- Text Size +
Dark Times in Still Waters
Chapter 6
By: Dottie
Copyright 2013

When AJ gets back to the party, he dances his way over to Brian, garnering cheers from the fans. "Hey Rok, you're up."

Brian smiles. "Good. I'll get Natalie."

AJ shakes his head. "I think you'd be better off on your own. She wants Natalie to enjoy the party."

Brian frowns. "I promised I'd take her to check on Teagan."

AJ shrugs. "I don't think that's a good idea. I'll talk to Natalie." After Brian leaves, AJ finds Natalie and swings her out onto the dance floor. "I thought you should know Teagan's doing just fine. Brian's gone to sit with her."

He can see disappointment on her face. "He said I could go too."

AJ stops moving and pulls her to the side. "I told him not to take you. Natalie, she wants you to have fun. If you go back, she'll feel like she's ruining your trip. Trust me, she's ok right now. Look, she even did my nails."

Natalie looks down and chuckles. "Did she explain the notes?"

He shakes his head. "No, she teased me about it. Tell me."

She laughs. "Not on your life. It's your puzzle Buddy, figure it out."

She trots off laughing. AJ shakes his head, smiling. Turning the crowd, he starts dancing and shouting, garnering cheers from the crowd.


Brian makes it to the door after passing a few dozen fans in the hallway. All of them wanting attention and he really tries to keep them happy. It takes him almost twenty minutes to get to the cabin.

When he knocks on the door, it opens rather slowly. Forcing his smile to meet his eyes, he whispers, "Hey Teagan."

She smiles tentatively, keeping her face turned away from him. "Hi Brian." She steps back. "I thought you guys had decided to give up and enjoy your party."

He shakes his head, leaning against the tiny table against the wall. "Not at all. Just stopping to chat along the way."

She sits on the edge of the bed, packing all the nail polish back in her makeup case. "Brian, I tried to tell Kevin, but he won't listen. I just want to be alone. I'm fine, so you can go back to the party and enjoy yourself."

He shakes his head. "No. Because, to be quite honest...I'm not just here to check up on you. I was kind of hoping..."

When he trails off, she looks up. "You were hoping what?"

He blushes. "I was kind of hoping...we could talk about...Natalie?"

For the first time in a long time genuine happiness fills Teagan's heart and she smiles. "What do you want to know?"

His smile makes Teagan happy. He folds his arms and chuckles. "Everything."

Teagan talks more in her time with Brian than she has in the last few weeks. He really is interested in Natalie and she knows for a fact that Natalie likes him.

When Brian finally decides it's time to leave, he decides to broach a delicate subject. "I think Natalie would enjoy it if you joined us."

The smile fades from her face. "Brian, I think you'd all have more fun if I skip it."

He shakes his head. "No, I don't think so, but I promised I wouldn't push anything and I won't."

Teagan smiles at him. "Thanks Brian."

He gives her a gentle hug and a kiss on the cheek. "It's nice getting to know you. And Natalie."

She nods. "Thanks for making sure she forgets about me for a while."

He shakes his head. "She doesn't forget. She's just happy to know you're not..."

His voice trails off and they both blush. "I don't think I really wanted to die, Brian. It's just…not easy...sometimes."


Just a couple minutes after he leaves, the door opens and Natalie walks in. "Oh my God Nick is SO clumsy!"

Teagan gets a good look at Natalie and fights not to giggle. Her nice, white romper has a great big wet spot on it. "What happened?"

She rolls her eyes. "Well, he was trying to dance and tripped over a stuffed animal somebody threw up on the deck and he knocked Howie's drink out of his hand and onto me."

Teagan closes her eyes, but can't stop snickering. "I'm...sorry...Nat."

She opens her eyes to find Natalie staring at her grinning. "You know you're not. But I'm glad you said it. How's your evening been?"

Teagan shrugs lightly. "It's ok. But they really don't have to come and sit with me. Nat, I'm ok. I think it helps to just...sit here. Write in my journal and try to process everything."

Natalie moves closer. "Teag, I'm not sorry about what I did today. You really scared me. I didn't mean to scare them too...I was just so mad."

Teagan hugs her. "Stop being mad and enjoy yourself." After a brief pause, she whispers, "Brian sure seems to enjoy getting to know you."

Natalie's eyes bulge. "What? What did he say?"

Teagan laughs, sitting on the bed and drawing her knees up to her chest. "He asked an awful lot of questions about you."

Natalie squeals. "WHAT?"

Teagan laughs. "You better get back up there."

Natalie dances around the room before snatching a sundress from her suitcase and shaking it out. As she's changing, she says, "I can't believe you did AJ's nails."

Teagan shrugs, hugging a pillow. "Me either. But it was fun."

Natalie laughs as she brushes out her hair. "He's curious as hell about the notes."

Teagan giggles. "Did you tell him?"

Natalie shakes her head. "Nope, I knew you wouldn't want me too." Natalie jumps on the bed beside Teagan and looks at her closely. "You sure you're ok?"

Teagan nods. "Nat, I'm sorry about falling apart and scaring you. I don't want to mess up your cruise. I probably should have stayed behind."

Natalie elbows her friend gently. "If you had stayed, I would have too."

Teagan elbows her back. "Get out of here and have fun with Brian."

Natalie squeals. "I won't be out too late."

Teagan rolls her eyes. "Would you just go!"

After she leaves, Teagan sighs. She's happy that Natalie is enjoying herself in spite of how things have gone so far.

As she's pondering the events of the day, someone knocks. Thinking it's gotta be Nick, she gets really nervous. Taking a deep breath she stands and heads for the door. When she opens it, she finds a group of young women in the hallway. Averting her gaze, she asks cautiously, "May I help you?"

