- Text Size +

Why did she have to go So young I just don’t know why Things happen half the time Without reason, without rhyme Lovely sweet young woman Daughter, wife and mother Makes no sense to me I just have to believe

It was a rainy day in Los Angeles as the seven limos pulled up to the cemetery. Everyone was still in shock including Raya’s parents. Nick flew them in from Seattle that morning. Everything was so hard to believe. She was the one person that made him the happiest despite all the mistakes he has made in their relationship in the past. She still loved him.

She flew up to heaven On the wings of angels By the clouds, and stars And passed where no one sees And she walks with Jesus And her loved ones waiting And I know she’s saying Don’t worry about me

Nick was having her be buried next to Melissa. He never thought he would be burying her so soon. His heart ached. He wanted her to be home. He wanted her back. He knew he made many mistakes in his life. He just never thought he would be paying the price of losing his wife. He certainly vowed he’d never marry again. He just wanted to focus on his children.

Loved ones she left behind Just trying to survive And understand why Feeling so lost inside Anger shot straight at God Then asking for his love Empty with disbelief Just hoping that maybe

The kids took the news hard. They haven’t even left the master bedroom. They cuddle into Nick’s bed every night and cry. Darren doesn’t understand where his mother is and why she is never coming back. Hunter and Olivia understand but are having a hard time accepting she is gone. Madison seems to be the worst her night terrors are getting worse by the day. Even Nick can’t take it. He is so upset by the situation. He is so sad and angry at Emelyn for taking Rayna away from his family. He blames himself really but she ultimately will pay the price for what she has done.

She flew up to heaven On the wings of angels By the clouds and stars And passed where no one sees And she walks with Jesus And her loved ones waiting And I know she’s saying Don’t worry about me

Brian walked up to Nick and put his hand on his shoulder. Nick turned around and gave Brian a hug. Tears rolled down his face. Each band mate followed and gave Nick a hug. They all couldn’t believe she was gone. One minute Leighanne and Brian were planning a huge party for her arrival; and then the next minute she was gone and they were attending her funeral.

It’s hard to say goodbye Her picture in my mind They’ll always be times I cherish And I won’t cry cause A few words were said and two men started lowering her casket into the ground. It was now time to say goodbye; the final goodbye. The kids huddled under Nick’s umbrella while everyone walked by and threw red roses onto her casket. It was hard enough seeing her go into the ground but saying goodbye was even harder. All the memories he has with her are just what they are, memories. She won’t get to see the kids’ grow up like he will. She won’t get to see them get married or have children of their own. It made him sad. There was nothing he could do about it. If he could switch places with her he would. He would do anything to have her back.

She flew up to heaven On the wings of angels By the clouds and stars And passed where no one sees And she walks with Jesus And her loved ones waiting And I know she’s saying Don’t worry about me

After the service was over, and the casket was fully lowered into the ground the rain finally cleared. The sun started to shine. Nick had taken this as a sign and realized she was looking down. He knew she wouldn’t want him to be sad, but to remember the good times they had together. The grieving process had only begun and it was going to be a long road ahead of them. It was time to move forward. It was the only thing he could do.

Chapter End Notes:
Song "Sissys Song" by Alan Jackson.