- Text Size +
Dark Times in Still Waters
Chapter 17
By Dottie
Copyright 2013

Kevin is waiting with Brian and Howie for AJ and Nick to arrive. Howie is on the phone as usual. Brian is watching his cousin closely, waiting. Finally, Kevin asks quietly, “How is Natalie?”

Brian chuckles. “Meaning how is Teagan?” When Kevin looks away, Brian regrets his words. His cousin still worries almost constantly about Teagan’s state of mind and has spent the last few weeks in a serious funk. “They’re both fine, Kevin. Teagan had…umm…”

When he trails off, Kevin looks up sharply. “Teagan had what?”

Brian sighs. “I’m not supposed to tell you. She had surgery last week. On one of the scars.”

Kevin sighs. “Brian, she’s never going to forgive me, is she?”

Brian shakes his head. “Kevin, I swear to you she’s not mad at you or anyone else. She was just upset by a lot of things and misunderstood what she heard. There’s nothing to forgive and she knows it.”

Running his hand through his hair, Kevin mutters, “Then why won’t she see me?”

Howie chimes in with his opinion. “I asked her that. She said she didn’t want to talk about it and I didn’t push it. Personally I think it’s because she likes you a lot and she’s trying to deal with…”

When his voice trails off, Kevin snaps, “So you went to see her too? AJ and Nick went. Why won’t she see me?”

Brian sighs. “Kev, look, it’s only been a few weeks. And Howie’s right, she does like you a lot. She’s just dealing with…”

He’s interrupted by the door opening and Nick and AJ coming in. Nick is complaining, “AJ she said if she needed us she’d call so leave her alone…” His voice trails off as he notices the guys waiting. “Umm, hi.”

Kevin has finally had enough. “You know what, I’m not gonna sit here and listen to you all make excuses. If she doesn’t want to see me, she can at least tell ME why and not all of you!”

He storms out. Nick tries to follow him, only to be stopped by Brian. “Let him go Nick.”

Nick stammers, “But Brian, she REALLY doesn’t want to see him. They are taking the bandages off in a few days and she’s tripping about it.”

Brian nods. “I know, Natalie told me. But…well, to be honest, her reasons for NOT seeing him are stupid. I think it’s time those two work this out one way or another.”

Howie offers up softly, “Maybe so. Shouldn’t you warn her he’s coming?”

AJ shakes his head. “Hell no! We need to back off and let them figure this out on their own. Brian’s right, they need to work it out themselves.”

Brian takes out his phone. “I’m not telling Teagan, but I’m going to let Natalie know he’s on his way.”

AJ nods. “Good plan. Then can we do some work?”

Nick complains, “How do we work without Kevin?”

Howie laughs. “Nick, we did that for five years. We’ll just work on our parts and when he gets back, he can do his.”

AJ slaps his hands together. “Howie’s right, let’s get to it.”

Nick stands. “OK. But if this sucks, I’m blaming Kevin.”

Brian laughs. “What else is new?”


When Kevin gets to the airport, he almost turns back and goes home. But he thinks about Teagan and how she’s avoiding him and he gets angry. Was it all a game? Did she care at all? Didn’t he have any effect on her the way she did him? There’s no way she faked it…they connected. And now she won’t admit it. Kevin wants to know why.

The flight is smooth and a few hours later, Kevin is knocking on Teagan’s door. When Natalie opens the door, she greets him in a not-so-nice manner. “Why are you here? Can’t you give her space?”

He steps back, surprised at her tone. “Space? I’ve given her space for weeks. I thought she wanted to be away from all of us, yet everyone’s seen her but me. Why is she avoiding me, Natalie? And don’t say she’s ashamed about those scars or I swear I’ll put my fist through a wall!”

Natalie believes he’d do it. Secretly she’s thrilled to know he’s so jealous of the other guys visiting. But she’s worried about what Teagan’s reaction would be…if she were home. “Kevin, look. I don’t…I won’t tell you what she’s told me in confidence. I just don’t know if she’s ready to face you yet.” Tossing her head back, she continues. “Anyway, she’s not home.”

His forehead furrows with worry. “Where is she?”

Natalie sighs. “I can’t tell you. She just wanted to be alone when…”

He steps closer to the threshold. “When what? Natalie, what’s going on?”

Natalie sighs and says, “You want to come in and we’ll talk?”

He steps through the doorway. Once the door closes, she says, “Teagan saw her doctor today. They took off the bandages.”

Kevin nods. “And?”

Natalie shrugs. “I don’t know. Teagan doesn’t know. She was too afraid to look. She said she wanted to be alone when she saw it for the first time so she took a little trip. Just to try to deal with everything.”

He looks at her suspiciously. “What am I missing, Natalie?” When she doesn’t answer, he begs softly. “Please, tell me. I’m going out of my mind with worry. I can’t stop thinking about her and how stupid I was. I just need to see for myself she’s ok.”

She knows he’s being completely honest. “Kevin, I think she’s ok…really.” She sees sadness wash over his face and his shoulders droop. In a moment of weakness, she mutters, “She went to Seven Springs for the week.”

He can’t believe she told him. “How do I get there?”

