- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
how's the other couple doing?? :)
Dark Times in Still Waters
Chapter 19
By Dottie
Copyright 2013

Natalie is stretched out on the sofa when her phone rings. Hoping it's Teagan, she grabs it quickly. "Hello? Teagan?"

Brian chuckles. "Nope. Just little old me."

Natalie sighs. "Hey, I'm sorry. How are you?"

She can hear his smile. "I'll be a lot better if you open your door and let me in."

She squeals, dropping her phone and running to the door. She swings it open and leaps into his arms. "Why are you here?"

He kisses her soundly. "I'm here to see you. Where's Teagan? Where's Kevin?"

She sighs. "Teagan went to Seven Springs and I sent Kevin after her. And now, there's a blizzard…and it’s heading this way. I can't get a call through to make sure she's ok."

He brushes her soft brown hair from her face. "I don't know about Teagan, but Kevin called me and said not to worry, he was on his way to see her and he'd see me in a few days. He sounded happier than he's been in a long time."

Natalie sighs. "I hope she's not mad at me."

He smiles. "Darling, she won't be mad at all and you know it. She needs him as much as he needs her. Now, will you do me a favor?"

She nods solemnly. "Sure."

His hands move to her waist. "Can you forget about them and kiss me?"

She winds her arms around his neck. “I think I can do that.”

Their lips meet in slow, sensual kiss. He growls against her mouth when she presses herself more firmly into his chest. Lifting her up, wraps her legs around his waist, planting his hands firmly on her buttocks to hold her in place. Their lips part and she whispers, “How can I miss you so much when you were just here a few days ago?”

He shrugs, carrying her to her bedroom and depositing her on the bed. “I feel the same way, Babe. I just can’t stop thinking about you.”

She plays with the collar on his shirt as he stretches out beside her. “Brian, does it seem like we’re moving awfully fast to you?”

He nods. “Honey, I’ll be honest with you…this scares the living daylights out of me. I have never wanted to be with anyone as much as I want to be with you.”

She bites her lip and stares at his Adams apple. “What if…what if this doesn’t work? I mean…I don’t expect you to…”

He puts his finger under her chin and tilts her head back. “We’re not going to worry about what-ifs, Nat. We’re going to think about you and me and how much we enjoy each other’s company. We’re going to keep getting to know one another and we’re going to see where it takes us. Agreed?”

She nods dreamily as she stares deeply into his baby-blues. “I want that Brian. More than anything.” His hand slides down her neck to her chest. He weighs her breast in his hand. She feels nervous. Even shy. Clearing her throat, she whispers, “Would you like a cup of coffee?”

He senses her nervousness and moves his hand to her stomach. “I would…but not now. Right now I just want to hold you. I’m not…Natalie, this isn’t just about sex. I want you, make no mistake, and hopefully, very soon we’ll both be naked and I’ll be buried inside you, but I’m not here for a booty call. When I say ‘get to know you’ I mean exactly that. If you don’t want to make love, we don’t have to.”

Her stomach clenches and he can feel her abdomen tighten with desire. “Brian, it’s not that I don’t want to…”

He leans down and kisses her lips softly. “Baby, it’s not about the sex. Come on, let’s go have that coffee. I’ll try to call Kevin and check on Teagan if it will make you feel better. Then we can watch a movie and talk. OK?”

She smiles shyly. “Brian…I don’t…I just…”

He kisses her again. “Shh. I told you, it’s ok. Now, how about that coffee?”

She nods, sitting up beside him. Putting her head on his shoulder, she whispers, “Thanks.”

He kisses the top of her head. “We have all the time in the world, Natalie. We don’t have to rush.”


Teagan stays snuggled up with Kevin against the hearth. The wind is howling outside and the snow just keeps piling up. She sighs quietly. “You still hungry?”

He smiles into the darkness, not moving. “Actually, I am. How about you?”

