- Text Size +
Dark Times in Still Waters
Chapter 32
By Dottie
Copyright 2014

Teagan and Kevin are able to get out of the resort and back to Teagan's apartment six days later. Kevin had his rental car picked up so he could ride back with Teagan. While she drives, he calls Brian, surprised to find he and Natalie took a spur of the moment trip to New York. Because of the blizzard, Natalie has an impromptu week off of work and when Brian found out she had always wanted to see New York, he convinced her to go.

When Teagan opens the apartment door, Kevin carries their bags in. "Where should I put these?"

She nods down the hallway, "My room is at the end on the right."

As he walks down the hallway, Teagan moves into the kitchen staring out the window at the dreary looking, gray sky. They had managed to enjoy their time at the cottage as long as neither mentioned the impending tour. Teagan knew they couldn’t keep avoiding the topic. She knew they had to talk it out and somehow come to an understanding about it.

When Kevin steps into the room he moves to stand behind her. “I wish the sun would come out. All these clouds are gloomy.”

She nods, turning to face him. “I know. I hate winter. It’s so depressing. I need sunshine.”

He smiles and says, “You know, if you want to move to California or Florida with me, you’d have a lot more sun.”

She nods. “Believe me, I know. I say the same thing every year, but I never move. My kids need me here.” Her voice falters. “Well, they did need me.”

He grabs her shoulders. “They STILL need you Teagan. You can teach them.”

She sighs. “Kevin, we’ve talked about this…”

He nods. “And we’re going to keep talking about it until you come to realize that what happened to you doesn’t have to stop you from being who you are. You adapt and you change and you find a way. Let me help you find a way to do it Teagan.” When she doesn’t say anything, he says, “Teagan, what if one of your students was in an accident and could never walk again. What would you say to them when they wanted to give up?” When she doesn’t answer immediately, he murmurs, “Think about Sweetheart.” He kisses her forehead and leaves the room, hoping he’s made her understand she can’t give up.

He goes into the living room and pulls out his phone, finally answering the text messages and emails he got while he was at the resort and out of contact. He knows the minute Teagan walks into the room. He also knows she’s upset. He looks up from his phone to find her staring at him intently. He puts his phone aside and whispers, “Teagan, what’s wrong?”

She sits across from him with her hands wrapped around her knees. “I’m afraid.”

He leans forward, pain stabbing at his heart when she pulls away from him. “What are you afraid of?”

She shrugs lightly, fighting to swallow a hysterical sob. “What if I can’t do it? What if I try and…”

He shakes his head slowly. “At least you will have tried. Teagan, God knows it won’t be easy, but the alternative…Baby I just want to see you smile. A real smile, not a guarded one. I want you to forget about what happened and the scars and just live for the moment. I know you can do it. I believe in you.”

She trembles. “What if I never forget?”

He moves to kneel in front of her, placing his hands on her thighs. “Stop thinking ‘what if’ Teagan. Come on tour with me. Let me show you it doesn’t matter.”

She wants to go with him. She wants to spend every conceivable moment with him. She whispers hoarsely, “The fans…”

He shakes his head. “Don’t. Teagan the people I’m closest too…the people who will be part of our lives…you’ll see it won’t matter to them. If some of the fans make snide remarks…ignore it. It won’t mean anything to you or me. I love you for exactly who you are…I love you exactly how you are. Please Baby; just let me prove it to you.”

She leans closer to him and presses her forehead to his. “What if I can’t?”

He moves closer and kisses her softly. “You can. I’ll be with you. Please? At least think about it?”

She slides her arms around his neck and scoots forward on the chair. He hugs her against his chest and she whispers, “I’ll…try.”

He smiles into her hair. “That’s all I can ask of you Darling. I promise I won’t push.”

She knows he won’t. But…maybe it’s what she needs. She pulls back. “When does the tour start, Kevin?”

He tilts his head to the side. “A few more weeks. Why?”

She chews on her lip. “I think…maybe you were right…about counseling. I’d like to call Penelope. She gave me her card…”

He can’t stop the smile that spreads across his face. “Teagan…”

She covers his lips with her fingers. “No…Kevin, listen. I know you and Nat both want to help me but…I think I have to figure this out on my own somehow. I want to do it for you…I want to be as strong as you think I can, but…I think I need to do it for myself first. Does that make sense?”

He nods, tears swimming in his eyes. “Teagan I don’t expect you to do for me. I just want you to be happy. And I want to be part of that happiness.”

She covers his lips with hers, kissing him softly. When the part, she murmurs quietly, “YOU make me happy, Kevin. You make me believe. You give me hope.”

His tears fall and he whispers, “Darling, I love you.”

She smiles through tears of her own. “I love you too.”

Chapter End Notes:
Let me know!! ~ D