- Text Size +
“Hello, Nickolas,” Kevin Richardson said, walking into the studio he owned and seeing his young apprentice already at work.

“Mr. Richardson,” Nick said, concentrating on the painting he was working on.

Kevin admired the young artist’s work.

“She’s beautiful,” he said.

Nick nodded.

“Someone you know?”

Nick shook his head.

“Only from a dream. She’s been in my dreams quite a bit,” Nick explained.

The woman in question had dark blonde, curly hair, and mysterious eyes. She had this aura about her, as if she held a secret and dared someone to ask what it was.

She also looked very familiar to Kevin, but he couldn’t place where he’d seen her before.

“Okay, now, with your mind, add the finishing to it,” Kevin said. He watched as Nick concentrated. As he did, the painting seem to shimmer and finally had a magic all on its own.
“One of your best yet, Nickolas,” Kevin said approvingly.

“Thank you, Mr. Richardson,” Nick said.

“Would you mind going to the mercantile and picking up some new brushes and paint? Tell them to charge it to my account, and I’ll pay the tab this coming Friday,” Kevin asked.

Nick nodded, and set out for the mercantile.

“Hello, Mr. Nickolas,” a pretty brunette said, bowing her head to him.

“Hi, Miss Vivian, how are you today?” Nick asked.

“Oh, I’m doing okay. Are you headed to the mercantile?”

“Yes, Miss Vivian. How about yourself?”

“No, to the bakery. Mother is holding some tea, welcoming the new residents. An old magic type of family, the Woods.”

Nick smiled.

“Well you should be off. Ask your mother to come by the gallery sometime, Mr. Richardson would love to see her, I’m sure,” he said.

“Oh, I will. Have a nice day, Mr. Nickolas,” Vivian said.

Nick walked into the mercantile where he saw a bit of a commotion going on in the back.

“Mr. Woods, it’s an honor to have you in my store, and your daughter is even lovelier than the rumors have claimed. Please feel free to look around, and ask me when you need help. Nickolas, come here!” Howard Dorough, the mercantile’s owner, beckoned. “Mr. Woods, Miss Woods, this is Nickolas Carter, an apprentice of Kevin Richardson.”

“The renowned artist? Why, Nickolas, you must be very talented for him to take you on as an apprentice,” Mr. Woods, a refined looking man, said. His demeanor oozed with authority, and he observed Nick with a firm gaze. He finally extended his hand, and Nick shook it.

“Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Woods.”

“Melanie, come here and meet Mr. Dorough’s acquaintance,” Mr. Woods said.

“Yes, Father,” a voice said.

Nick’s eyes widened at the sight of Melanie Woods. He’d seen her before. He had just painted her likeness a few short moments before coming to the mercantile.

The painting did not do her justice.

“Miss Woods, it is a pleasure to meet you,” he said softly, bowing his head in respect.

Looking up, he saw her smile softly at him.

“And you as well, Mr. Nickolas.”

**************************************

Melanie smiled at the young man in front of her as Howard raved about his paintings, yet Melanie hardly heard him. Nickolas was just so…handsome. His eyes looked at her as if he already knew her. His smile was kind and warming, and one of the first genuine smiles she had been given in the few short hours she’d been in this community.

“Well, Melanie, we’d best be off. Your mother is waiting.”

“Goodbye, Mr. Howard and Mr. Nickolas,” she said to the two men, smiling and giving a small wave.

Once in the carriage, Mr. Woods sighed.

“Melanie, I know this move is hard for you, and what is expected of you is harder still, but I wish you would be a bit more cooperative.”

“Father, what is demanded of me is unbearable, and I am being as cooperative as I possibly can, given the circumstances.”

Mr. Woods looked at his daughter with sympathy.

“Mr. Tennant will be a good husband for you. He is very magically inclined and-“

“He is too powerful to say no to, and to anger him is unwise to do. I know this. And yet, your only daughter is to be his wife to settle an ancient debt. I can’t understand the reasoning.”

“He will curse our family forever if it’s not settled.”

Melanie sighed.

“It seems I am cursed no matter what.”
Chapter End Notes:


This is going to be a short story, just an experiment and a challenge entry type thing.