- Text Size +
Chapter 7
The following morning I woke up with a start. I was starting to get worried until I remembered that I had stayed with Alex last night. As I tried to get up I was pulled closer to Alex’s chest. Then he moaned into my neck. “Mmm, morning.” He whispered. “Morning.” “Did you sleep okay?” He asked as he moved a bit. That’s when I looked down and ran my finger across his tattooed arm. I didn’t know how to answer his question. I know I slept great. The best I’d ever slept in a long time. But it was just telling him that. “Baby?” He said sitting up to look down at me.” “You okay?” “I’m sorry.” I said as I was now able to pull away from him to sit up on the edge of his bed. “I should go.” I said reaching over for my clothes and heading towards the bathroom to get dressed.  

As I headed out to the front of the bus I found Alex sitting at the little kitchen table eating a bowl of cereal. Walking past him to leave he took hold of my wrist. “Ally.” I stopped and just stood there. Then I handed him my business card. “Call when you’re not busy. Well set a time so you can see Dena.” I said as he just looked at the card on the table. Then he looked back up at me. “But Ally…” “Bye Alex.” I said quickly leaving the bus.

Over the past few months was difficult for me. I hadn’t heard or even talked to Alex since that day on his bus. I was starting to think that him finding out about Dena was all a joke to him. That he really didn’t care about her at all. I’m starting to think that I’m just glad that I didn’t tell her about him. “Allison.” Looking up from my work I noticed that Geoff was standing at the door. I gave him a small smile as I took off my glasses and rubbed the bridge of my nose. “What are you thinking sweetie?” He asked. “Nothing.” “Allison don’t lie to me. Your thinking about Alex aren’t you?” He asked as I looked up at him. “I’m sorry.” “Hey, don’t worry about it.” He said sitting down in the chair across from me. “Have you heard from him lately?” “No.” I said with a sigh. 

Geoff got back out of his chair and walked around the desk. “Baby you need a break.” “I can’t. I have a deadline by the end of this week and I’m only half way through it.” “Then starting this weekend you’re taking a vacation. I had called your Aunt Jackie. She and your Aunt Anne are expecting you and Dena.” I looked at him shocked. “Why?” “Because you need too. Spend some time with your family. Maybe they can help you with this. These last two months you’ve been talking to me about Alex none stop. Maybe your aunts can help.” “I don’t know.” “You need to get away from all this work. It’ll still be here when you get back.” He said pulling me into his arms. “Are you coming too?” “You know I can’t. My job requires me here.” “So does mine.” “But yours can wait. I’m on call twenty-four/seven. You know if I could I would.” I sighed. “I know.” I whispered.

By Friday afternoon I had Dena and my luggage packed into the car. All I had to do now was mail out my reports and wait for Dena to get home from school. When I got back from the mailbox I had found Geoff sitting in the kitchen on the phone. “Okay… Not a problem… I’m glad she’s finally doing this… She’ll be glad to see you… Alright, talk to you later.” He said before hanging up the phone. “Who was that?” I asked. “No body. You’ll see when you get to Lexington airport.” Geoff said standing up and walking over to me. “Why can’t you just tell me?” “Because I promised.” He said slipping his hands around my waist. “I love you. You know that right?” I said. “I know you do.” He replied. I pulled back and looked up at him with a slight grin. “You are so beautiful.” He said running his hand through my hair. “I’m gonna miss you so much.” “I’ll miss you too.” I said.

Just at that moment the front door burst open and Dena yelled out. “MAMA!!! GEOFF!!!” “In the kitchen baby.” I said. She ran into the kitchen and placed her backpack on the chair. “Mama are we…” That’s when she looked up at us. “What’s wrong mama?” I pulled back from Geoff and looked down at Dena. “Nothing sweetie. Mama’s just gonna miss Geoff that’s all.” “Oh… Is Uncle Brian and Uncle Kevin gonna be there?” She asked as she went and grabbed a juice box from the fridge. “Uncle Kevin might be but I don’t think Uncle Brian will.” “Why not?” She asked before taking a sip of juice. “Because he’ll most likely be working?” “Doing his concerts and stuff?” “That’s right. But we might call and see if Auntie Leighanne is home.” I looked up at Geoff and smiled.

Standing there a moment thinking I was just glad that we had a couple months off for summer break. Maybe we’ll be lucky that Leighanne and Baylee will be home so Dena will have someone to play with. “Mama let’s go already!” Dena said getting excited as she stood by the car. “Why don’t you get in. I’ll be just a sec.” “Okay.” She said smiling at me. I turned back around and looked at Geoff. “Miss me?” I asked him. “Of course.” I said leaning in and kissing me softly. He pulled back from me and I looked at him confused before getting in behind the wheel. “Drive safe.” “I will. I love you.” “You too.” He said before turning around and heading back into the house. Some thing was going on. Geoff was starting to act strange. I watched him head back into the house as I was pulling out of the drive. Confused and a little lost on the way he was acting. I just brushed it off as I tried to concentrate on the road.