- Text Size +
Brian knocked on the door to Dr. Sterling’s office. He heard a muffled, “Come in,” through the door and quietly pushed the door open. The doctor stood behind his desk, holding out his hands. “Welcome, Brian. Have a seat wherever you’d like.”

Brian looked around, surprised. He wasn’t certain what he was expecting, but he wasn’t expecting this. The room had floor-to-ceiling windows looking out at the mountains, and had three different seating places. The decor was very much a ‘man cave,’ and Brian immediately felt himself relax. He imagined AJ felt the same way when he entered the room too. He walked toward a pair of chairs directly in front of the windows, sinking into one of them. “Where does Alex normally sit?”

The doctor smiled slightly. “Exactly where you are.” Brian blinked, slightly surprised, as Dr. Sterling sat across from him. “I hope I’m not making you uncomfortable asking to meet with you. I know that you found Alexander last Sunday, correct? And that you and he had been going through some friendship difficulties shortly before that?”

Brian couldn’t help but snort. As soon as it happened, however, he shook his head. “Sorry. Yeah, I guess we were. That doesn’t matter anymore, though. All that matters is that Alex is getting better.”

Dr. Sterling watched him carefully. “Brian, you aren’t helping Alexander by ignoring what happened between the two of you.”

Brian stood up suddenly, walking toward the window. He couldn’t figure out why he was suddenly so angry. “I know that!” He said, cringing at how loud and whiney his voice sounded. “But what good does it do to bring it up? To bring any of it up? What if-” He stopped when his voice caught, his eyes filling with tears. “What if bringing any of that up again puts him back into that place he was that night?” He wiped his cheeks, trying to clear them of tears as he looked toward the mountains.

Dr. Sterling didn’t respond immediately. When he did, his voice was soft and calm. “Alexander is so lucky for the unconditional support you give him. There are many hurting people in the world who don’t have the support he does. We have been working hard to get Alexander to appreciate and utilize his support system in a more positive way. One of these days, Brian, I hope that Alexander will come to you and ask you to tell him what it was like for you when you found him in the ocean, and what it has been like for you to give and give and have him abuse you. When he does, Brian, you need to be honest. Alexander needs that from you. Your friendship needs that.” He paused, but Brian did not respond or turn back toward the doctor. “What you experienced when Alexander attempted suicide was a traumatizing event. Don’t push your personal feelings from that night away thinking it will benefit Alexander. You’ll just be creating a false truth for him and for yourself.”

“Do you have to call it that? Att-attempted s-suicide?” Brian stuttered out the last two words.

“Yes. We need Alexander to understand what his actions were and the consequences for them. Not referring to his attempted suicide by name will only increase the daunting task of overcoming it.” The doctor stood and brought Brian a box of Kleenex from a side table. Brian smiled his thanks as he took them.

“You know, Brian, it’s my job to help Alexander know how to handle stressful situations without returning to the mindset that he was in when he tried to end his life. Trust me to help him there.”

Brian took a moment to really look at Dr. Sterling. “Okay.” His voice was hoarse and his eyes were glistening, but the doctor could see the strength and resolve in them. “I trust you. And Alex.”

The doctor nodded slowly, watching Brian closely. “Well then, let’s get you back to your friends. Seems like you are all quite the interesting bunch.” He grinned knowingly, and Brian felt his face light up with a smile of his own.

“I wouldn’t trade them for the world.”

***
AJ opened the door to his room with a flourish. “Welcome to the Beehive!” Howie and Nick entered the yellow room, taking in the small space and minimal accessories.

“Not your normal style, that’s for sure. But the name is fitting. Did you dub it the Beehive, or did it come that way?” Howie turned and winked at AJ.

“Come on, I’m the King of Nicknames!” When Nick snorted, AJ spun and gave him a good clock in the shoulder.

“Ow! What was that for?”

“First, it’s for your crack at D in the other room. I’m paying it forward. Second, I rock at nicknames! Mine are the ones that always stick!” Howie nodded in agreement and acknowledgement, and AJ smirked as he turned back toward his older friend. “I was hoping for some gargoyles or at least a little medieval wall art, but they seem to frown upon anything that could be considered a weapon.”

“Yeah, it is lacking a little in the art department.” Nick, still nursing his arm, spun slowly before stopping at the simple piece of paper with the big ‘7’ circled on it. He gestured toward the counter. “J, I know you suck at art, but you could’ve tried a little harder than that.”

Before AJ had a chance to explain, there was a slight knock at the door as Sofia poked her head in. “Hola, Conejito!” She pushed the door open a little further and entered with Brian following close behind her. Although he was smiling, Howie could tell that it didn’t completely reach his eyes. “I found one of your amigos attempting to break into the woman’s wing.” When Brian opened his mouth in shock to protest, she laughed. “Just joking! I’m glad to see your friends are still here! Would you like me to contact the kitchen and set some extra seats for them?” Nick was already nodding his head furiously up and down.

“Um, yes please!” He practically shouted. Sofia laughed as she left, leaving the four men in the Beehive. Before AJ could address Brian, Howie turned toward his friend with a quizzical look.

“What’s with the Conejito?”

AJ shrugged. “I don’t really know. Seeing as I’m not really privy to Google around here, I haven’t had a chance to figure it out. She’s called me that since day one.”

Brian smiled. “She’s a nickname girl after your own heart.” As Howie burst into laughter, AJ turned toward Nick with a smug look.

“See? Brian thinks I give good nicknames!” Nick rolled his eyes as he fell onto AJ’s bed.

Brian looked between the two. “What did I miss?”

Howie just shook his head. “Don’t worry, Rok. Nick just can’t handle being wrong.” As the young blonde glowered from the bed, Howie turned back to AJ. “Too bad you don’t know anyone who speaks Spanish.”

“Shit! D! What the hell is a conejito? I knew I kept you around for something!”

Howie bowed low. “I am so honored. ‘Conejito’ means ‘bunny.’ Why would she call you Bunny?”

“Not a damn clue. I bet Nick could flirt the answer out of her. She’s been giving him googley eyes the whole day.” He nudged Nick’s foot, eliciting the tiniest grin from his friend. Nothing like stroking his ego to change his sour mood. “Come on, let’s go get some grub.”

As they began walking toward the cafeteria, Nick scampered ahead, loping his arm around Sofia at the other end of the hall. The guys could see him turning on his thousand-watt smile as he leaned in close to the little woman.

After a moment, Nick came bounding back to the other three. “That was a piece of cake. Easiest assignment you’ve given yet, J.” He brought his hands up under his chin and batted his eyelashes at AJ. Switching into a terrible Spanish accent, he said, “Oh, my Conejito! Those eyes are so warm and chocolatey, he’s like a chocolate Easter Bunny! I could just eat him up!” He leaned close to AJ, blinking obnoxiously as he made a kissing face. “He’s just so dreamy!” AJ groaned and pushed him away, barely dodging his head before Nick could land a wet, sloppy kiss on his cheek.

“That is by far the worst accent I’ve ever heard. I’m offended on behalf of all Spanish-speaking humans on this planet.” Howie deadpanned.

“And I’d bet my ass that she didn’t actually say half of that!” AJ added, laughing, though Howie could tell that Nick’s false statements touched him.

He watched Brian out of the corner of his eye as Brian’s own face began to reflect the smile that was on AJ’s. “You doin’ okay?” Howie whispered to Brian.

Brian paused for a second, as AJ tried to deflect another Nick kiss. “Yeah. I’m good. I think maybe life is finally working itself out.”

Howie nodded. He couldn’t agree more.