- Text Size +
Dark Times In Still Waters
Chapter 43
By Dottie
Copyright 2014

Teagan turns her attention back to Mr. Phelps as he clears his throat. "Now it's time for our Fifth Grade Frogs. I hope you're enjoying your concert so far?" Teagan blushes and nods quickly. He smiles brightly. "Good! Good! I have to say, as dedicated as these kids have been choosing and learning their songs, I can see the impact you've had on their lives. You're a gifted teacher and I have to say I hope if I'm ever asked to leave this position, it's because you've come back."

Teagan sniffles, nodding gratefully as he turns to the fifth graders. He motions to Nick who starts the music. Teagan leans heavily on Kevin as the students begin to sing.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high
There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby
Somewhere over the rainbow
Skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true

Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me

Kevin kisses her temple and holds her tightly. Her whole body trembles but she manages to plaster a smile on her face for the children. She thinks about what the song is saying. Why can’t she be happy? The only thing stopping her is her own fears of what others will think of her. Isn’t it true that the only ones that should matter are those that love her? Everyone keeps telling her she can put all of this behind her. She reaches up and touches her throat. Can she really?

As the crowd cheers the fifth graders as they finish their song, Kevin notices Teagan rubbing her throat. He twists his body to face her and reaches up to pull her hand down. "What's wrong?"

She shakes her head slowly and whispers. "Nothing...I was...thinking."

He squeezes her hand. "About what?"

She sighs, feeling exhausted. "I'll tell you about it later. I promise."

He kisses her cheek, garnering more cheers from the crowd. "OK Sweetheart."

As the fifth graders take their seats, she murmurs, "Now what?"

Kevin smiles. "Well..."

Mr. Phelps turns the microphone over to Nick who's come out from behind the sound system. "OK, you all did a fantastic job, and from what I can see, Miss Michaels has enjoyed all your hard work." Teagan smiles at him and nods enthusiastically as the children cheer. Nick's smile widens. "Now, if it's ok with all of you, we have one more surprise for Miss Michaels."

As the kids cheer, Kevin kisses Teagan's cheek and whispers, "Love you Babe." He stands and moves toward Nick, followed closely by Brian, Howie and AJ, who stops and kisses Teagan on the cheek before jogging to catch up with his band mates.

Once they are all assembled in the middle of the basketball court, they huddle together momentarily before forming a semi circle around the microphone that Mr. Phelps had put on a stand in the center of the room. As they hum to find their chords, the room falls silent. Teagan can feel her heart pounding in her chest. Her eyes meet Kevin’s and he smiles sweetly as they start to sing one of her favorite Backstreet Boys songs…Drowning.

She can’t take her eyes off Kevin, even when the others are singing their parts. When he gets to his solo, hot tears slip down her cheek as every word he sings goes straight to her heart.

Go on and pull me under
Cover me with dreams, yeah
Love me mouth to mouth now
You know I can’t resist
‘Cause you’re the air that I breathe

She barely hears the rest of the song. By the end, everyone in the gym is singing along. As the last notes fade, the kids jump up cheering. Kevin steps away from the group as Teagan stands. He meets her half way and sweeps her into a giant hug. With her face buried in his neck near his ear she whispers, “I love you Kevin. I love you and I want to go with you…if you’ll let me.”


After hugging each Backstreet Boy in turn, thanking them for their support, Teagan spends the rest of the afternoon visiting each classroom and seeing her kids. They are all so happy to see her and every hug she gets soothes the heartache she feels not being able to teach them.

When she’s been to all the classrooms, she finds herself in the music room. Alone. The decorations she put up the week before school started are still hanging. She turns toward what was her office, seeing it just as she left it. Her jacket still hanging on her chair. She moves to the door and opens it slowly. It smells musty…unused. From behind her, Mr. Phelps says, “It’s still yours. I don’t really need an office.”

Teagan turns. “But you do. I…today was wonderful. You’ve done a wonderful job with the children. You…you belong here. I don’t. Not anymore.”

He shakes his head. “That’s not true. You’ve given these children a love of music like I’ve never seen. Everything they’ve done since I’ve been here has been for you. To hopefully bring you home.”

Teagan sighs, turning back to her office. “I can’t come back. It’s…this isn’t for me anymore.” She shuts the door and faces him once again. “This isn’t who I am anymore. I know everyone says I can still teach but…but I know I can’t. This school will always be a blessing and a curse for me.”

His eyes widen. “What are you going to do?”

She smiles sadly. “Start over. Find a new path with Kevin. But…I’ll be around to watch my kids grow. I…please keep showing them what a gift music is. Help Meagan continue to blossom. She has raw talent.”

He smiles back at her. “I will. I promise. I’m sorry you’re making this choice.”

She shakes her head. “Don’t be. I know in my heart I can never be the teacher I was. Maybe I’m not meant to be. Right now, all I know is being with Kevin is where I’m supposed to be. He’s my future.”

Mr. Phelps steps forward and holds out his hand. She takes it slowly. He smiles. “Miss Michaels, you have left your mark on your students. They will never forget you. Neither will I.”

She blushes. “Thank you so much. For everything.” She walks toward the door, stopping to turn back momentarily. “Is it ok if I visit sometime?”

He smiles brightly. “I’d be honored if you did. And the children will be thrilled.”

As Teagan walks away from the music room, heading for the office where Penny is waiting for her, she feels as if the weight of the world has been lifted from her shoulders. She knows she has a long way to go, but she’s faced her worst fears today…and she did so with the most important people in the world by her side. She can handle what lies ahead. She knows she can.

Chapter End Notes:
Let me know!! ~ D