- Text Size +
** NICK **

I was officially out on the open road. It was just me and my most trusty side kick Nacho. I figured I would risk sending Howie that letter. The way the fella’s looked on Good Morning America practically broke my heart. I figured I could trust Howie. I know he is incredibly good at keeping secrets. There are so many things that the other guys don’t even know that only Howie knows and to this day only Howie knows. I know he is good for his word. I didn’t exactly know where I was going all I know is I wanted to go. I probably will most likely stick to the country. I loved Tennessee everything about the country made me happy. Lauren couldn’t stand it. I loved the peace and quiet it gave me. It made me able to think a lot clearer. I don’t think I would go to Tennessee though. They would look for me there; maybe a surrounding state? I knew once I got to where ever I was going I had a lot of steps to take. I need to find somewhere to live. I have to change my name. Saying hello my name is Nick Carter would just raise too many eyebrows and believe it or not there are not a lot of Nick Carter’s in the country. I need to blend in that’s for sure. I needed to be a regular down home person. I was bound and determined to be normal. I wanted to be treated different. I wanted to struggle like every other American out there. I have struggled but nothing like what I have seen. This seems crazy but people don’t realize it isn’t easy being famous either. There is always someone taking pictures and asking for autographs. I love the attention but after a while it just becomes annoying. I felt like I have been missing something. I have been in this business since I was just thirteen years old. I didn’t really have any kind of teenage years. Maybe I am just at a point in my life where singing wasn’t who I was anymore? I love my brothers and I love my fans dearly but I needed to find myself. I needed to become a different person. I feel this is the only way I can do so.

I looked over at Nacho who was sitting contently looking out the window. I saw a sign for a rest stop and I flipped my blinker on and got over in the next lane. I figured it was time for a potty break. We have been driving for quite some time now. I hadn’t quite figured out this whole unrecognized thing. So I just put on a hat and pray no one would see through me. I parked my car by the nearest dog area and shut it off. I grabbed his leash from the center console. “Alright boy lets go potty and get back out on the road,” I said to him as I clipped the leash to his collar. I got out of the car and Nacho followed on his leash. We walked over to the doggie area. Nacho seemed to be taking his sweet time of course,” Come on boy just go potty. We don’t have all day.” I probably looked like some crazy weird dude talking to my dog. He looked back at me and just gave me a look,” Fine just don’t take too long. I have to go as well.” Nacho pottered around for a few more seconds and went potty,” You’re such a good boy let’s go back to the car.” I patted him on the head and picked him up. I put him into the car. I headed up to the bathrooms so I could use it myself.

Upon walking out of the bathroom I saw a young woman trying to flag people down. As much as I didn’t want to stop I did.

“I am so sorry to bother you. I need some help with my car. I have been trying to flag someone down for the last few minutes but no one wanted to stop” I flashed a smile.

“I will try to help. I am not real car savvy” I explained.

“I just need a jump. It decided to die on me,” she explained.

“Sure let me go swing my car around,” I walked back over to my car. My good manners must be kicking in. This may sound terrible but I used to be one of those people who would have ignored her. I hate that person. I don’t want to be that person. I don’t want to be the person just because I am famous I can do what I want. I want to be the person I was before I was really famous. I have done a lot of stuff in the past and I will be dammed if I go back to doing it now. I swung my car around and parked it next to hers.

“Thank you so much,” she said,” My name is Michelle by the way,”

“It’s not a problem. My name is Mitch” I think I have to contain myself from my laughter for a moment. Where in the world did I come up with that name? I went into my trunk and pulled out my jumper cables and proceeded to jump her car. The look on her face when her car started was priceless. She looked so relieved.

“Thank you again Mitch. I appreciate it. I am so late picking up my kids from day care it isn’t even funny. I am very glad you stopped.”

“Well you are very welcome.” She looked straight at me.

“This seems like a crazy question but do I know you from somewhere? You look familiar” I froze. She recognized me didn’t she?

“I get that a lot,” I replied,” I am just passing through on my way to visit my sick grandma in Tennessee. I was going to fly but it was cheaper for me to drive,” I lied. I just hope she bought it.

“Awe, I am sorry to hear about your grandmother. I hope she gets well soon.”

“Me too” I smiled.

“Well I will let you get on the road again. You have a lot of driving a head of you. Thank you again”

“Again you are welcome. I hope your daycare center cuts you some slack.” She smiled as she got into her car. I got into my car and started it up. I looked at Nacho,” Boy that was close. We need to come up with a new game plan.”

Chapter End Notes:
I am sorry this took so long to get out. I was out of internet for almost a week. Then my 3yr old nephew came out and stayed almost all of last week. I hope you enjoy!