Natalie looks toward the window. “It’s not far, but there’s a storm rolling in. Maybe you should wait…”

He shakes his head. “No. I’m not waiting any longer. If she really doesn’t want to see me, she’s going to tell me to my face. I’m tired of the cryptic messages I’m getting from you and the fellas.” When Natalie lowers her eyes, he whispers softly, “I’m sorry Natalie. I don’t mean to snap at you. Please…just tell me how to get there.”

She goes to the desk in the corner and pulls out a brochure. “She’s staying in the Robin’s Nest Cottage.”

He takes the brochure and for the first time since the cruise, he smiles. “Thank you.”

She nods. “I’m only doing this because I think she needs you, even if she won’t admit it. But I swear, if you hurt her…”

He smiles, unshed tears shimmering in his eyes. “I won’t hurt her again, Natalie. I think I’d die if I ever did.”

She watches him leave and whispers, “Forgive me Teag, but you need him. And he needs you.”


Teagan sits curled up in the big leather chair by the fire in her rustic cottage retreat. She knows Natalie’s probably worried and she knows she should call, but right now, Teagan just wants to be alone. To think. She fingers the bandage on her face, trying to build up the courage to look. The doctor said it looked, in his words, “better than expected”. Teagan is afraid to look. Afraid of what she’ll see.

As darkness descends on the cabin, Teagan sees it’s started snowing. But her mind must be playing tricks on her, because she swears she sees headlights coming up the drive to her cabin. Maybe someone is lost. When the lights disappear, she sighs, relieved, convinced her mind is playing tricks on her.

She’s startled from her contemplations by a knock on the door. Dropping her head, she mutters, “Go away.” Even as she says it, she’s getting up to open the door. Some of the cottages are tricky to find. She grabs the resort map as the knock sounds again. Raising her voice, he calls out, “Just a minute!” She makes sure the turtle neck is covering the scar on her neck before she swings the door open. “Can I…?” When she sees Kevin waiting, she stops short.

Kevin is amazed at how just seeing her makes him feel happy. “Hey Teagan.”

She shakes her head. “Why…what are you…how did you…?”

He smiles a little. “It’s kind of freezing out here. Can I come in?”

She wants to say no, but she steps back and he walks through the door, dropping his suitcase before rubbing his hands together like some evil bad guy hatching a plan. “Why are you here?”

He turns to face her. “That should be obvious. I’m here to see you.”

She lowers her eyes and turns away. “Please leave, Kevin. If you hurry you can beat the storm.”

He puts his bag on the floor. “Did you look outside? I’m not going anywhere till the storm passes and the roads are clear.”

She feels her anger rising and she spins around. “Then you better go find a place to stay because you’re not staying here.”

She tries to stalk past him, but he stops her, grabbing her arms. “I’m staying right here until you convince me AND yourself that this means nothing to you.” Before she knows what hits her, his mouth covers her completely.

She’s stunned, not so much by his kiss, but by the passion behind it. And the fact that she greedily accepts his tongue into her mouth like a thirsty woman drinking water. His arms wrap around her like bands of steel and she moans when he bends her back, deepening the kiss even more. Her hands grab his shoulders, holding on tight as he plunders her mouth, bruising her lips.

When they break apart and stare into each other’s eyes, he whispers, “Don’t tell me that meant nothing to you Teagan. I’ll never believe you.”

Her eyes flash and she pushes away from him. “I never said it meant nothing. But it’s not going anywhere so why bother postponing the inevitable. We will never work.”

He staggers back as if she’s slapped him. “How can you say that? You’re not even giving me a chance.”

She turns away from him. “Will you please just go away?”

He grabs her shoulders. “No! I’m not going until you explain to me why everyone else is allowed to care about you but I get the cold shoulder.” When she doesn’t reply he whispers, “God dammit Teagan, answer me!”

She whirls on him, spitting out venomously “Because I want something with you I can’t have!”

When they both realize what she’s said, a slow grin spread across his face as a slow blush stains hers. She turns and runs to the bedroom, locking the door with a resounding click.

He watches her retreating form with a smile on his face. She does care. And she does want him. Slowly he walks to the door and knocks softly. “Teagan let me in.”

From the other side, he hears muffled sobs. He jiggles the door handle to no avail. Putting his head against the door, he calls out, “Please open the door, Sweetheart.”

She hiccups and yells, “Go away.”

She’s surprised when she hears his reply. “You can open the door or I can break it down. Either way, you’re going to talk to me so make it easy on both of us.”

She sighs, not doubting him for a moment. She stands by the door but doesn’t flip the lock. As if sensing her hesitation, he whispers once again, “Please, Teagan.”

She flips the lock with shaky fingers. He hears it and turns the knob, slowly pushing the door open. They stand face to face, tears leaking from her eyes. He wipes away her tears and whispers, softly, “Don’t be afraid of me Teagan. Don’t push me away.”

And just like that, she’s wrapped around him again, this time cradled against his chest as he wraps his long arms around her. He kisses the top of her head. She wads his shirt up in her fingers and holds onto him as the sobs of loneliness consume her.

He lifts her in his arms and carries her to the bed, sitting down with her on his lap. He lies back, taking her with him. With one hand on her waist, the other on her thigh, he mutters, “I’ve missed you Teagan.”

With a shaky sigh, she whispers, “Me too.”
Chapter End Notes:
Let me know!! ~ D