- Text Size +
Nick walked into his house. It was mostly empty now. All the kids have grown and are moved out. Darren and Lorelei are the only two full time kids at home now. Hunter, Olivia, and Maddy are away at college. It felt weird to him. He reminded himself every day that Rayna would be proud. He still often thinks of what life would be like if she were still alive today. It took him a long time to come to terms with her death. He still has troubles sleeping sometimes. Even though he vowed to never remarry the thought will cross his mind from time to time. The kids’ tell him he needs to get back out there, but he never listens. Nick threw his keys onto the little side table next to the door and walked into the kitchen. Darren was sitting at the bar texting on his phone.

“Hey son who are you talking to?” Darren just sat there and ignored him. Nick walked closer and saw he had his earphones in,” Earth to Darren!” Nick said waving his hand in front of his face.

“Sorry dad I didn’t see you there what’s up?”

“Not much just wondering who you were talking to. You are always on your phone so I was just curious”

“Just a friend” he replied

“Ah, just a friend…is it a girl by chance?” Nick raised one eye brow

“No, just a friend dad”

“Oh ok. What time was band rehearsal? I thought about coming and sitting in on it today”

“Three. Only time Uncle Howie could get us in” Nick looked at the clock and it was only noon.

“Alright I will be in my office. Don’t strain your fingers too hard there”

“Funny dad” Darren rolled his eyes and went back to texting on his phone. He watched Nick walk down the hall out of the corner of his eye.

D: That was close!

Ava: What do you mean?

D: Dad, he wanted to know who I was talking to. Like all the sudden he has to know every little detail of my life

Ava: Yeah, my dad is wondering the same thing I changed your name in my phone.

D: lol why?

Ava: just in case dad gets nosey

D: you know it won’t really make a difference. I think he can tell the difference between talking to Darren to some other guy about the same stuff.

Darren laughed out loud. He and Ava has been a couple for a while. He cared so much for her. He hoped they would grow old together. Even though he was just nineteen it all felt real to him. He loved her and she loved him. It wasn’t just some puppy love thing going on between them.

Ava: Lol yeah I guess you are right. I will just change it back. He hasn’t become nosey anyway, but I am sure if he would mom would get onto him. She keeps him in line

D: Lol plus I think he has a lot to worry about with your sister. She is something else

Ava: I know! Grandma says she is just like him when he was her age. She isn’t even a teenager yet and is already wreaking havoc. This also means dad is just off our track. I have homework to do. I better get it done before dad catches me on the phone. I will see you soon.

D: Yeah I have college applications to do. Dad has been harping on me…you need to go to college like your siblings.

Ava: You should though. If you want too I will stand behind you as always. Xoxo

D: xoxo

Darren put his phone down. He smiled. No one knew about the relationship. Not even the other members of their group. They kept it on the down low. AJ always preached to Ava about don’t ever date your band mates or anyone within your band. He preached like he knew what he was talking about; most of the time he didn’t considering he was with a bunch of men. AJ’s rule to Ava was thrown out the window. They just hoped it wouldn’t backfire.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading...dont forget to review! :)