- Text Size +
Dark Times in Still Waters
Chapter 20
By Dottie
Copyright 2013

The storm rages on, but it doesn’t phase Kevin. He’s happy where he is, holding Teagan. “So, will you tell me something?”

She nods against his chest. “Sure.”

He rubs her arm. “Why did you become a teacher?”

She smiles fondly. “I had a teacher in high school that really made an impression on my life. Especially when she and her husband took me in after my parents died.”

His arm tightens around her. “I’m sorry, Darling. I don’t want to dredge up painful memories.”

She shakes her head. “It’s not painful anymore. It happened a long time ago.”

He kisses her temple. “And music was what your teacher taught?”

She laughs. “No, she was my algebra teacher. Music has always been my passion though, ever since I was little. I was playing piano before kindergarten. By high school, I could play many instruments so instead of being a cheerleader like my mom wanted, I was in band.”

He chuckles. “What did you play in the band?”

Laying her head over on his shoulder, she replies softly, “Freshman and sophomore years I played trumpet.”

He turns his head to look at her. “Junior and Senior?”

She giggles. “Drums.”

He laughs. “That’s quite a departure from brass.”

She laughs with him. “We didn’t have any drum majors my junior year. Not good ones anyway. So, I worked with the band leader and the rest is history.”

He loves to see her smiling and not worrying about the scars. “So, you play piano, trumpet and drums. Any others?”

She nods. “Guess.”

He stares at her, memorizing the smile on her face. “I wouldn’t know where to begin. Why don’t you just give me the run down?”

She giggles. “Spoil sport. I can play guitar, clarinet, saxophone and flute.”

She can tell he’s impressed. “Which is your favorite?”

She sighs. “Piano. It’s always been my favorite.”

He nods. “Mine too.”

She giggles and whispers, “Somehow I knew that.”

He laughs. “I guess there’s not much about me you don’t know.”

Her giggles subside. “Oh, I think there’s more to you than just being a Backstreet Boy.”

He sighs. "I'm glad you know that. I'm not defined by what I do...I just enjoy performing."

She pulls her knees upturning to face him more. "That's easy to see. You're all so talented and your voices blend..."

When her words trail off, he feels sad. Instead of pushing her to talk about her singing and how the accident has changed things, he says, "What were you school colors in high school?"

She glances up at his curious smile. “Seriously?” He just nods. She shrugs. “Black and Orange.” When he smiles again, she asks, “Are we playing twenty questions?”

He laughs. “Probably more than twenty, but yes, we are. I want to get to know you. What better way than to ask questions.”

She nods. “True. So I get to ask questions too?”

He laughs. “Not tonight. Tonight is mine. You can have tomorrow night.”

She folds her arms across her stomach, stretching her legs out straight beside his. “That’s not fair.”

He reaches over and tweaks her nose. “All’s fair in love and war. Next question, favorite movie?”

She tilts her head back. “That’s a tough one. I like to watch movies.”

He laughs. “Me too. So pick one.”

Closing her eyes, she picks the first movie that springs to mind. “Dirty Dancing.”

He nods appreciatively, thinking how much fun it would be dancing with her. “Nice. I like that movie.”

She leans her head over on his shoulder. “It’s such a beautiful story.”

He kisses the top of her head again. “It sure is. Know what?”

She sighs dreamily. “What?”

Bringing his fingers to her chin, he tilts her head back to look at him. “I wouldn’t let anyone put you in a corner either.” He lowers his head and kisses her slowly. Seductively.

Shivering at the touch of his lips, she pushes closer to him and he tightens his grip around her, drinking from her lips. They part slowly and he whispers, “I don’t think I’ll ever get enough of your kisses.”

She sighs dreamily, raising her lips to meet his once more. This time, the kiss is deeper. He slowly parts her lips with his tongue, gently sliding it in her mouth to taste her more deeply. She moans softly, bringing her hand up to rest on his shoulder, sliding it around to the back of his neck. He needs no further encouragement to deepen the kiss even more. His tongue sweeps through her mouth as he hauls her body closer to his.

They both are breathing heavily when they part. He stares into her eyes and for the first time, he sees trust. He smiles softly, deciding to keep going with the questions and keep her distracted from the scars. “What’s your favorite color?”

She’s thrown off guard by such an off the wall question. After all that, he’s asking her favorite color? Staring into his passion-filled eyes, she whispers, “Purple. Umm, what’s yours?”

