- Text Size +
Dark Times in Still Waters
Chapter 33
By Dottie
Copyright 2014

When Natalie finds out Teagan is home, she and Brian make plans to return. Surprise is evident on both their faces when they get back to the apartment to find Teagan alone. Brian cautiously asks, “Umm, where’s Kev?”

Teagan manages a smile. “He went home a couple of days ago. I have…I needed some space.”

Catching the hint, Brian mutters, “I actually should get back myself. We only have a few more weeks before the tour starts.”

Teagan crosses her arms and says, “Brian…I’m sorry. I don’t want to interrupt your time with Natalie. I don’t…if you want to stay you can, but…I just need you guys to leave me alone, ok?”

He shakes his head. “Don’t be sorry, Teagan. I’m not upset. I really should get some stuff in order before the tour.”

She shoots him a grateful smile and whispers, “Thanks,” before running into her room to give them privacy.

Brian turns to Natalie. “What do you think this is all about?”

Natalie just shakes her head. “I have no fucking clue. But I’m going to find out.”

As she starts to walk away, Brian grabs her arm. “No. Baby, wait. Maybe…Kevin wouldn’t have left if he thought she needed him. Something’s going on.”

Natalie turns to face Brian. “I guess…I just…I’m afraid.”

He pulls her into a loving embrace. “Nat, we’re all afraid. She’s in a fragile state of mind. Maybe if I leave she’ll open up to you.”

Natalie turns her head to kiss his neck, inhaling the heady fragrance of cologne. “I’m…I’m glad you came Brian.”

Ever the goofball, he whispers softly, “I thought we both came…a lot.”

She giggles and pulls away from him, slapping his arm. “Leave it to you to ruin a tender moment.”

He grabs her and pushes her against the wall, pinning her body with his as his eyes lock on hers. “Our time together has been perfect and I have loved every minute of it. Thanks for letting me get stranded with you.”

She plays with the curly hair at the nape of his neck. “Anytime. Thanks for showing up.”

He grins and dips his head for a deep, sultry kiss. When they part, he murmurs, “Call me when you find out what’s going on?”

She nods. “If she tells me. I’m sorry…”

He shakes his head. “Don’t be sorry. Teagan needs you. I’ll call you when I get home.”

She holds on to him as he tries to pull away. “Don’t you think you should make sure you can get a flight before you leave? You can stay here until you know for sure.”

From the hallway leading to the bedrooms Teagan speaks softly, “Yes, Brian, make sure you have a flight before you leave. I have errands to run.” She sends Natalie and pleading glance. “Can I talk to you for a minute?”

Natalie nods as Brian pulls away from her. She follows Teagan down the hallway and into her room, surprised to find her suitcase open on the bed. “Where are you going? You just got home?”

Teagan shrugs. “No where. I was putting things away.” Taking a deep breath, she blurts out, “Nat, I’m going to see a therapist this afternoon.”

Natalie does a double take. “You…what?”

Teagan takes a deep breath and says, “Sit down Nat. I need to tell you something and you’re not allowed to speak until I finish. Deal?”

Natalie sits on the bed. “What’s going on Teag?”

For the next half hour, Natalie sits in horror listening to Teagan confess to almost committing suicide. She’s shocked into silence by the matter-of-fact way Teagan tells the story…but more importantly she’s moved almost to tears when Teagan admits that Kevin’s love is what saved her.

When Teagan winds the story down, telling Natalie about Penelope and her appointment with the therapist this afternoon, all Natalie can manage to do is whisper, “Teag…”

Teagan sits by her friend and they share a warm, sisterly embrace. “Nat, you’ve been the best possible friend I could ever have. You’ve gone above and beyond to take care of me until I realized I have to take care of myself. Penelope is going to help me find a way to cope with all this shit. She thinks she can help me…forget…somehow.”

Natalie pulls away from Teagan to look at her. “And Kevin?”

Teagan smiles and Natalie’s heart soars with hope. “Kevin will be here if I need him. Right now, I need both of you to let me do this on my own. OK?”

Unsure, Natalie whispers, “But, what if…”

Teagan shakes her head. “I won’t try to kill myself again, Nat. I can’t. I’m too big of a coward. I just…I think I have to face the hurt before it goes away. I can’t do that with you and Kevin. You both are hell bent on protecting me.”

Natalie whispers, “But Teagan, all you’ve done is suffer the hurt since it happened.”

Teagan shakes her head. “No Nat. I suffered the anger. The man that did this to me…I hate him with a passion. I feel more violated than I would have if I had been raped. He took something from me I will never be able to get back and I fucking hate him for it. That hate is what’s killing me.”

Natalie watches as Teagan stands and grabs her coat. “Teag, what can I do?”

Teagan smiles at her. “Nothing. Not yet anyway. Go take care of Brian. He doesn’t really have to leave. I just…I need you all to understand that as much as I know you want to help me, I have to do this myself.”

Natalie nods slowly. “We love you Teag. We want…”

Teagan grabs her purse, fighting away the tears. “I love you too. And thanks.”

Teagan leaves the room, taking quick determined steps to get out of the apartment before she loses her nerve. As she passes Brian in the living room, she whispers, “Don’t go yet Brian. Stay with Nat a while. I’ll be back later.”

After she leaves, Brian turns as Natalie enters the room looking shell-shocked. He takes her hand. “Sweetheart, what’s the matter?”

Natalie’s eyes meet his and he sees a spark he’s never seen before. He smiles as she whispers, “Kevin did it. The old Teagan is back.”

He pulls her into a tight embrace. “I told you my cousin was in love.”

Natalie lays her head on his shoulder. “You Kentucky boys are something else.”

He pulls back and cups her face, bringing her lips to his for a sweet, seductive kiss. “You ain’t seen nothing yet, Baby.”
Chapter End Notes:
What do you think? ~ D