- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Long weekend. Air show, sunburn, and then when I tried updating last night, my chapter wouldn't submit. So let's try again and hope it works. :)

Dark Times in Still Waters
Chapter 13
By Dottie
Copyright 2013

By the end of the show, Natalie is convinced something has happened to Teagan. After promising to let the guys know what’s going on, she finds her way back to her cabin. Still no Teagan. When she starts to leave to report her missing, she spies the note on the floor. She must have walked right over it.

Opening it, she breathes a sigh of relief when she sees Teagan’s handwriting:

Nat, as my best friend, I’m gonna assume you’ll keep this to yourself. So help me if you so much as breathe a word to anyone, ESPECIALLY the Backstreet Boys, I will never forgive you. I’m in the infirmary and I’m fine. I just want to get off this ship and away from this whole mess. I’m sorry I made your trip so lousy. I’m a horrible friend. Can you pack my stuff and bring it with yours to the hotel? Thanks Nat. I mean it, though, not a word to anyone. I’ll explain later. Love you, Teag

Natalie lowers the note. Why is she in the infirmary? More importantly, why is it a secret? Deciding to find out, she makes her way to the infirmary, finding it dark and quiet. A single nurse sits by a desk reading by the light of a small lamp.

When Natalie opens the door, the nurse looks up, smiling. “Miss Byron?”

Natalie nods. “Yes. Is Teagan ok?”

The nurse stands. “She’s fine. Last time I checked she was reading. She wants to see you.”

The nurse leads Natalie to the tiny room where Teagan lies curled up on the bed. While Natalie is relieved to see Teagan is safe, she’s angry too. “What’s going on Teagan?”

Teagan sits up. “Nat, I never should have come here. When the boat docks early, I’m getting off. I can’t…I don’t EVER want to see another Backstreet Boy as long as I live!”

Natalie’s mouth drops open. “Why? Teagan, I thought…”

Teagan turns away. “I thought so too. But, it was all a game. Just to make me feel good. Accepted. It was all LIES. I’m so sick of all this shit.”

Natalie steps closer. “Teagan, no one lied to you. Least of all them. Why do you think they did?”

Teagan snaps, “I heard them! I heard HIM! They called me a freak. Said it was only to keep the fans happy. What fucking hypocrites they are. Every last stinking one of them!”

Natalie is stunned. “Teagan, did Brian…?”

Teagan shakes her head. “I didn’t see him. I don’t…fuck Natalie, I don’t know! I just know that if I ever see Kevin or Nick again, I might vomit.” Turning away, she mumbles, “Leave me alone. I’m going to get off this boat and I never want to see another Backstreet Boy if I live to be a hundred.”

Natalie slowly walks over and puts her hand on Teagan’s arm. “Teagan, I don’t know what they said…or why. But you can’t…Teagan, they care about you. ALL of them!”

Teagan whirls around. “Care about me? They fucking don’t know what it means!” Spinning away, she whispers, “Just go. Go and have fun. But I swear, if you tell them…”

Natalie shakes her head. “I won’t. Not a word. Not even to Brian. But I’m going to ask him what they said…unless you tell me.”

Teagan shrugs. “They said just what I told you. I think Nick’s exact words were ‘four-alarm freak’ that lying bastard. I hate him. I hate all of them.”

Natalie shakes her head. “I don’t believe that Teagan. I don’t believe they were talking about you.”

Teagan spins around, pinning Natalie down with an icy glare. “You’re my best friend and I love you, but for fuck’s sake STOP defending them! I know what I heard!” Sighing loudly, she whispers, “Go away Natalie, please. I don’t want to say something I’ll regret. I don’t want to talk to anyone. Just go.”

Natalie goes to the door and puts her hand on the knob. “I’m sorry Teagan. I didn’t think…”

After she leaves Teagan mutters softly. “Neither did I Nat. Neither did I.”


Natalie skips the bachelorette party, returning to her cabin to pack her and Teagan’s belongings. She cries the whole time. Why would Kevin and Nick be so cruel? Did Brian play a part in it? No, he couldn’t have. But…Teagan’s so upset. Something happened. Teagan truly believes they think she’s a freak and the more Natalie thinks about it, the madder she gets.

Around 1 am, she’s lying in the dark, sleep eluding her, when there’s a knock on the door. “Natalie, its Brian, are you ok?”

Still mad at the world, Natalie stalks to the door and swings it open, not caring that all she has on is a tank top and a pair of panties. “Why the hell do you care?”

