- Text Size +
Chapter 6
Sitting there watching Alex pace back and forth I had glanced over at Nick a few times. He was giving Brian this evil look. “I can’t fuckin’ believe this shit man.” Nick said still looking at Brian. “Hey it’s not my fault!” Brian said back to him. “Nick I told you I never told anyone.” I said. “Then how come all these years we’ve never met you? Were you at there weddings?” “Yes, I was. But I never stayed for the reception. I always left right after.” “Why didn’t you stay?” Howie asked. “Because of Dena. I needed to get home for her.” Then I turned to Alex. “I also knew if I had stayed I would have had to face you. I just couldn’t do it.”

That’s when Alex stopped pacing and looked right at me. “You felt ashamed of what we created?” “Alex we were young and dumb during that time. And yeah I was ashamed at that time. To tell you the truth… I still am ashamed. But I don’t regret it.” I said trying my hardest not to start crying. “That little girl kept me going. Looking at her as she was growing up she was starting to more and more look like you.” I turned from Alex and looked over at Brian. “I’m just surprised that you or even Kevin didn’t notice.” “I guess I really didn’t pay close attention.” Brian said. “But come to think, she does sure act a lot like him, in a strange way.” He said with a smile.

The room fell quite again as I  looked over at Nick then to Alex. Alex pushed out of his chair and headed for the door. “Where you heading off too?” Brian asked looking over at him. “Out. I’ll be on my bus.” “Alex, do you want company?” I asked standing up. “I just need to be alone for a while.” He said leaving. I turned back around and looked at the others confused. That’s when Nick got up and headed towards the door. “Nick, now were are you going?” Howie asked. “To the other room.” He said as he headed down the hall. I stood there a moment then followed him. When I got to the room I found him standing by the couch watching Baylee and Dena. “Nick are you mad at me?” I carefully asked. “I don’t have a reason to be. No I’m not mad at you. I’m mad at myself.”

I stood back confused as to why he would be mad at himself. Standing there thinking I glanced down at Dena then looked back at Nick. That’s when it hit me. Dena was trying to set me up with Nick. “Nick I’m sorry.” I whispered. “Why are you sorry? You didn’t do anything.” “I know but I think you are mad at me because Dena was trying to hook us up.” “What?” “My daughter has always had a huge crush on you. She had told me that if she ever got the chance to meet you that she wanted us to get together. I just…” That’s when I noticed him turn away. “Nick… she’s nine.” “I know.” He whispered. “You like me don’t you?” I asked. Nick nodded his head. “I do like you. I know I don’t know you but I would have really liked to have gotten to know you.” “But you can.” “How?! Ally you’re going to be spending a lot of your time with AJ.” “That doesn’t mean that we can’t be friends. Can we be friends?" Nick turned away from me and stuck his hands in his pockets. Then he nodded his head again. “Yeah, I guess so.” “Thank you Nicky.” I said with a smile as I shoulder bumped him. He did it back and also smiled.

We stood there watching the kids when I heard someone clearing there throat. We both turned to see Brian and Howie enter the room. “So you two okay?” Brian asked. “We’re okay.” Nick said smiling down at me. “Why don’t you go find AJ. We’ll take Dena to the bus.” Brian said as he walked over to the couch. “But I need to get her home.” “No, you need to talk to AJ.” “I should call Geoff.” “Allison don’t worry.” “But if I don’t call…” “He’ll understand. Geoff’s a good guy. He trusts you.” “I know. It’s just… trusting myself. I just don’t wanna hurt him.” “Ally, Geoff loves you. What ever happens he’ll still love you.” “I know but…” “Go. Talk to AJ. I’ll call Geoff for you.” “Thank you.”

Once I got out to were the busses were I found Marcus standing by Alex’s. “Hey Allison.” “Hi Marcus. May I talk to Alex?” “He did tell me not to let anybody on.” “Please, I need to talk to him.” Marcus looked around then back at me. “Okay, here’s the deal. You’re gonna head back to the door and I’m gonna step away. Once I’m gone you’re on your own. So if he asks I know nothing.” “Thank you.” I said before turning around and walking back towards the door.

Waiting on the other side I peeked out to see that Marcus was gone so I headed back to his bus. Opening the door I stepped on and found Alex curled on the couch. Legs crossed, arms over his chest and steady breathing. He was asleep. Sitting down at his waist I placed my hand on his arm. “Alex.” I whispered. “Alex wake up.” “Mmm. What?” “We need to talk.” “Now?” “Yes.” He turned onto his side and placed his arms around my waist. “So talk.” “Then wake up.” “I’m awake. What do you want?” He said now looking up at me. “First I want to apologize to you about everything.” “Apology accepted.” He said with a yawn. “Now can I go back to sleep?” “Alex?” “What?” He said in a whiny voice. “I’m serious.” “Baby so am I. I’m tired. I’ve had a long day and I need sleep.” He said pulling away to get up. So I got back up and headed for the front of the bus. “Fine then.” “What you’re not joining me?” He asked glancing over his shoulder. “I’m dating someone.” “So.” “You’re a pig. And I’m not gonna sleep with you.” I said turning away. “No. I just wanted you to lay with me so I can just hold you.” I looked over at him. “Just to hold me? That it?” “Yeah. That’s it. Nothing more. I promise you.” He said putting out his hand.

I walked back over to him and took his out reached hand. He led us to the back of the bus were his bed was and he went into his draw and handed me a shirt to wear while he stripped down to a wife beater and boxers. Crawling in next to him he pulled me close to his chest and held me. “Thank you for staying with me.” “You’re welcome. And again I’m sorry.” “Shh. Don’t worry about it. We’ll talk more about it in the morning. Now close your pretty eyes and go to sleep.” Closing my eyes Alex cuddled closer to me as I could feel his warm breath on the back of my neck. I was starting to feel really good having him next to me. Truth has it… I missed this.