- Text Size +
~Layla~
I finished out the week working with Sam. The following week things would start to pick up with getting ready for the tour.

I went out to eat with Angel on Wednesday and introduced her to Marissa. They instantly connected, probably cause they were about the same age. We went shopping for baby stuff.

Angel told us that Corey and she were not agreeing on whether to find out what they are having. He wants to wait and be surprised but she wants to find out.


I saw Nick here and there throughout the week. We flirted like lovesick teenagers when we were around each other and he would always find some way to touch me. If someone would come along and try to make a comment I would tell them to shut up before they could.

Monday afternoon was my first day of work with Stacey. She went over a lot of information with me. Their wardrobe, changes between sets, the cleaning and storing of the clothes were among a few of the things we went over.

Tuesday afternoon the guys were due in for a fitting to make sure all the clothes still fit properly.

That morning I went for a run. I took a shower after I got back. Seeing as I had plenty of time, I sat down to check my email. Getting excited when I saw an email from one of my brothers, I opened it and began to read.

“Oh crap” I said out loud to myself.

I ran downstairs and was surprised to find all five guys in the kitchen.

“Where’s the fire?” AJ asked.

“Um, where is Marissa?” I asked looking around.

“She went with Leighanne to get some lunch for all of us” Brian informed me.

“Shit” I mumbled to myself but I think they all heard me.

“Is everything ok?” Kevin asked

“Um, I’m not sure but it’s something I need to talk to Marissa about” I told them.

Just then my cell phone rang. I had grabbed it before I came downstairs so I could show Marissa the email instead of dragging my computer down. I looked at it but I didn’t know the phone number that was on the screen. I hesitated about answering it but figured it might be someone from the tour.

“Hello?” I answered nervously.

“Layla, what the hell is going on?”

“Jason?”

“Yes”

I sighed with relief, it was my brother. The guys just looked at me weird so I turned to go back upstairs. I didn’t want them to hear my conversation.

“I didn’t know the number and got a little freaked out”

“I’m calling from work”

“I literally just read your email like 10 minutes ago”

“But I sent it two days ago”

“I know but I’ve been a little busy, I’m sorry”

“So are you going to tell me what’s going on?”

I began to fill my brother in about Marissa showing up.


~Nick~
“Who’s Jason?” I asked out loud but then regretted it.

“Why, is someone jealous that Layla is talking to another guy?” AJ teased. I hit him in the arm.

“What do you think that was all about?” Brian asked.

“My guess is something to do with Marissa, I just hope that her husband didn’t find out where she is” AJ commented.

“Then who is Jason?” I asked again.
“Family member?” Howie suggested.

“Didn’t she say she has three brothers?” AJ questioned.

“Yea but one of them passed away in a car accident when she was 17” I blurted out.

I heard a bunch of what’s? Come from the guys. Me and my damn mouth. I’m guessing from their reaction that she hadn’t told anyone that, she probably told Leighanne though.

“I don’t know if I was supposed to say that” I told them. I knew they wouldn’t say anything to her about it though.

Family seemed to be a pretty sore subject from her. She only shared small bits and pieces, and they were all good. But I’m guessing there was just as much bad if she hardly talked about them. Even when Marissa would try to bring up a story or something about their family, Layla would try to change the subject right away.

About 20 minutes later Leighanne and Marissa arrived home. The guys and I helped bring in the food.

“Hey Marissa, you might want to go up and talk to Layla, she came down here before looking for you, it seemed pretty important” AJ informed her.

Marissa face went a little pale.

“Thanks” she said before going upstairs.

“Is everything ok?” Leighanne asked with a worried look.

“We don’t know yet, I’m sure if its anything serious they will let us know” Brian reassured her.

We all dug into the food and went outside to eat. A little while later Layla and Marissa joined us with their food.

No one said anything for a couple minutes. AJ decided to speak up first.

“So…is everything ok?” AJ questioned.

The two girls looked at each other and then looked at us and nodded their head yes.

“Ok…” AJ replied.

They looked at each other again. It’s like they had ESP or whatever it’s called, like they could read each other’s minds. Marissa nodded her head.

“I got an email from my brother, and then that was him on the phone earlier” Layla began.

All the guys looked at me. I hope she didn’t notice that though.

“He figured out Marissa was here” Layla added.

“How?” AJ asked

“Is that good or bad?” Brian added.

“He isn’t going to tell anyone, and I had to make him promise not to go back home and confront Robert. I told him we would figure something out and get back to him” Layla told us.

“How did he find out though?” AJ restated his question.

“Marissa called him to ask for my address saying she wanted to send me something, he thought that was a little odd cause he knew we hadn’t spoken since I left home for school, and then he gets a phone call from my other brother telling him that Marissa had disappeared, so he put the pieces together. They are considering her a missing person and Robert is trying to be the grieving husband so they aren’t even considering him to have any involvement”

I could tell Layla was getting upset the more she talked about it.

“So what’s going to happen now?” AJ asked.

“I have repeatedly told her she needs to call someone and tell them she is ok at least” Layla answered looking at Marissa who was picking at her food.

“What’s the point? Everyone is going to hate me, even my own parents! Robert is such a smooth talker with everyone that he will twist everything that has happened to his advantage. You know what people in that town are like” Marissa exclaimed.

“You know that’s not going to happen” Layla replied.

“Well, now I get to join the family outcast group with you and Jason” Marissa joked.