He smiles, nuzzling her face. “I’m partial to blue, Sweetheart. Blue like your eyes.” She blushes, sighing deeply at the feel of his skin next to hers. “Where’s the one place in the world you want to go that you’ve never been?”

This is an easy one for her. “The Maldives.”

He pulls back. “Really?”

She nods. “Yes, really.”

He smiles. “Nice.” He thinks a minute. “Do you have hobbies?”

She shrugs. “Hard to say. I don’t really have time…well…I used to have no time for hobbies. I guess that’s changed.”

He frowns. “Do you like to read?”

She nods, “I’ve always loved to read.”

Glad he’s once again distracted her from the shooting, he asks, “When did you meet Natalie.”

Her face brightens. “In middle school. For a long time, we hated each other.”

His mouth drops. “Why?”

She giggles. “It’s kind of funny. We both liked the same boy and he chose her over me. So I was jealous.”

Kevin smiles, leaning over to kiss her temple. “Don’t tell her, but I’d never choose her over you.”

She smiles softly. “If you did, I couldn’t blame you. She’s an amazing lady.” Shaking her head slightly, she continues. “The boy isn’t the only reason we hated each other.”

His mouth drops. “Really? What else happened?”

Teagan smiles, amazed at how comfortable she is at this very moment. “She didn’t like sharing her parents with me. She was an only child and after they fostered me…”

He breaks in. “Natalie’s parents were your foster parents?”

She nods. “Yeah. I moved in with them our freshman year. By the time we were juniors, we were best friends. She was part of the color guard, so we ended up spending a lot of time together.”

He takes her hand, drawing circles on it with his thumb. “And you both became teachers?”

Again, she nods, this time more slowly. “Yeah. She teaches fourth grade.”

He sighs. “I’m sorry, Sweetheart. I’m trying to not talk about what happened yet everything seems to come back to it.”

She shrugs lightly. “Not talking about it doesn’t change the fact that it happened.”

He lifts her hand to his lips. “No, but talking about it makes you sad. I don’t want you to be sad. Now that you know…”

She glances up at him. “Now that I know what?”

He puts her hand to the side of his face. “Now that you know you mean a great deal to me…I want to know everything about you.”

She can’t stop herself from asking, “Why?”

He chuckles, gently grabbing her chin. “I told you before, Silly. I’m falling for you. A boyfriend needs to know things about his girl, don’t you think?”

Her heart flutters. “Kevin…I don’t…girlfriend?”

He smiles and nods. “Yes, girlfriend. As in I want YOU to be MY girlfriend. There, I’m officially asking.” She shivers. Every part of her wants to say yes, and at the same time, she’s afraid. Before she can answer, he whispers, “Give me a chance, Teagan. Let me prove to you that you’re the one I want.”

She sighs. “Kevin, I…”

He leans closer…”Say yes.” He takes her lips with his for a deep, gentle kiss. They part slowly and he stares into her eyes. Even in the dim light from the fire, he can see her desire for him, even if she’s not ready to admit it. “Please, Sweetheart…”

She sighs softly. “Kevin, I’m…so…”

He puts his forehead against hers, closing his eyes. “Don’t be afraid Baby. I swear I’m never going to hurt you.”

She runs her tongue over her lips. “Kevin…”

Her whispered plea urges him on. He captures her lips, this time unleashing his pent up passion. His tongue slides across her lips and he finds himself once again tasting her sweetness. He groans as she greedily sucks his tongue, slipping her hands into his hair to hold him close.

Needing more than her pressed up against his side, he reaches over and grabs her waist, effortlessly lifting her. Instinct kicks in and she straddles his lap, bringing her other hand up to his neck, her fingertips scratching the back of his neck lightly.

When he pulls back, she whimpers. He smiles lazily. “Oh it’s not over Babe. Not by a long shot.”

He grabs the hem of her sweater and slowly lifts it up. His fingers disappear under it, gently rubbing and teasing the warm, heated flesh of her back. She squirms on his lap, feeling his hardness pressing up into her.

Her mind reels. Her body is screaming out for his touch. Her limbs tremble as her womanhood fills with heat. She wants him. She wants him so badly she aches. Pulling her lips from his, she whispers, “Yes…oh Kevin, yes!”

Chapter End Notes:
Think she's getting over it?? Let me know! ~ D