- Text Size +
Dark Times on Still Waters
Chapter 18
By Dottie
Copyright 2013

Time passes silently and Kevin holds Teagan captive in his arms. He thinks she's asleep because her body is so relaxed, so he lays still. He memorizes the feel of her body on his, the fragrance of her hair, the gentle sound of her breathing softly.

He closes his eyes, feeling a sense of peace wash over him that he hasn't felt in a long, long time. He's startled when she whispers, "Did Natalie send you?"

He rubs her back softly. "She told me where you were, but she didn't send me. She told me you didn't want to see me."

She fingers a button on his shirt. "But you came anyway. Why?"

He takes a deep breath, hugging her closer. "There are many reasons. I was worried about you. I missed you. I was jealous."

She's startled by his last admission. "Why were you jealous?"

He chuckles. "Because you let the others come and see you but you wouldn't let me."

She blushes, starting to push away. "I had my reasons.

He lets her go, sitting up beside her. "Teagan, please don't push me away anymore. Just...be honest with me. Why wouldn't you see me?"

She looks away. "Kevin..."

He brings her gaze back to his with his fingers under her chin. "Sweetheart, haven't you figured it out yet? I'm falling for you. I'm falling hard. I can't stop thinking about you, day and night. And it has nothing to do with feeling sorry for you. When I'm this close to you I don't think about your scars or what happened to you. I think about holding you in my arms...kissing you and touching you. I don't feel sorry for you at all...I feel weak in the knees and my heart beats faster, and in all honesty, I want nothing more than to get lost in you." Her breath quickens. She can't tear her eyes from his. Ever so slowly he leans closer. "I want to kiss you Teagan."

She bites her lip as he leans closer. She feels his breath on her face. "Kevin?"

Her whispered plea beckons him. He cups her face. His mustache brushes her skin softly as his lips press gently against hers. He moves cautiously, afraid he's going to spook her. She surprises him by leaning into him, allowing him to deepen the kiss. He pulls her into his arms, his heart over flowing with emotion. To his surprise and pleasure, she snakes her arms around his neck.

When their lips part briefly, he whispers softly, "I've missed you so much." When their lips meet again, he moans in desire, pushing her onto her back and covering her body with his. The weight of his body pressing her into the bed floods her body with desire and longing. He nips at her lips, coaxing them apart. His tongue sweeps into her mouth, teasing and tasting hers. He drinks from her lips until they are both breathless.

When they part, he stares into her eyes. She whispers softly, "What happens now?"

He smiles, rubbing her nose with his. "I'm going to hold you and kiss you and touch you every chance I get. I want to make you smile, make you blush and make you melt in my arms. I want to know everything there is to know about you and tell you everything you ever wanted to know about me. Teagan, I want to keep falling in love with you...please...don't shut me out again."

Her lip trembles. "But...how can you say..."

He places a finger over his lips. "Teagan, to me you are the most beautiful woman in the world. But I'm not falling in love with your looks, although you are gorgeous. It's who you are on the inside. The kind of woman you are. You feel things deeply...you feel things passionately. I want that. I want you in my life. I want every part of you."

She can't deny he means it. She sees it in his eyes. She whispers softly, "I'm afraid."

He nods. "I'm afraid too, Teagan. But I'm more afraid of what I'll regret if I let you get away."

She closes her eyes and he lowers his head to bury it in her neck. She tightens her arms around his neck, breathing in his scent. "I don't want you to let me go Kevin. I'm just so afraid..."

He moves his lips to her ear. "Don't be afraid, Darling. Everything's going to be ok."

She sighs softly. "Since we're going to be snowed in for a while...what next?"

He pulls back, a tender smile on his face. "We talk, we kiss, we laugh, we cry...and hopefully...you figure out that I mean what I said. I'm falling in love with you." When she bites her lower lip, he kisses the corner of her mouth. "You don't have to say anything now Teagan. I won't push you."

He snuggles closer to her, resting his head on her shoulder. She whispers quietly, "Thank you for coming here Kevin."

He smiles against her neck. "Thank you for not leaving me out in the cold."

She chuckles softly. "I couldn't have done that if I had tried."

With the last of the walls knocked down between the, Kevin feels bathed in contentment. He closes his eyes and in moments, he’s in a deep, dreamless sleep. The first he’s had in months.

Teagan on the other hand is very much awake and in awe of what’s happening. He’s nestled against her side, his head on her shoulder, his arm around her waist. She slides her hand gently through his silky soft hair. He moves in his sleep, moaning lightly. Her hand drops to his shoulder and she listens to him breathe. Her eyes drift downward and she falls into a fitful state of sleep. Loving how he makes her feel and yet…worried about what’s to come.


She awakens with a start. Kevin’s still there. He rolled over on his back, but his body is still pressed against hers. She gently untangles herself and slips from the bed. She needs distance. She needs to think and she can’t do it with him so close. She slips into the bathroom to answer nature’s call, then tip toes from the bedroom, softly closing the door.

