- Text Size +
Dark Times In Still Waters
Chapter 42
By Dottie
Copyright 2014

Once the kindergarten class is seated again, Mr. Phelps steps up to the microphone. "And now, Miss Michaels, for your entertainment, I give you the First Grade Flamingos."

As the class moves to take their places on the show risers, Natalie leans closer to Teagan. "Each class voted on their names. They chose animals because you decorated the music room with animals this year."

Teagan smiles warmly at Natalie. "I think it's wonderful. Did...did you know they were going to do this?"

Natalie shakes her head. "Not until I got to work this morning. The consensus is I can't keep my big mouth shut."

As Teagan laughs, Brian leans up and says, "They're right, you can't."

Natalie smacks him on the knee. "I thought a boyfriend is supposed to be supportive."

He smiles, putting his arm around her shoulders loosely. "I'm supportive Baby. Just telling it like it is."

Teagan laughs at them, her heart feeling lighter knowing Natalie is happy and in love with Brian. She turns her attention back to the presentation, her eyes scanning the faces of her 6 year-olds. They look so proud standing and waiting for Nick to start their music.

Nick is a puzzle in itself to Teagan. Turning to Kevin, she whispers, "How long has this been in the works?"

He looks a little guilty as he says, "Can we talk about it after the show please?"

She nods, letting her eyes drift back to the children ready to perform. When the kids start singing, tears slowly trickle down her cheeks. She brushes them away as the tiny voices sing proudly for her.

Why are there so many songs about rainbows
and what's on the other side?
Rainbows are visions, but only illusions,
and rainbows have nothing to hide.
So we've been told and some choose to believe it.
I know they're wrong, wait and see.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers and me.

She's pressed tightly against Kevin as they finish the song. She claps enthusiastically as the kids smile and wave to her as they climb down the risers and return to their seats.

Penny is sitting close by and she moves to kneel in front of Teagan. "I do believe you're enjoying yourself."

Teagan smiles, taking the tissue Penny is holding out. She wipes her eyes and her nose as she says, "I am. Penny..."

Penny holds up her hand. "We'll talk about it after the show. Just...enjoy it."

As she returns to her seat, AJ leans over. "Teagan...it's good to see you smile. For a while there, I thought only Kevin could bring a smile to your face."

She turns her gaze to the man she loves. Kevin smiles at her lovingly as she replies “For a while there, only he could." She glances at AJ. "Of course you can too."

AJ beams. "Good answer."

Kevin slips his arm around her shoulders. "This is my girl AJ...find your own."

AJ laughs as Teagan shushes them both. Mr. Phelps smiles at Teagan and says, "And now, Miss Michaels, may I present the Second Grade Seals?"

As the second graders rush to take their places Teagan lays her head over on Kevin's shoulder. He rests his head on hers and whispers, "You ok?"

She only nods, watching expectantly as the second graders get into position. They all look toward Nick and he gives them a thumbs up, flipping a switch to start their music.

The lyrics to the song this class chose really strikes a nerve with Teagan. Even though she's smiling, encouraging the class and ensuring them she's enjoying it, she can't help but feel more than a little melancholy.

Sing, sing a song
Sing out loud, sing out strong
Sing of good things not bad
Sing of happy not sad

Sing, sing a song
Make it simple to last your whole life long
Don't worry that it's not good enough
For anyone else to hear
Just sing, sing a song

As they finish their song, Teagan claps enthusiastically. The students wave to her as they move back to their seats. Kevin leans in and kisses her cheek. "You ok Baby?"

She nods slowly, turning her gaze to his. "I think so."

He kisses her lips softly. The entire place erupts with applause. Teagan pulls back blushing hotly as Kevin looks on amused. Howie leans forward and says, "Looks like everyone's happy you're happy Miss Michaels." When she glances back at him, he asks seriously, "You are happy, aren't you?"

Reaching back, she squeezes his hand. "I am happy Howie. I really am."

