- Text Size +
Dark Times in Still Waters
Chapter 26
By Dottie
Copyright 2013

Kevin gets to their room to find Teagan packing. She looks up when he comes in and blushes. He smiles softly. She looks away. "Did you...decide what you want to do?"

Instead of just hearing her words, he hears sadness. Insecurity. He hears what the woman in the lobby was trying to tell him. Teagan needs the words. And she needs his actions to speak louder than his words.

He moves into the room and gently closes the door. He leans against it, knowing if he touches her they may not make it back to the cottage that afternoon. He crosses his arms. "I'm going to stay with you Teagan."

She takes a shaky breath, more than relieved to hear his words. "They said we'd be going back...to the cottage...soon."

He sees the tension in her body, but he knows now she's not really afraid of him. She wants more than just the words. She needs to know he means everything he says. Taking a chance that he can control the carnal urges he's feeling, he moves away from the door.

When he's standing close to her side he reaches out and touches her back. "Teagan look at me." When she slowly turns her eyes up to his, he whispers, "I told you, I won't leave."

She shivers at his words. She can't stop herself from whispering, "Why?"

His hands come up to cup her face, stroking her cheeks softly with his thumbs. "Ask me again when we're back in the cottage. If I tell you now..." His lips move closer and he kisses her softly. The kiss deepens. He steals her breath as he hauls her body in closer.

Just as his tongue slips between her lips, there's a knock at the door. "Miss Michaels, the Snowcat is ready."

They part with a gasp from her and a groan from him. He whispers, "Remember one thing, Teagan. I'm falling in love with you."


The trip in the Snowcat is eerily quiet. Teagan feels the heat of Kevin's gaze but she can't look at him. He said it again. He's falling in love with her. What does that mean? What kind of love does he feel?

When they disembark, the driver handing them their bags, he offers this advice. "Don't stray far from your cottage. The storm is expected to last for several more hours. We'll be back to refuel the generator before dark."

Teagan nods. "Thanks."

As he pulls away, Kevin guides her inside the cottage, helping her with her coat. She moves to the fire, not sure what's next. She jumps when his arms circle her waist. He puts his lips next to her ear and whispers "Don't be afraid of me."

She shivers. "I'm not afraid of you."

He chuckles. "Don't be afraid of what you're feeling."

She whimpers when his hands move up her torso. "Kevin, I..."

He kisses her neck, moving one of his hands up to take her chin and turn her face to his. Her gasp of longing is swallowed when his lips cover hers heatedly. She allows herself to savor the heat spreading through her blood as he coaxes her tongue into a dance.

As he holds her face so his lips can plunder hers, his other hand firmly cups her breast, gently kneading her tender flesh as she fully gives herself to him and his touch. Suddenly, he pulls his lips away, spinning her around until they are facing each other fully. Unleashing the passion that's been building inside him, he crushes her in his embrace and takes her mouth in another heated kiss.

Her arms circle his waist and she holds on to him tightly, surrendering every part of herself to him. He senses her surrender. He can almost smell her desire as he lifts her in his arms, carrying her to the bed.

When he lays her on her back, his body sinks down beside hers. Looking into her eyes, he whispers, "Teagan, do you know why I came?"

She shakes her head slowly. ”No, I don’t. Why?"

He takes a lock of her hair and rubs it between his fingers. He smiles softly, his eyes filled with emotion. "I'm here because ever since the first time I laid eyes on you, I haven't been able to get you out of my head. I’ve dreamed of you, I’ve ached to hold you. All because you’ve crawled under my skin and into my heart.” When she gasps, he whispers, “I do love you Teagan Mia Michaels. That’s why I won’t ever leave you.”

Tears fill her eyes as he leans closer and captures her lips in a sexy kiss. Her fingers tangle in his hair as sobs rack her body. He moves his face to her neck, slipping his arms under her body to cradle her as she wraps her arms and legs around him. He moves his lips to her ear, tears of his own stinging his eyes. “Baby, Baby, please don’t cry. My old heart can’t take it.”

She hiccups and giggles, her heart fluttering. “You’re not old.”

He laughs, pushing up to roll off her body and onto his side beside her. He props up on his elbow and traces her face with a single finger. “I’m really hoping this means that some part of you has fallen for me too?”

She blushes hotly, slowly nodding her head. “Oh I have Kevin. I did on the ship but…”

His eyes darken and sadness creeps into the room. He leans forward, kissing her tear stained cheek. “Don’t think about the cruise. Think about us. You and me Teagan. The cruise is in the past.”

She sighs, wanting to snuggle closer to him and he scoops her into his arms, squeezing her. She sighs against his chest. “It wasn’t all bad.”

He smiles kissing the top of her head. “No it wasn’t. Our night on deck together was more than nice.”

He feels her shiver and his smile widens when she says, “I wanted to just stay there forever.”

He lazily runs his hand down her arm. “I came back looking for you when you disappeared. Every part of me wanted to love you that night.”

She trembles, shyly admitting, “I wanted it too. You made me forget for a minute that…”

When her voice trails off, he pushes her onto her back. As she stares up at him, he whispers, “I want you to forget. I want you to only think about you and me and the endless nights of love we have ahead of us.”

Her lip quivers. She runs her hand up his arm and whispers, “Just nights?”

His wicked smile makes her heart race. “We’ll have the days too Baby. I promise.”


Natalie and Brian are restless. After cleaning up the mess and showering, they find themselves going stir crazy. Both have pent up energy that needs to be worked off, so Brian suggests a foray out into the snow.

Once outside, they become kids again. First they attempt to build a snowman that ends up looking like a lump of snow with eyes and arms. Then Natalie grabs a ball of snow and lobs it at Brian, catching him square in the chest. His playful growl makes her squeal and she tries to run as he takes off after her. When he catches her, he pushes her into a snow bank and falls on top of her. Their eyes meet and he whispers, “If I had to be stranded by this storm, I’m glad it was with you.”

The cold snow against her back is nothing compared to the lustful heat in his eyes. As bundled up as they are, she can’t really touch him, but her gaze speaks volumes more than her whispered agreement. “I’m glad you’re here too.”

He kisses her then. The friction of their lips bringing warmth into their bodies. From behind Brian, a voice calls out, “Would you two mind taking it inside? We need to plow this lot.”

Natalie blushes as Brian chuckles. He jumps up, holding out his hand. He turns to the driver of the snow plow and says, “Sure thing. We were just making snow men.”

The plow driver laughs, shaking his head. “Son, you don’t make snow MEN that way. You make babies that way! Now get moving!”

Natalie averts her gaze, her face blazing with shame as Brian takes her hand. They make their way out of the lot and back into the building. As the elevator rises to Natalie’s floor, Brian asks softly, “Are you cold?”

She shivers. “Just a bit. You?”

He shakes his head, stepping closer to her. “No. Not at all. I’m feeling rather warm.” When she gasps, he smiles lazily. “I think I need to shed a few layers.”

As he unbuttons his coat, she murmurs, “We’re in an elevator?”

His laugh if wicked. “Yes I know…and when we get to your floor, and into your room, I’m going to fight my way through every layer you’re wearing and taste every inch of your body.”

Her body trembles. “More jello shots?”

He shakes his head. “No, this time I’m going to get drunk on you.”


Chapter End Notes:
What do you think?? ~ D