- Text Size +
Dark Times In Still Waters
Chapter 41
By Dottie
Copyright 2014

When they get to the office, the school secretary comes from behind her desk and hugs Teagan. "Welcome back."

Teagan forces a smile, feeling exhausted from the roller coaster of emotion she's been on. "How are you Leslie?"

She smiles warmly. "I'm doing well. Keeping busy."

Mr. Stansel comes out of his office. Penny walks over to him and Teagan hears him murmur, "Everything is ready."

She moves away from Leslie. "What is ready?"

Mr. Stansel and Leslie leave the office. Kevin kisses Teagan's cheek and murmurs, "I love you." When he leaves the office too, Teagan turns to Penny and waits.

Penny leans against the counter. "Teagan, when I approached Mr. Stansel about coming here today, he suggested that maybe some of the students could see you. Talk to you. They miss you terribly. I...I think you need this Teagan. You need to know that you've made a difference in their lives."

Teagan's lip quivers. "Penny, it's too much...I can't...I don't think I can do it."

Penny reaches out and grabs Teagan by her shoulders. "Listen to me...you can do this. You just looked into the hearts of a broken family and helped them find closure. Your kids want to do something extra special for you...won't you please let them?"

Teagan thinks about her kids and her heart just melts. She shivers as she slowly nods her head. "OK...but...where did Kevin go?"

Penny smiles. "He's not far away. Come on. Let's go. I think you're going to love this Teagan. I truly do."

When they walk into the gymnasium, Teagan is greeted by thunderous applause. She stops just inside the door, looking around. All of her kids are wearing purple t-shirts with musical notes on them. Penny holds her arm and guides her across the basketball court to the center of the bleachers where a spot is waiting for her to sit. She sees Kevin waiting, surrounded by his fellow band mates. Natalie is there too, smiling widely with tears pouring from her eyes.

Suddenly, a young girl breaks away from the bleachers and runs toward Teagan. Teagan smiles through her tears as Meagan, her 8 year old would-be mini-me, throws herself into her favorite teacher’s arms. Over the roar of the crowd, she hears Meagan cry out, “I’ve missed you Miss Michaels.”

Teagan hugs her tightly and whispers hoarsely, “I’ve missed you too! So much!”

Meagan steps back and grabs her hand, pulling her to the seat of honor. Once Teagan is sitting beside Kevin, her hand in his, Mr. Stansel steps up to the podium. As the cheers subside, he says, “Miss Michaels, on behalf of the staff and the children, I’d like to say it’s good to see you back. You have truly been missed.” The crowd roars again and Teagan lays her head over on Kevin’s shoulder, overwhelmed by the amount of love she’s feeling.

Once the kids calm down again, Mr. Stansel says, “Miss Michaels, you’ve been with us here for a long time. Some of our students have had you as their music teacher for their entire academic career.” As the kids cheer, Natalie slides her arm around Teagan’s shoulder and hugs her. Mr. Stansel continues. “What happened earlier this year…it affected us all deeply. We’ve had counselors helping us try to cope with the upheaval…and the tragedy. Today, you’re here and it gives us an opportunity to tell you…to show you…you have been a great influence…a great teacher…and a great role model. We appreciate your work and your dedication…and your sacrifice for your students. Jasmine Lee, Jason Pruitt and Liam O’Connel are alive today because of your quick thinking, selfless act. As a tribute to you, your kids have found a way to say thank you.” Turning, he motions to the side. “Mr. Phelps, please come up.”

Mr. Stansel sits as the kids cheer. A young man around 25 steps up to the podium. “Miss Michaels, you don’t know me. I’m Damon Phelps…I’m the interim music teacher here.” Teagan feels a pang of jealousy but hides it well as he continues. “Ever since I accepted the position, it’s been understood that if you decide to come back, the job is yours.” Teagan’s mouth drops. The young man smiles and goes on. “I can’t begin to replace you in these kids’ lives. They adore you and there isn’t a day that goes by that one of them doesn’t mention you and how much you mean to them.”

Teagan sniffles glancing over her shoulder at the faces of the children she’s taught. She turns her attention back to the man at the microphone, jealousy forgotten, as he says, “I’ve been working with them on something special. Something we were hoping we’d get a chance to do for you. If you’ll bear with us…”

Two of the janitors rush out to move the podium. Nick climbs down from the bleachers and kisses Teagan on the cheek. “You look beautiful Miss Michaels.”

As he jogs over to the sound system set up under one of the goals, Kevin leans closer to Teagan and whispers, “You do you know.”

She sighs. “What’s going on Kevin?”

He chuckles. “Just watch.”

She turns and watches as Mr. Phelps along with three other teachers quickly set up the risers used in choral concerts. Once everything is ready, he once again takes microphone in hand. “Miss Michaels, may I present the Kinder-bears.”

Teagan watches in amusement as all the little ones climb carefully off the bleachers and make their way to the risers. Once they are in place, Mr. Phelps says, “Miss Michaels, in your honor…”

As he walks to the side of the risers, he nods to Nick who starts the music. Teagan’s eyes fill up with tears when she hears her little ones begin to sing.

You are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy
When skies are gray
You’ll never know dear
How much I love you
Please don’t take my sunshine away

Her tears fall freely as they sing to her. It was the song she had introduced to the class at the beginning of the year. The one her students were working so hard to learn for Grandparents’ Day. Every word, every note is precious to Teagan. She leans forward, drinking in the sights and sounds of her youngest students paying tribute to her in the sweetest way they possibly can.

When the song is over, she joins the rest of the students in a rousing ovation. As the younger ones gingerly climb down from the risers, Jasmine, Liam and Jason come running up to her and take turns hugging her neck. Liam and Jason both are embarrassed because she’s crying and make a quick escape. Jasmine pulls back more slowly and whispers, “I miss you. Are you ok?”

Struggling to fight off another bout of tears, Teagan whispers, “I’m just fine Jasmine. I miss you too.”

As she runs off to join her class, Kevin leans closer. “Are you really ok Sweetie?”

She turns to meet his gaze, overcome with emotion. “I don’t know. But…I’m so glad you’re here.”

He leans closer and kisses her forehead. “I’m glad I’m here too. I love you Miss Michaels.”

She reaches up to touch his face. “I love you too.”



Chapter End Notes:
Let me know!! ~ D