- Text Size +
“Blind Within The Shadows”

“You drain me dry and make me wonder why I'm even here. This Double Vision I was seeing is finally clear. You want to stay but you know very well I want you gone...Not fit to fucking tread the ground that I'm walking on” Maroon 5 – “Harder to Breathe”

Chapter Three: Freak

Jessica jumps out of Brian’s burgundy jeep as soon as he parks at the school, grabbing her backpack, flinging her short golden locks out of her face. She shifts her gaze over to her friend as he climbs out as well. Jessica opens her mouth to say something, but is stopped by the load roar of a motorcycle as Kevin drives up to the parking spot next to them and cuts off the engine.

Jessica looks over to him, “Ready for another day in this hellhole?”

“Jessie, now you know it’s not THAT bad.” Kevin replies with a grin, running a hand through his raven colored tresses, his emerald eyes sparkling.

“Yeah Jess, it could be worse.”

“Oh yeah,” She spits out, her voice dripping with sarcasm, heading to the entrance to the high school along with Brian and Kevin following her. “People could actually notice me.”

“People notice you.”

“Sure they do, just the other day my anatomy teacher called me Jackie, and he’s had me all year and I even try to ya know, actually participate. Oh and the fact someone almost took my chair while I was still sitting in it because he didn’t notice me there. Heh yeah I’m noticed Brian.”

Kevin smiles at her comfortingly, “You have three more years here, so you have time to get yourself noticed at least.”

“This from the senior who’s eager to get the hell out of here.”

The bell rings shrilly, and Jessica sighs, not very eager for class. She shifts her backpack and glances at her two friends. Her first class was Journalism I, a class for all grades which she had with Kevin. She smiles some at Brian, to let him know she’d be okay as always.

“I’ll see ya at lunch Bri.”

“Alright, later then.”

“Later.”

Kevin nods at Brian, “I’ll see you in Chemistry.”

“Yeah.”

Brian goes off down the hall and Kevin and Jessica head in a different direction. He watches her for a moment before speaking up. “Brian said you woke up from your fainting spell screaming for someone again.”

“I’m fine, just some whacked out dream Kev, no big.”

“He was worried.”

“He always worries.”

“Come on, wouldn’t I tell you if I wasn’t okay?”

Kevin snorts with amusement at the statement. “No.”

Jessica laughs, walking inside the classroom and taking her regular seat. No one takes much notice to her as she does. “I so would!” Kevin walks inside after her and she watches as several people greet him. She sighs, she hates it here, she hates it at home. She feels there’s just no place for her to fit. She feels out of place, like an extra piece to a puzzle that’s already been completed. She sighs, fiddling with her pen as Kevin finally sits down beside her. As the teacher calls roll, Jessica lets her mind wander. Too much has been on her mind lately.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Nick lays back on the couch sighing, the clock ticked slowly, the only noise within the house. He had decided to just remain home and pretend to be sick, not wanting to deal with anyone after yesterday. He yawns as he turns on his TV, flipping through channels. Lately he has had too much on his mind. Things he wants to forget. Strange things that have occurred throughout his past, and have lay dormant for years until now when it started coming out again just a few weeks ago when he started preparing for basketball. His mind drifts off to the few blurry memories from before he had been adopted. They were more images and feelings than actual memories, but they are all he has. He himself did not understand why they were so fuzzy to him since he had been in the agency for seven years, but up until he hit age six, they were. He strains his mind to remember, he is so curious about his birth parents, but of course would never hurt his mother by asking. He sighs as mentally he hears anonymous voices from his childhood within his mind…

“Come on slowpoke!” He hears himself cry, giggling.

“I’m just as fast as you Nicky!”

“Race ya!”

“Go!”

“Hey no fair…” he hears himself laugh with joy and innocence…


“Nick!”

Nick jumps up with surprise and falls off of the cloud. He hears familiar laughter and looks up to see Alex stand before him laughing. He sets his backpack on the floor and holds out a hand; Nick grabs it and lets him let him up. He runs a hand through his tousled sun-kissed tresses.

“What’s with the space moments man?”

“What do you mean…”

“This, I find you out of it all the time.” He smirks, “Is it a girl?”

Nick shakes his head and flops back on the couch, grabbing the remote and beginning his channel surfing again. “No, not a girl.”

Alex watches him, raising an eyebrow at him. “This about your check up the other day still?”

“No.”

“Nick-”

“I’m fine.”

“Look will you listen to-”

“I’m alright man, I was just a little sick today. Now I feel fine.” he grins, pushing all questioning thoughts out of his mind. Why think about something that won’t ever change? It’s pointless. “Up for some basketball?”

~*~*~*~*~*~

Jessica walks into the gym, wearing her PE uniform. She hates this class. She knows how her body works so she must make sure she doesn’t let her body relax until she is back at her house. She’s thankful this is her last class at least. It would be very uncomfortable if she had to remain tense though classes until that final bell rang. Not that she is ever eager to go home. If one could call it a home. She thought of it more as a boot camp. What did it matter? This is all she knows, the only life she has had. She just knows there can be something better for her. Brian and Kevin have showed her that.

She does her stretches along with the rest of the class. She stands in the back as always, invisible to others in every sense of the word. At least they were doing something she liked and is good at. Tae Bo. While the exercises got more and more difficult, she is able to keep up when other students struggled or took breaks. She keeps going, feeling more and more energized as time goes on instead of tired like everyone else. As if a fire is being built within her. Then as she does her punches something completely unexpected happens. A blow glow surrounds her hands and she speeds up. She blinks as her hands glow a brighter and brighter blue and seem to be surrounded by a neon blue fire. The brunette next to her watches her with horror.

“OH MY GOD!” she cries out. “She’s fucking glowing! What’s going on with her!” She’s a freak! A freak!”

Jessica looks down at herself and sees her fists surrounded by that light. Her eyes widen. This has never happened to her before. Without thinking she stops, and forgets to keep her body tense. The room spins, everything becoming a blur as consciousness leaves her and her body collapses to the mat.