- Text Size +
Saturday night rolled around smoothly, Delilah avoided Nick most of the time and he stayed out late with June to give her room. He went out to the store to gather some things that Delilah needed for dinner. When he got back she was in the kitchen with Adele blaring on the stereo. She was sipping a glass of wine while belting the words to 'I Can't Make You Love Me.' He felt his heart tighten a little at the amount of pain that carried in her voice. When she noticed him standing at the door she didn't coward down, instead she looked him straight in the eyes as she sang.

Morning will come

and I'll do what's right,

just give me till then,

to give up this fight,

and I will give up this fight.

On the last note she turned away from him.

A few minutes later her friends arrived, Trish was wearing a red dress and nude pumps, her blonde hair curled and sitting in a messy bun. Jeremy had on a black shirt and black jeans, his blonde hair styled in the messy do. June was wearing a navy blue dress and black pumps, her red hair straight in a pony tail.

Nick walked out wearing a beige sweater with the sleeves rolled up and dark jeans, his hair was styled up.

Max walked in after Jeremy, closing the door behind him. Trish smiled, "Max you remember Delilah don't you?"

He smiled, flashing pearly whites and dimples at Delilah, "Of course, How are you Delilah?" He leaned over to give her a hug, he smelled good. After shave or cologne? She looked at him taking him in. Wow he's changed, how long has it been since I last saw him? 2 years? The wedding? He was so much smaller then, guys get so much better with age. Jeremy was telling them about the mishap in the airport picking him up. Delilah glanced at Max, wearing a dark blue button up shirt with his sleeves rolled up to his elbows, untucked and black jeans. He is tall, around 6'2, broad shoulders, chisled jaw with some stuble, green eyes. Not bad. Delilah smirked.

"There is wine on the table being chilled, and beer in the fridge. Make yourselves at home, dinner will be ready in about 15-20 minutes." Delilah walked into the kitchen with June and Trish behind her.

Delilah turned to Trish when she was out of hearing distance from the guys, "When did Max get so attractive?"

Trish laughed, "You see my problem? Lord he looks like Jensen Ackles and its killing me!"

June nodded, "Yea he does! Good God!" She started telling them something she read about Supernatural.

Delilah wasn't paying attention, she turned to look over at the guys. She decided to take this opportunity to really get a look at him, his jeans fit him so well. She traced her way up his back, where his shirt hugged his shoulders, then down his biceps as he had his arms crossed. She then noticed Nick watching her, she met his eyes. He raised his eyebrows and smirked, humor filling his eyes as he caught her checking Max out. Delilah blushed slightly and turned back to the conversation next to her.

During dinner, Nick was telling some story about an event he was at a few months ago.

Max leaned over to Delilah, "You look really nice tonight."

Smiled and looked down at her plum colored dress that sat above her knee, and ran a hand through her hair."Thank you."

He blinked and kept his eyes down taking all of her in, then looked up into her eyes and smiled. She felt stomach start to do flips, excitement rising from the way he was looking at her.

He then turned to everyone after Nick had finished talking, "Well I think I speak for everyone by saying this dinner is amazing. Is this goat cheese?"

Delilah nodded hoping her face wasn't bright red anymore, "Yes it is, one of my favorite ingredients to cook with."

Nick saw the exchange between Max and Delilah, the way they looked at each other. He left her flustered, it was so strange to be in the same room with her again.

After dinner, they had gone through two bottles of wine sitting in the living room talking. Music playing softly in the background. Max is a lawyer in New York now, so he was describing one the big cases he has had. Delilah watched as his jaw moved and tightened with different words. A tipsy June decided it was time to play a game, truth or dare. She giggled, "Let's pretend to be teenagers guys! I would suggest spin the bottle but I don't want to share Nick." She gazed at him, and he smiled. She then turned back, "Oh truth or dare!"

Delilah shook her head but laughed, "I'm down for a few laughs, lets play."

Max raised his eyebrow at Delilah, "Teenagers it is then."

June started first, "Yay! Ok Nick truth or dare."

He was caught off guard, "Um, truth."

She put her finger on her chin as she thought of something, "Have you ever cheated on someone?"

Delilah was taking a sip of her drink, and gasped as she heard the question causing her to start coughing. Everyone looked at her, Nick glared. She laughed, "I'm sorry, went down the wrong pipe. Go on." She cleared her throat avoiding Nick's eyes.

He turned to June and shook his head, "Regardless of what you have read in the tabloids no I have not cheated."

June beamed and clapped. Nick glanced at Delilah who raised her eyebrow and shook her head enough for just him to see.

Trish, who was also tipsy, raised her hand."My turn! Delilah truth or dare."

Delilah knowing her friend too well went with the less dangerous choice, "Truth."

Trish giggled, "How long have you been on a dry spell?"

Delilah's eyes widened, "Wow Trish!"

This time it was Nick's turn to laugh, "Come on Delilah, you picked truth, you have to answer."

Delilah glared at him, then turned her glare to Trish,"Fine. About a year and a half, maybe two."

Trish shook her head, "Damn child, haven't you heard of one-night stands?"

Jeremy laughed as he drank his beer, "Do me! Someone do me!"

Max turned to Delilah and the corner of his mouth curved up, "Dry-spell? We might have to do something about that." He watched her expression change to shock, then he turned to his brother calling out a dare.

Later on that evening, Delilah stepped out on the porch needing some air. Her house was on the water, and this time of the year the evenings were cooler. The wind blew through her hair, she closed her eyes.She heard the sliding door open and close behind her. She was hoping it was Max but was disappointed to see Nick.

"Hi."

She turned back towards the ocean without saying a word.

He continued, "So this has been an interesting night. We've managed to be civilized."

She scoffed, "Yes we have, it has been quite hard."

"What is that suppose to mean?"

She turned to him, "Like you don't know? How about you just lied during that game of truth or dare Nick?"

He rolled his eyes, "How do you think she would have handled knowing that I have cheated?"

She laughed, "Oh she's cheated before, so she wouldn't really care. She probably would freak more if she knew you cheated on me when I was your wife."

Just then they heard a voice at the door,"I'm sorry, what?"