- Text Size +
My story is as ordinary as any story could get. I graduated high school in 1993, pursued community college after taking a year off to work and pay my way through school, and here I am about to begin my last year. I've always been interested in writing, you could say it was always my passion. After this year passes, I will have a degree in journalism. Granted, my goal was to never be a journalist- it was always to be the author of a successful book series or two. Hell, maybe even three. Being a reporter is my backup plan, hence the degree. At least having a degree in general will get my foot in the door somewhere. I'm nothing special, so who knows where my life will go.

One thing I have always been decent at is dancing. I don't know how or why , but its always been my release. My parents enrolled me in dance classes when I was just a kid, but I hated it. Little girls can be really, really mean. So, I took it upon myself when I turned 16 to enroll myself in private lessons. The teacher claimed I was a natural, but I had no plans to pursue it any farther than taking a few classes. Knowing how to dance also came in handy whenever I decided to break out of my shell for a night and hit the clubs with my friends. Now, I am by no means a party animal, but I do find immense joy in one night every other month getting drunk and dancing with my best friend. However, after a bad night for the both of us we agreed to take it easy for awhile and do a "wine and dine" night once a month that consisted of buying a cheap bottle of wine and ordering pizza or chinese takeout.

On the way back home from the chinese place down the street from my tiny apartment, she happened to spot a flyer that was poorly taped to the window of a bar next door to the chinese place. She immediately snatched it up and shoved it into my chest. The title read "Dancers wanted for a 2 day music video shoot." It listed the time, date, and places for auditions. One was in Kentucky, it was about a two and a half hour drive from Indianapolis. Of course, I protested and tried to tape it back to the window. She insisted. We'd both heard of the band before, they were a newer boy band called The Backstreet Boys. All I knew is they were really popular in like, Germany or something and they were starting to make it big here.

The argument ended with me agreeing to take a couple of days off of work to go and do the stupid audition. I was good at dancing, but I wasn't good enough to land myself in a music video. But, whatever. It was summer break from school and all I did with my life was work at a shitty job I hated. A few days off sounded nice. We did end up doing to Kentucky to those auditions. My wonderful best friend was by my side the whole time and even drove my car back home when I was too exhausted to move. Those music video auditions were not by any means a piece of cake.

A week later, I got the call.