She nods against his chest. “Yeah, a little.” Pushing away, she says, “I’ll just go…”

He clears his throat. “I’ll go with you. If we work together, we can get back to the heat of the fire that much faster.”

She stands and he jumps up beside her. She manages to light a candle to help them find their way in the dark. When they reach the kitchen, she shivers. “Holy cow, it’s cold.”

He rubs his hands together. “Let’s make this fast. What are we having?”

She giggles, reaching in a drawer for a flashlight and a can opener. “Well, I didn’t plan on entertaining. The best I can do is soup and a sandwich.”

He swings her up into his arms. “Sounds perfect. I’ll heat the soup, you make sandwiches.”

She smiles to herself as he hugs her close. “Ham and cheese ok?”

He nods. “Sounds good. Don’t forget the mustard.”

She laughs shyly. “I would never forget that.”

It only takes a few minutes to get the food ready. When they get back to the hearth and settle down to eat, Kevin watches her closely. He can see she’s still nervous about him being there, but she does seem more relaxed. Picking up his sandwich, he says, “Do you know how long the storm is supposed to last?”

He sees her shrug as she swallows a bite. “Through tomorrow. I hope the phones are working in the morning. I should let Nat know I’m ok. I’m sure she’s worried. And with the storm heading that way…”

Kevin nods, focusing on his own food. “I should call Brian too, if the phones work. What about cell phones?”

She shakes her head. “I didn’t have a signal when I woke up. I can try again.”

He slides his hand over her knee. “Teagan, stop being so nervous. I won’t bite. Unless you want me too.”

She blushes, laughing as he intended. “I’m sorry, it’s just been…a long time since I had dinner with a man.”

He smiles. “Good. Cause it’s been a really long time since I’ve had such an intimate dinner with a woman. Glad we’re doing it together.”

They finish eating in a comfortable silence. Teagan stands, stacking the dishes. He starts to stand and she says, “No…just relax. I’ll be right back.”

With the flashlight in one hand and the dishes in the other, she makes her way to the kitchen. It’s so cold now she can see her breath in the air. Even though she’s freezing, she takes the time to take a few deep breaths. Reaching up, she runs her fingertips over the smooth skin of her face, not feeling any traces of the scar. Tears sting her eyes. It’s really gone.

Her fingers move to her neck. That ugliness remains. She whimpers, wishing she could turn back time and undo what’s been done. Her tears fall and she sobs silently.

Suddenly, Kevin is there, his arms wrapped around her. “It’s ok, Baby. I got you.”

She allows him to pick her up, carrying her through to the living room. He sits by the fire and holds her close, pressing the side of his face to hers. She mutters softly, “Why did this have to happen to me?”

He aches to make her feel better, but he doesn’t know how. “I don’t know Sweetheart. I wish I did. I wish I could make things better, but I don’t know how. I can’t change anything. I just...I feel helpless. Tell me what to do.”

She holds on to him tightly. “Nothing…there’s nothing…just…Kevin, please don’t let me go.”

He tightens his grip. “Never. Never in a million years will I let you go. I promise you that.”

Her sobs grow quieter as he softly sings to her. She can tell by the wavering of his voice he’s as upset as she is and her heart aches. She moves her lips to his cheek, kissing it softly, tasting his salty tears. Murmuring quietly, she whispers, “I’m sorry.”

He sighs deeply. “Now why are you sorry? There’s nothing to be sorry about.”

She snuggles against his neck and whispers, “I’m sorry I fell apart.”

He chuckles. “We all need to fall apart now and then.”

She sighs. “You never do.”

He whispers sadly, “Sure I do. I did when you disappeared. I was so afraid I fucked up so badly you’d never speak to me again.”

She pulls back and looks at him. “Kevin…I…”

He kisses her gently, stopping her. “Don’t. All that matters to me is we’re here now and I’m holding you.”

She runs her fingers through the hair on the back of his neck. “What about tomorrow?”

He smiles, pressing his forehead to hers. “I’ll hold you then too.”
Chapter End Notes:
Let me know!! ~ D