- Text Size +
Dark Times in Still Waters
Chapter 24
By Dottie
Copyright 2013

Natalie slowly opens her eyes. Her head is pounding from the alcohol consumption, but she ignores that when she realizes she’s lying on her stomach and Brian’s body is covering hers. The heat and weight of his body is almost stifling and she starts to feel sick. Moaning, she mutters, “Brian move!”

His body shifts a bit, but he doesn’t wake up. She pushes with her arms, trying to lift her body to dislodge him. Finally she manages to scoot from underneath him and stagger into the bathroom. After emptying her stomach into the toilet, she manages to brush her teeth before bravely looking at herself in the mirror. What she sees makes her want to hide before Brian wakes up.

Her hair is a complete disaster. Her eyes bloodshot, her skin pale. She looks closer and sees orange, green and red streaks down her body where she and Brian did body shots. She can’t help it, her body tingles at the thought of his lips on her skin. She shakes her head, immediately regretting the move.

Holding onto the vanity, she thinks back to the night before. No regrets. Well she has one…and it’s not the sex. The sex was incredible and she’s all for doing that again.

Suddenly her phone rings. She slides on her robe and staggers back into the bedroom, praying it’s Teagan and praying it doesn’t wake Brian. Her eyes meet his just as she grabs her phone. She blushes hotly as she stammers. “H-h-hello?”

From the other end of the line she hears, “Hey, it’s me.”

She sits on the bed. “Teagan, you ok?”

Teagan tries to remain positive, but Natalie can tell something is wrong. “Yeah, I’m ok. The storm knocked out the power, but I’m perfectly fine.”

Natalie sighs. “Thank God. I was so worried.”

She can hear Teagan clear her throat. “Umm, can you let Brian know Kevin’s here and he’s ok too?”

Natalie glances at Brian. “Kevin’s ok.” Standing, she walks out of the room, asking softly, “Teagan, what’s wrong? You sound…sad. Are you mad that I told Kevin where you were?”

She hears Teagan sigh. “No, Nat, I’m not mad. I know why you did it. And…well…I’m sorry I’ve worried you so much. I just…I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to get used to this.”

Natalie sits on the couch, blushing as she looks around at the mess she and Brian made. “Teag, it’s going to take time. I’m here for you and so is Kevin.” When she hears Teagan sniffle, she asks softly, “What happened with you and Kevin?”

She can almost see Teagan weighing her words. She’s positive Kevin isn’t around when Teagan confesses, “We slept together.” After Natalie gasps in shock, Teagan continues hurriedly. “Nothing happened…well, not really. It was…I wanted him to…but he didn’t.”

Natalie can tell Teagan is confused. “What did he say, Teagan?”

Teagan sighs. “He said he’d wait until I was ready. Nat, I was ready last night but he stopped. He…oh I don’t want to talk about it.”

Natalie pushes anyway. “Well you’re going to talk about it. Teagan, he’s head over heels for you. I know you don’t believe it, but it’s true.”

When Teagan hiccups and sobs, Natalie regrets pushing. “Nat, I do believe that…but I don’t think it’s…he just feels sorry for me is all.”

Natalie wants to scream. “Teagan, the last thing he feels is sorry for you. You have to stop feeling sorry for yourself. We can’t change what happened. We can’t fix it. God knows if I could I would because you don’t deserve the shitty hand you’ve been dealt. But you’re stronger than this. Once you realize that you’re still you, you’ll pick yourself up and move on. So what if you can’t sing? You can still teach music! You just have to try. The only person that feels sorry for you is you.” Teagan gasps. Natalie reigns in her emotions. “I’m sorry Teag. I didn’t mean to sound so harsh. Honest.”

Teagan sniffles. “I know…but you’re right. I do feel sorry for myself. I don’t know how to get past it.”

Natalie smiles at her friend opening up. “First things first, you go find Kevin and seduce him. Attack him. Rape him if you have to. Show him you’re ready.”

Teagan blushes at the thought. “What if I’m not, Nat? I mean, I like him but…I don’t know if I’m ready for what he wants.”

Natalie is confused. “What does he want Teagan?”

Teagan sighs and admits, “He wants me to be his girlfriend.”

Natalie doesn’t know what to say. Finally, she asks, “What do you want?”

She hears Teagan sniffle before quietly admitting, “I want to be me again. And I want to be with him. I’m just not sure I can.”

Natalie feels like crying. “Talk to him, Girl. Tell him how you feel.”

When Teagan’s tone changes, she knows Kevin is there. “I just wanted to let you know I’m ok. I’m…I don’t know when I’ll be home. It’s bad here. The roads are closed.”

Natalie sighs. “As long as I know you’re ok, just stay there and stay safe. And call me.”

The call ends and Natalie sits quietly, thinking about Teagan and Kevin. She’s startled when Brian sits down beside her. “Is she ok?”

She glances at him, taking note of the stains on his chest, in addition to the hickey on his neck. Blushing, she looks away. “I guess. I don’t know. I…Kevin got there but she’s confused about everything.”

Brian takes her hand. “Hey, we said no regrets.”

She glances at him. “I don’t regret it Brian.” Rubbing her temples, she mutters, “Well maybe the alcohol.” Meeting his gaze again, she whispers honestly, “I don’t regret it at all.”

He leans closer and kisses her softly. “Good. Cause I borrowed your toothbrush.”

She can’t help but laugh, grabbing her head. He pulls her into his arms and she lays her head on his shoulder. “Brian, how does Kevin…I mean…does he truly care about Teagan?”

He rubs her arm softly. “He’s falling in love with her Natalie. It’s as simple and just as complicated at that. He knows she’s fragile but…and I can say this because he’s my cousin…he doesn’t do things half way. If she can’t…if she doesn’t want him around, he’ll walk away, but he’s always going to love her. That’s the way he is.”

She dreads the answer to her next question. “What about his ex?”

Brian sighs. “He loved her, but it wasn’t a forever kind of love. They worked because at the time they needed what each other had to offer. Once Kevin realized he was just going through the motions, he walked away. He fell out of love with her because it was never a forever kind of love.”

She leans back. “How do you know this is?”

He looks at her solemnly. “The only time Kevin ever really cried was when his Dad died. And when he thought he’d never see Teagan again. He feels things deeply but no one ever sees him cry. I never saw him cry for the woman he married. But he cried for Teagan.”

Natalie sniffles, falling against Brian’s chest. “She has to be ok, Brian.”

He rubs her back, trying to calm her. “She will be. If it’s not right, Kevin will walk away. He won’t risk hurting her because she means too much to him. You just have to believe it’s all gonna be ok.”

Natalie thinks about what he says as she lays quietly in his arms. She wants to believe everything is going to be ok for Teagan. For herself, she’s not so sure. She became something with Brian she’s never been before. She became a carefree, completely sexual creature with untamed sexual appetites. But she’s also realized his big blue eyes have burrowed their way into her heart and she’s falling hard for him. Does she dare believe things are going to work out for them? Or will always be just sexual attraction?

Chapter End Notes:
Still hanging in there? Let me know! ~ D