She turns back as Mr. Phelps once again walks to the middle of the floor. "Miss Michaels, Today our Third grade Tigers have chosen to do a very special song for you. A song that speaks for all of us."

Teagan waits breathlessly for the music to start. When she recognizes the song, her entire body goes numb.

Come stop your cryin'
It will be alright
Just take my hand
Hold it tight
I will protect you
From all around you
I will be here
Don't you cry

For one so small
You seem so strong
My arms will hold you
Keep you safe and warm
This bond between us
Can't be broken
I will be here
Don't you cry

Kevin turn to watch her. He sees her struggling to smile for the class. He knows how hard it is for her to hear the song. He slides his arm around her waist and murmurs, "You're not alone Teagan."

She nods absentmindedly, watching the children put their hearts into their performance. Her eyes catch little Meagan's and she can see tears shining in the young one's eyes too.

When the song finishes, Meagan jumps down and runs over to Teagan, hugging her once again. Teagan squeezes her tightly. "That was beautiful Meagan. Just beautiful."

Meagan pulls back. "I...I hope you come back someday."

Teagan brushes her hair back and whispers, "I...I don't know yet Meagan. Even if I don't, you keep working hard, ok? Mr. Phelps seems to be an awesome teacher."

Meagan smiles and nods. "He is. But he's not you."

As she runs to join her class, Natalie scoots closer. "Teag, are you all right? Do you need a break?"

Teagan shakes her head, turning to her friend. "No, I'm all right. I...I just feel a little overwhelmed."

Natalie hugs her. "I know it's hard. But they need this as much as you do. We all do. You needed to see how much we all love you."

Teagan nods as she pulls back. "Thanks Nat. I did...I do need this."

Natalie sits back. "Here comes my crazy bunch."

Brian chuckles. "Yeah, and I got to pick their name."

Mr. Phelps clears his throat to get everyone's attention. "OK everyone, time for the Fourth Grade Foxes to entertain our honored guest, Miss Michaels."

Teagan turns to Brian. "Foxes?"

He chuckles. "Hell...heck yeah. They've got a foxy teacher."

Natalie blushes as Teagan giggles. She slaps her boyfriend's knee. "Hush!"

Teagan continues to giggle turning back to the show. Mr. Phelps holds up his hand. "Our Foxes also want to take this opportunity to let Miss Byron know that they will miss her while she's gone and she'll always have a place in their hearts."

Teagan turns to Natalie. "Gone?"

Natalie blushes and nods. "I...I'm going with Brian when they go on tour."

Teagan smiles brightly, hugging her friend quickly. "I'm so happy for you Nat."

Natalie takes the opportunity to whisper in Teagan's ear. "What about you? Are you going with Kevin?" Teagan pulls back and shrugs lightly. Natalie pats her shoulder. "Whatever you decide...I'm behind you."

Teagan turns back to the show, nodding thoughtfully. She watches as the kids continue to giggle and elbow each other until Mr. Phelps holds up his hands. They stop fidgeting and wait as Nick cues up their music.

Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight
Someone's thinking of me and loving me tonight

Somewhere out there someone's saying a prayer
That we'll find one another in that big somewhere out there

And even though I know how very far apart we are
It helps to think we might be wishing on the same bright star

And when the night wind starts to sing a lonesome lullaby
It helps to think we're sleeping underneath the same big sky

When they finish singing, Natalie and Teagan both have tears in their eyes. For all the love they found with Brian and Kevin, they know they've made a difference in the lives of their students and the song proves it. As the students leave the risers, Teagan and Natalie lean against each other and Natalie whispers, "This is harder than I thought it would be."

Teagan turns to look at Kevin. He smiles softly at her, leaning over to kiss her temple. She hasn't told Kevin her decision to go with him yet. Looking at him now, knowing he helped Penny and the kids set this up for her...to help her heal...going on tour with him is going to be easy. Facing the fans may be hard, but she knows now with Kevin she can handle just about anything. He's always going to be there for her...just the way he promised.
Chapter End Notes:
Let me know!! ~ D