“Marissa!” Layla scolded her.

“What? You act like talking about our family is taboo or something, no family is perfect Layla” Marissa shot back.

Layla stood up and went into the house. Everyone looked around at each other not knowing what to do or say next. So I got up and went in the house after her.

She was in the kitchen cleaning furiously, I could tell she was just trying to distract herself.

Not really knowing what to say in this situation I just did the only thing I could think of. I walked over to her, turned her and wrapped my arms around her. She seemed startled at first but then I felt her relax into me and she laid her head on my chest.

I held her for a couple minutes. Looking down at her I wanted to see her face so I lifted her chin to look up at me. Layla had a couple tears gliding down her cheek. Taking my thumb, I brushed one of them away.

This was the first real emotion Layla had displayed in front of me. I didn’t like that she was upset but part of me was glad that she hadn’t run off. That she was standing here letting me hold her, letting me see how she was really feeling. She always seemed so closed off about her emotions, never showing too much in front of others.

“You okay?” I asked quietly. Layla nodded her head yes and let out a sigh.

“I’m sorry” she said barely in a whisper.

“You have nothing to be sorry for Layla”

“The way I reacted, I feel stupid”

“There was nothing wrong with the way you reacted”

“I just don’t like to talk about my family that much”

“I know how you feel” I told her.

She looked up at me and gave me a weak smile. I kissed her on the forehead and gave her another hug. After letting go of me Layla went back to cleaning up the kitchen.

“So why did Marissa make that comment about you and your brother being outcasts?”

“It’s a long story”

“I know you’re not comfortable talking about yourself but do you mind of I ask why your brother is?”

I could tell Layla was debating on whether or not to talk about it while she put some leftover food in a container. She took a deep breath.

“My brother is gay”

“Oh” I wasn’t sure what to say to something like that. I mean I don’t have any kind of problem with it, it’s just what else was there to say.

“Jason is a year older than me. He knew when he was 17 and I was the first person he told. He kept it a secret till after he graduated high school. When he told my mother she kicked him out. Luckily he got accepted to NYU and moved up there. Got a job and put himself through school. He is an accountant and has been dating the same guy for six years now. We try to see each other at least once or twice a year”

“Wow” I felt like an idiot. Here she was telling me all this and I was replying with one word answers.

“What about your other brother?” I asked.

“Jeff still lives by my parents, he is married with two kids” Layla didn’t go into too much detail about that brother.

“Do you get to see them at all?”

“I would see them here and there over the years, but I haven’t seen them in about two years now, our relationship has become strained over the years” I could tell she didn’t want to talk too much more about that brother.

“What was your other brother’s name, the one that….” I trailed off, not wanting to actually say the words. I just hope I wasn’t going to upset her by bringing him up.

“Justin”

It took a second but then it registered in my head.

“Justin, Jeff and Jason, Your parents didn’t want to keep going with the J theme with you” I tried joking hoping to make her smile.

“They did” I heard a voice behind me. I turned to see Marissa.

“What?” I was confused. I looked over at Layla to see a displeased look on her face.

“Layla isn’t her first name, it’s her middle name” Marissa told me.

“Really Marissa?” Layla was not happy with her right now.

“What’s your first name then?” I probably shouldn’t have asked seeing she was getting upset again, but I was curious and the filter on my mouth had been malfunctioning lately.

“Jennifer” Marissa blurted out.

Layla rolled her eyes. She went to put something in the fridge and slammed the door shut.

I heard someone come in. Turning I saw AJ standing at the door looking between everyone. After he caught the look on Layla’s face, he turned and went back out the door.

“She never liked the name so she had everyone start calling her by her middle name, Layla. Her mother hated it. I think it was part of the reason she did it” Marissa added.

I didn’t know what to do at the moment. The tension between the two of them was growing thicker by the second. I had an idea though. Silently praying to myself for a second that it worked.

“Here” I threw my keys to Marissa. She looked at me confused.

“You two really need to talk, take my car, go to the beach, sit down, relax, and talk” I explained to them.

“Ok” Marissa shrugged her shoulders and started walking to the front door.

Layla wasn’t moving. I walked over to her, grabbed her hand and led her to the front door.

“Go, please” I gave her my best pleading eyes. She sighed heavily and nodded.

“Be back by two though, we have the wardrobe fitting, actually if you want you guys can just meet us there, I will ride with one of the guys”

“Thank you Nick” Layla said quietly and gave me a weak smile.

“You’re welcome Layla” I smiled at her and watched her walk to the car and get in. They drove off and I walked back out by everyone to finish my food.

“What was that all about?” AJ asked.

“Nothing, they just need to talk about some stuff so I gave them my keys and told them to go for a drive” I informed everyone.

They all went back to their conversations and I sat there trying to process all the information Layla, and Marissa, had just told me.

Jennifer? I couldn’t picture, or hear, myself calling her Jennifer or jenny or even Jen. Layla fit her better.

Layla called Leighanne to tell her they would be meeting us and had Leighanne put a few things in a bag for her. Leighanne gave it to me to take to her.

The two of them were sitting on a bench in front of the building when we arrived. They were laughing with each other so I took that as a good sign.

I walked up to Layla and handed her the bag. She stood up putting it over her shoulder. Standing on her toes, Layla leaned up to my ear and whispered to me.

“I have something to tell you after the meeting”
Chapter End Notes:
We are finally starting to learn more about Layla. Thanks for reading and let me know what you think! :)