She goes into the kitchen, amazed at how late it is. She must have slept for hours. She makes herself a cup of hot cocoa and goes into the living room, looking out the window at the snow piling up.

She feels a prickle of fear. It’s not just a gentle snowfall. It’s a full blown blizzard. She can’t see five feet from the window. She shivers as she thinks about how she almost sent Kevin back out into this mess. How could she have thought to make him leave in a storm like this?

Thankful the cottage has a gas burning fireplace, she turns it on, and then grabs a blanket, snuggling under it in a chair by the window, her mug cupped in her hands, her thoughts on the man lying in the other room.


Kevin swims to consciousness slowly. He knows she’s gone. He feels saddened and a little scared that once again she’s run away from him. He looks at the window, checking on the raging storm. He jumps up quickly, fear compelling him to make sure she hasn’t left.

He sees the light from the fire place as he quietly walks down the hall. When he sees her curled up in the chair by the window, his heart soars. He smiles, staring at her. She is the most beautiful thing he’s ever seen and he can’t figure out how to prove it to her. He sees the bandage is still on her face and his smile fades. First things first, he’s got to get that off her face. She can’t move on if she keeps on hiding who she is.

She knows the minute he walks into the room. It’s like electricity, giving her a little jolt. She looks at him as he walks over to her, kneeling by the chair. “You ok?”

She nods. “Yes. Just sitting here thinking I’m really glad you didn’t leave.”

He smiles. “Because you want me here or because of the storm?”

She blushes and looks away. “A little bit of both.”

He leans forward, kissing her cheek. “I’m sorry I slept so long.”

She smiles shyly at him. “You must have needed it. You seemed really tired when you got here.”

He shrugs. “Maybe I was, but I was more worried than anything.”

She looks back to the window. “I didn’t mean to worry you.”

He puts his hand on her chin and pulls her gaze back to his. “Teagan, I’m always going to worry about you, unless you’re right by my side. That’s what happens when you fall in love.”

She sighs as his lips cover hers. Love. He said it again. When he pulls back, she whispers softly, “Are you hungry?”

He smiles a naughty smile. “If I say yes, can we go back to bed?”

She blushes and giggles. “I meant for food.”

His laughter joins hers. “So did I. How about I cook for you and serve you dinner in bed?”

She blushes hotly. “Umm, well…”

He kisses her again. “I’m just teasing you Baby. A little. I told you, I’m not pushing you.”

Suddenly, the lights flicker. Then they are plunged into darkness. Her eyes are twinkling in the firelight. He leans closer. “Teagan?”

She feels his breath on her face. “Yes?”

He kisses her lightly. “Tell me this place has a gas stove. Otherwise, we might starve.”

She can’t stop the giggle that bubbles up inside her. Sitting her cup on the window ledge, she wraps her arms around his neck. “Wouldn’t matter. It’s a ski resort. I’ll call for room service if I have to. They do have snow mobiles.”

He laughs, hauling her against his body and onto the floor. “In that case, I hope the power is off for days and days.”

She snuggles in his arms. “I only rented this place for a week.”

He shrugs. “I’ll extend the reservation. I can afford it.” With her on his lap, he manages to maneuver himself closer to the fire. Once they are propped against the hearth, side by side, the heat of the flames warming their backs, he pulls away from her a little. “Teagan will you do something for me?”

She nods slowly. “I’ll try.”

He turns until their eyes meet and he can see her face by the light of the fire. “Take off the bandage.”

She shivers. “I haven’t…I don’t…”

He shushes her with a gentle kiss. “Teagan, it won’t change a thing between us. Please, Baby…just let go and trust me.”

She trembles as she lifts her hand, slowly peeling away the tape holding the gauze pad covering what’s left of the scar. When her hand falls away, Kevin studies her closely. He leans closer, gently kissing the still pink skin. “It’s beautiful, Teagan. From what I can tell, it’s all gone.”

She shivers. “Really? It’s gone?”

He nods. “This isn’t the best light, but I can’t see the scar at all.” When she trembles, he whispers, “Teagan, why are you so afraid of something that doesn’t change a thing?”

She sighs. “Kevin, everything has changed for me. I can’t do what I’ve always wanted to do. And every day I look in the mirror I’ll be reminded of why, as if my voice isn’t enough of a reminder.”

He holds her closer, pressing his forehead to hers. “Teagan, if the first surgery covered this scar…”

She shakes her head. “My doctor…nothing can be done for my neck. It’s too…severe and where it’s located…”

She hiccups softly. He cups her face with his free hand. “Sweetheart, I’m so sorry. But it doesn’t matter. I still want to be with you. Please don’t push me away.”

She bites her lip, laying her head on his shoulder. “How can it not matter Kevin? I can’t…your fans will never…”

He cuts her off quickly. “My fans do not control my life, Teagan. I love them for their loyalty and devotion, but that’s where it ends. If I have to choose between you or the fans, I choose you. I’ll always choose you.”

She pulls back, looking into his eyes. “Why?”

He smiles softly. “Because I don’t think I can live without you.”
Chapter End Notes:
Let me know! ~ D