Brian’s eyes widen, shocked by her attack. “Natalie, what’s wrong…is Teagan ok?”

Natalie seethes, “No she’s not ok! Your fucking buddies made sure of that! How could you let them talk about her that way? Why didn’t you stand up for her? I thought you were different!”

He steps in, pushing the door closed before the entire ship is privy to their conversation. “Whoa, Natalie, you gotta back up and tell me what’s going on…I don’t understand…”

She sighs, taking a deep breath. “She overheard Nick and Kevin talking about her. Nick called her a freak…and Kevin agreed. Brian, why didn’t you say something?”

He grabs her arms. “Natalie, I swear to you I didn’t hear them say anything like that about anyone…and I don’t think they would ever say it about Teagan.”

She trembles, wanting to believe him. “Brian, she’s so upset. How could they be so mean after all the things they said to her? Why would they lie to her like that?”

He pulls her into his arms and whispers, “Natalie, I just can’t see them doing that. I swear, she misunderstood. Let me go ask Kevin…”

Natalie grabs him and holds on tightly. “No! No you can’t, I promised I wouldn’t say anything…Brian, I just…why is this happening to Teagan?”

He holds her close and kisses her cheek. “Sweetheart, I don’t know. I can’t find out if you won’t let me ask.”

She shakes her head, leaning back to look at him. “Not now. Not until we’re gone. I promised her and she…she says she never wants to see any of you again. I’m afraid of what…Brian, she’s so upset.”

He cups her face and wipes away her tears with his thumbs. “I won’t say anything about it until we’re away from the ship. Away from Florida. But I am going to ask them. Because Teagan will be seeing me and I don’t want her anger with Nick and Kevin mess up what I have with you.” His lips cover hers softly for a brief kiss. “Beautiful Natalie, I promise…I won’t say a word to them now. And I’ll figure this out.”

She leans against him. “I’m sorry I yelled at you. I knew there was no way you were involved. But…Brian if you could have seen her. She’s beyond hurt now. She’s mad. She’s so angry at both of them.”

He kisses her forehead. “If they did say anything like that, she’s not the only one that’s going to be mad. I’ll hurt them both in a bad, bad way.”

Natalie sighs, snuggling into his arms. “Brian…tell me something.”

He rubs her back. “Anything Darling.”

She pulls back. “Teagan’s part of my life. She always will be. I won’t let them hurt her again. If we see where this goes…between us…will you be able to separate us from who you are with the group?”

He smiles lovingly, leaning closer to kiss her. “My private life is my own, Natalie. Yes, they are my friends, but you…I think you’re going to mean so much more to me.”

She suddenly becomes aware of how she’s dressed…and how he’s holding her. Sighing softly, she whispers, “Will you stay?”

He nuzzles her cheek. “I’d love to stay…if you want me to.”

She kisses his cheek, whispering, “I want you to.”


Kevin heads up to Serenity Deck, hoping to find Teagan there. He’s not sure she came to the show. He hasn’t seen Natalie. He’s sure Brian is with her so he doesn’t want to disturb them. He just can’t get Teagan off his mind.

He goes to the hammock he laid in with Teagan just last night. Maybe it’s his imagination, but he can detect the light aroma of her perfume. He leans back, looking up at the stars, thinking about her.

He puts one of his arms behind his head, the other across his stomach and pictures her in his mind. Her long hair falling across her face. He closes his eyes and he can still feel her hair tangled in his fist when he kissed her. And oh what a kiss it was.

His body is responding to his memories. He moves his hand down to adjust himself as he grows harder. Instead of adjusting himself and leaving it at that, he starts to vigorously massage himself through his pants as he thinks about how she tasted. How she felt with her body pressed tightly to his. He moans, instinct taking over, and opens his pants to slide his hand inside.

The hammock swings gently as his movements become more hurried. He wants to hold her again. Touch her and taste her and love her. He moans and quickens the movement of his hand, desperate to climax. Desperate to ease the ache of his body.

But he can’t…he just can’t let go because he doesn’t want it like this. Masturbating alone in the dark to a memory. He wants to feel her flesh. Taste her essence and bring her the greatest pleasure possible to mingle with his own.

Forcing himself to stop, he counts to a hundred, willing his body to calm down and his hardness to abate. It’s going to take time and patience, both of which he has an abundance of. He wants her. He wants every part of her. But most importantly, he wants to make her feel as beautiful as he believes she truly is.
Chapter End Notes:
Still with me? What do you think?