- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Again I must beg for forgiveness. The bad back isn't allowing me to do the simplest of things. I really hope you guys are sticking with me on this one. Love your comments and reviews and truly hope you're enjoying the story. ~ D

Dark Times in Still Waters
Chapter 37
By Dottie
Copyright 2014

Brian wakes up from a mid-afternoon nap to find Natalie sitting on the patio staring at the ocean. He can tell she has a lot on her mind. He walks over and sits down on the chair beside her thighs. "What's wrong Natty?"

She turns to him. "I can't stop thinking about Teagan. As much as I love being here with you, I shouldn't have left her alone for Thanksgiving."

He cups her face with his hand. "You know if you had stayed, she'd have felt guilty as hell. She wants to do all this alone and every time you try to help her, she just gets more depressed. You told me yourself she's facing things head on. Penny seems to be helping her."

Natalie sighs. "I know you're right. But she's all alone. Kevin left because she asked him to. I just...I'm scared Brian. She was suicidal."

Brian scoots closer to her. "What would you say if I told you Kevin never left town?"

Natalie's mouth drops. "Where was he? Why didn't he call her? She cried herself to sleep every night!"

Brian grabs her hands. "Natty, listen to me. He's been seeing Teagan's therapist too. She told Kevin the best thing any of us can do is just to do exactly what Teagan asks of us."

Natalie sighs, leaning forward to put her head on his shoulder. "I just miss the old Teagan so much. She hasn't laughed in months. She's..."

Brian pulls back and grips her shoulders. "Kevin sent me a text message. He's with Teagan. And she's fine."

Natalie's eyes light up. "Really? She's not alone?"

He shakes his head. "She's not alone. Now, can we talk about something else?"

Her smile fades. "I'm sorry Brian. I'm so sorry."

He slides his fingers through her hair. "Natty, you don't have to be sorry. I know how much Teagan means to you. I just don't think you realize how much of yourself you're losing. Do you think she's going to be happy if she knows you are miserable? You want her to live her life, but you're not living yours."

She hears his words and she realizes he's right. "You're right Brian."

His lips curve up in an easy smile. "You're an amazing lady, Natalie Byron. Meeting you has got to be the single most incredible thing that's ever happened to me." Her mouth forms a silent 'o' as he continues softly. "I'm not Mr. Romance like Kevin. I don't always show my sentimental side because frankly I've been burned one too many times. I've treated you more like a buddy than a girlfriend...I want to change that."

Her heart pounds and she manages to whisper, "What are you saying?"

His eyes roam around her face. "I'm saying I care about you. I care a LOT about you. I want you to be my girlfriend."

She reaches up to curl her fingers around his arm. “When you say girlfriend…”

He laughs. “I mean my girl. No one else in my life but you. No one else in your life but me.”

She smiles. “I haven’t seen anyone since we started seeing each other.”

His smile fades. “You…for real? No dates?”

She feels her heart sink. “No, no one. The last two months, the only person I’ve been out with is you.” When he doesn’t say anything, she stammers, “I take it you can’t say the same?”

He stands slowly, moving away from her. “Natty, we always said ‘no strings, no regrets’ didn’t we? It was just a good time. I’ve…I’m not going to lie to you, I took an old girlfriend out a time or two, but that was it. Just dinner, nothing else.”

Natalie can feel jealousy stab at her heart, but she hides it well. “We did say that Brian. If I say yes to being your girlfriend…”

He turns to face her. “You mean…you’re not mad?”

She shrugs, struggling to keep her face from showing the pain. “You’re right, we did say no regrets and it was all in fun…”

He strides back over to her, sitting down and grabbing her hands. “It wasn’t just ‘all in fun’ Natty. What I was feeling for you scared me. I asked Carrie out because I wanted to prove to myself I wasn’t falling for you. But it didn’t work.”

Natalie bites her lip and stares into his eyes. After a minute, she says, “Did you…sleep with her?”

He shakes his head vehemently. “No! We just had dinner and went dancing once. The other time we went to a movie. I…I only kissed her and it was…it wasn’t you.” When she looks away, he mutters, “Natty I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have told you. I just…I didn’t realize…”

Suddenly, Natalie sees that deep down inside, Brian is extremely insecure. His less-than-serious nature covers up some serious anxiety he has with commitment. She scoots closer to him and whispers, “I’d love to be your girl Brian.”

He slides his arms around her waist and laces his fingers on her back. “Are you sure? I mean…I…”

She leans closer and kisses him softly. “I want to be with you Brian.”

He pushes her onto her back on the lounger and stretches out beside her. His fingertips slide up under her shirt to tease her stomach as he drops his lips onto hers for a sensual kiss. He has one of her hands trapped between their bodies. Her other hand slides up his well defined arm to his neck. She lightly scratches his neck as she opens her mouth to his.

Just as his hand pushes her shirt up so he can cup her breast, her phone rings. They break apart slowly, both of them recognizing Teagan’s ringtone. Brian stares at her with affection and murmurs, “It’s ok if you want to answer it.”

She turns her head to look at her phone before turning back to Brian. “I’ll call her back.”

He smiles wickedly, swiping his thumb over her nipple as he drops his lips to her neck. As he sucks on the sensitive flesh below her ears, she moans, “Should we take this inside?”

He lifts his head and looks around. Two of his neighbors do have a somewhat unobstructed view of his back yard. Sighing, he stands, holding his hand out to help her up. “We are definitely going inside. No one gets to see you but me.”

She smiles evilly, standing close to him and pulling his head to hers for a hot, steamy kiss. He gets so into her, he doesn’t realize she’s maneuvered them closer to the pool. When they pull apart, breathing hard, Natalie whispers, “First one to the bedroom gets to ride.”

He opens his mouth for a saucy reply, but doesn’t get to make it as she shoves him into the pool. When he comes up sputtering, she laughs. He moves to the steps of the pool and starts up them, shooting her a menacing glare. “You’re gonna pay for that Natty.”

She turns to run from him as he takes off after her. Just as she reaches the bedroom door, he grabs her from behind and pushes her against the wall. With his wet body pressed against her back, he murmurs huskily, “You might get to ride, Wench…but when I get through with you, you won’t be able to sit for a week.”

She squirms as he grabs her and spins her around to face him. With his wet chest pressed against hers, she whispers, “Promise?”

He grins wickedly, pressing his knee firmly between her thighs. “I fucking guarantee it Baby.”
Chapter End Notes:
Please let me know what you think! ~ D