mind would tell that to someone who has lost someone?” Nick sighed and looked at his phone. Messages upon messages from the guys sending their condolences; it was like some kind of a pity party getting ready to set in. When Nick looked up there were two men standing there. He stood up shoving his phone into his pocket.

“Hello Mr. Carter I am detective Campbell and this is Detective Roberts. “ he said extending his hand,” I am sorry that took so long to get down here. Traffic isn’t the greatest today.”

“I understand. I am sure you weren’t expecting me for a few more hours or so. I took the first direct flight out I could find.” He said.

“This I am sure can’t be easy for you sir. I can’t promise this will be easy. “The detectives led Nick back around the corner.” We are ready” he told the nurse. She got up from her station and led them into the next room. When Nick walked in he felt uneasy about being in there. The room had nothing but metal compartments from the floor to the ceiling. They stopped by a table there was a blue sheet covering the body,” Just let us know if it is her.” The nurse slowly pulled back the sheet and exposed the body. Nick took one look and just fell completely to his knees. It was her. She was gone. Everything just kind of flashed before his eyes for a split moment. The talks on Skype, her holding the twins for the first time, getting married on the beach, and then witnessing the birth of Darren. Those were now just memories,” I know this is a lot to take in Mr. Carter, but there is one more thing. We would like to tell you this in private if you don’t mind coming down to the station.” Nick nodded his head and was silent. No words could be expressed,” If you need to take a few days just let us know, but the sooner you come down to the station the sooner we can get the investigation started.”

“I will be there,” he said,” I haven’t been back to my house yet. I still have to figure out how to tell my children.”

…………..

Nick arrived at the police station.

“I wonder what else is going on,” he thought,” I cannot wait for this nightmare of a day to be over with,” he thought a little more.

“Have a seat Mr. Carter,” the detective Campbell said. Nick sat down in the chair,” I am sure you are curious as to why we asked you down here.” Nick nodded,” Well I am sure you have been told by now that this is a murder investigation.” He paused for a moment,” Your wife was intentionally harmed. We actually have a suspect in custody. She survived the crash with only minor injuries.” Nick felt his anxiety start to rise. He wanted to know who had done this to Rayna.

“Who was it?”

“Her name was Emelyn Bryan. The hospital said she was yelling if she couldn’t have you then no one could” Nick felt his blood just start to boil. He was furious.

“How could she have done this to me,” he thought,,” Knowing I loved Rayna” Nick thought once more. He ran his fingers through his hair.

“So what happens now?” he asked.

“Well she will be evaluated. I don’t know what will exactly happen since she confessed to everything. My guess ais her lawyer will try to take out an insanity plea.” Nick leaned back into his chair. He couldn’t believe this was happening. The karma that he knew was coming was now real,” There is one more matter we have to discuss.” Nick looked at the detective Campbell with a puzzled look on his face,” She also said there is a child. You fathered her baby Lorelei. We looked up the birth certificate and you are listed. Is this true or just some crazy fan?” Nick sighed. The truth is finally coming out.

“It’s true.” He confessed,” Rayna didn’t know about the baby. I am ashamed of it. I made so many mistakes and now look where I am.”

“I know you have a lot of grieving to do Mr. Carter, but right now I have this child that needs a home.”

“Like in you want me to adopt her?” he questioned.

“Well essentially yes since you are her legal father. You will have full custody over her. If you wish not to pursue adopting her she will either go to Emelyn’s mother or go into foster care” Nick sighed. There were so many things going through his brain at that point in time,” I know there is a lot for you to still do Mr. Carter. You don’t need to decide anything today you are welcome to take a few days to think about it. I understand you and your wife have a few children of your own.” Nick let out a heavy sigh.

“I need to get home to my family right now. I will take it into consideration. I have funeral arrangements to make.” He said getting up.

“I understand Mr. Carter, but unfortunately I will need to know by the end of the week.” Nick nodded in agreement. Nick walked out to his car and just sat there. He lost his wife, but gained a child. The last thing he wanted to think about was telling the children. This was going to be such a hard task. He started the car and drove to his house. This was going to be the worst conversation of his life.

Chapter End Notes:
Please read and review!