One of the girls stammers, "Umm, well, kind of. You see...OK, I'm just gonna say it. I'm sorry that you're feelings were hurt. Really. I didn't see you come on board, but we all know what happened and it was wrong."

Teagan nods, barely glancing up. "Thank you for the apology, but it's not necessary."

The girl speaking for the group says, "It is. And everyone feels really bad about it. But...well...we paid a lot for these tickets and now the guys are so distracted by you..."

Teagan feels her face heat up in embarrassment. "I told them I'm fine and not to worry. I just want to be left alone. Then everyone can enjoy themselves."

The girl smiles broadly. "Look, we don't want to sound mean but..."

Teagan shakes her head. "It's ok. Believe me, I understand."

The girls all heave a collective sigh of relief. "Thanks a million!"

As they run off, Teagan thinks about why they came. They weren't mean, they didn't stare. They just want their time too. And they should have it. But how does she tell the guys to leave her alone without seeming ungrateful for their thoughtfulness?


She’s still pondering her problem when there’s a fast knock at the door before it opens and Nick comes barging in. “Hey, sorry, but I was being followed.”

Teagan’s heart races at the sight of him. “Umm, followed by whom?”

He lifts his gaze to lock eyes with hers and it’s like they both forget how to breathe. Finally, he clears his throat. “Umm, a group of South American girls. They are a little…over eager. I’ve spent the past half hour entertaining them, but they don’t seem to want to share.”

In her mind, she’s thinking she doesn’t blame them. Instead of voicing that opinion, she whispers, “You know, I’m ok. You can go back…”

He shakes his head, coming in and making himself at home. “Oh no you don’t. I need a break. I’m getting too old for this shit.”

Teagan can’t suppress a chuckle. “Nick, you’re far from old.”

He reaches out and grabs her hand, pulling her down beside him. “OK, so I’m not old. But I do need a break. And I wanted to meet you. Hi, by the way. I’m Nick.”

She just shakes her head, smiling at his goofiness. “Yes I know, Nick. I’m Teagan.”

He sees her trying to hide her face from him. But he can’t help the urge he has to see her eyes. He takes her chin and turns her gaze to his, getting lost in the deep blue hue. “It’s very nice to meet you Teagan.”

She can’t believe how intoxicating he is up close. His eyes, his smile…even the sincerity of his voice is like a caress. But her insecurity is stronger than the appeal of his baby blues. “Umm, Nick can I talk to you about something?”

He nods quickly. “Sure. Anything.”

Taking a deep breath, she says in a rush. “Please don’t think I’m being ungrateful, but I really wish you guys would stop coming here so much.”

He tries to control the disappointment on his face. “You want me to go?”

She nods…then shakes her head. “No, I don’t mean. Ugh, let me tell you the whole story, ok?”

He nods. “OK. As long as you’re not kicking me out now. My feet hurt.”

She looks down amazed as he kicks off his shoes and stretches out his legs. Shaking her head from the distraction of his body, she says, “After Brian left a few fans came by.”

He tenses up before putting his arm around her shoulder. “Teagan, I’m sorry if…

She shakes her head, more than a bit unnerved by his closeness. “No, they were fine. I just…Nick, they paid a lot of money to come on this cruise and because I had a meltdown, they are missing out on what it’s all about. Getting a chance to meet you guys. You being here isn’t fair to them. I’m perfectly fine and I’m more than content to spend some time alone. You guys have to focus on them and not me.”

He leans closer to her and whispers softly, “Teagan, I can do both.”

She sighs, the feel of his breath on her neck making her shiver. “Nick, I’m not saying what you guys are doing doesn’t mean a lot to me, because it does. I just…they deserve better than half your attention. Does that make sense?”

He puts his forehead against her temple. “What about you Teagan? What do you think you deserve?”

She sighs, finding it easy to answer honestly. “Time to work through this on my own. Time to figure out what’s next. Time to…time to heal, I guess.”

He leans in and kisses her softly. “You do deserve that. But you scared us today. Can you blame us for worrying?”

She shakes her head, fighting the urge to touch her face where his lips had been. “No, and I’m sorry about that.”

He slides closer, pressing against her. “I’ll tell you what. We’ll give you the space you’re looking for…but don’t stay shut up in this cabin. Get out and at least enjoy the boat. OK? Shopping, eating…just don’t isolate. It’s not good for you or us.”

She thinks about what he says. “I’ll try Nick. If you promise none of you will come back to our cabin.”

He shakes his head. “Won’t promise that. No way. But...I will promise this. When we’ve got stuff going on, we’ll stay away. On our off time, and believe me, there’s not much, we might pop in to say hi. Or maybe take you to lunch. Deal?”

She thinks about what he’s saying. It sounds reasonable. “I guess that’s ok. I just don’t want the others to be ignored because of me. I’ve caused enough trouble.”

He slides his fingers under her chin and brings her face around to his. “You haven’t caused trouble Teagan. I promise.” He gently kisses her and she almost faints. When they part, he smiles. “I’ll head back and let the fellas know what’s going on. You sure you’re ok?”

She licks her lips, lost in his gaze. “I’m sure…umm…thanks Nick.”

He smiles, giving her a gentle hug. “I’ll be seeing you soon.” He slides off the bed, slipping on his shoes. Turning to face her, he gives her a jaunty salute and a smirk. “See you later, Blue Eyes.”

After he leaves, her fingers cover her lips in confusion. He did just kiss her…and it was sweet…but why is it all she could think of is Kevin?

Chapter End Notes:
Sorry it took so long to post again. Hellish two days at work. Anyone need a job? My store is hiring! LOL

Let me know what you think!! :) ~ D