- Text Size +
Dark Times in Still Waters
Chapter 7
By Dottie
Copyright 2013

When Nick comes back to the party, Kevin corners him. "Well?"

Nick wants to tease but he knows that at this point, Kevin is not in the mood for it. "She's fine. I made a deal with her and YOU my friend, had better stick to it."

Kevin isn't amused. "What do you mean you made a deal with her?"

Nick gets straight to the point. "Some of the friendlier fans paid her a visit and asked her to ask us to pay more attention to them." He sees Kevin starting to steam up and he stops him. "For real, they were nice about it. But they are right. They all paid a lot of money for this. Teagan doesn't need to feel any more guilt on this trip. I told her we'd only visit on our off time and she agreed to venture out during quiet moments and not stay cooped up in her cabin."

Kevin thinks about Nick's bargain with Teagan and he likes it. "She really agreed?"

Nick nods, reaching for a bottle of water. "She did. So put her out of your head and get into this cruise. We're here for fun. Let's have it."

Kevin nods, relieved at the turn of events. Nick sure has grown up and matured through the years. He found a way to do what no one else has been able to do. His smile is strained though. He really felt an instant connection to Teagan. But, as they found out early on, she always liked Nick.


In the wee hours of the morning, the guys are turned loose for a few hours sleep. Kevin starts toward his cabin, but makes a short detour. He knocks softly on the door, hoping she's still awake. Natalie answers quickly. "Is everything ok, Kevin?"

He nods. "Sure. I just wanted to check on her before I go to bed. Nick made a promise for us. And I intend to keep it."

She smiles. "She just went to bed. She's pretty wiped out. Come on in, I'm going to take a quick shower before I collapse."

She steps into the bathroom as Kevin slips in quietly. He sees Teagan lying quietly, curled up on her side sleeping peacefully. She does look content and that makes him happy. He kneels by her bed, brushing her hair back gently. "Sweet Teagan, you really are stronger than you know." Teagan hears every word he says and stays perfectly still. She smells his cologne. She feels the gentle touch of his fingers as he strokes her cheek. "Sweet dreams, Darling."

She didn't expect his lips to touch her face. He kisses her cheek, close to her lips. She jumps a little, her eyes slowly opening to find herself staring into his soft, green eyes. He smiles softly. "I'm sorry I woke you up."

She whispers, "It's ok." As he continues to stare into her eyes, she whispers, "Kevin..."

He leans closer, placing his lips gently on hers. He kisses her once...then again...and one last time, softly. When he pulls back, he whispers, "Good night, Teagan. Sleep well."


After he leaves, Teagan sits up as Natalie comes out of the bathroom. "Teag, what's wrong? I thought you were sleeping."

Teagan reaches up, touching her lips shakily. "He...he kissed me Nat."

Natalie's mouth drops open. "He WHAT?"

Teagan nods, still stunned. "He kissed me."

The girls stare at each other. Natalie finally breaks the silence. "Well how was it?"

Teagan can't stifle a giggle. "It was...really nice."

Natalie laughs with her. "Well, well, what about Nick?"

Teagan blushes. "Kevin kisses better."

Natalie fairly screams. "Oh my God, Nick kissed you too?"

Teagan sits back. "They just feel sorry for me."

Natalie shakes her head. "Nick may feel sorry for you. Hot as he is, that boy is all wrong for you. But he has a heart of gold. Now Kevin? He genuinely cares about you."

Teagan trembles. "Nat, I just need space."

Natalie nods. "And you'll get it. Nick made you a promise and I really think the other guys will follow through. Just...don't listen to the fans ok?"

Teagan nods. "I'll try. Now, let's get some sleep. You've got a big day tomorrow. Half Moon Cay. With Brian, no less."

Natalie blushes hotly. "Maybe."

Teagan hugs her friend. "Definitely. And I'm happy for you. Good night Nat."

Natalie grabs her friend’s arms and squeezes them. "You scared me Teag. Don't do it again."

Teagan hugs her. "I'm sorry Nat."


When Teagan wakes up, the sun is high in the sky. She checks the time; almost noon. Sitting up, she stretches, amazed by the quietness on the ship. Looking out the window, she sees the island off in the distance. And the beach party in full swing.

Sliding her legs over the edge of the bed, she figures now is a good time to make good on her side of the bargain. After a quick shower, she dresses in capris and a sleeveless blouse, tying a bright colored scarf around her neck. Once again styling her hair to fall across her scarred cheek, she carefully ventures out into the hallway.

She explores the ship at her leisure, finding ways to avoid large groups of people. The dining room is almost deserted, so she has a leisurely lunch. As she's finishing a decadent chocolate mousse, the dining room starts to fill.

She stands and heads to the door, bumping into a few girls. One of them recognizes her and mutters venomously, "You must be really disappointed the guys are paying more attention to us now."

Teagan shakes her head. "On the contrary, I'm glad they are."

The girl snorts. "Yeah right. The only reason you came on this cruise is to get sympathy from them. If you're so distressed about the way you look, why did you bother coming?"

Teagan is angry and hurt by her rudeness. "I didn't come to meet them at all. I'd prefer to never have met them. I'm here because I owed it to a friend. Nothing more."

As she stalks away, the girl snaps back, "You think we believe that? You got them kissing your ass at every turn. And over what? Your fucked up face? What happened to you anyway?"

Teagan whirls and stalks back to the group. "You want to know what happened? You really want to know what happened? Two months ago a man came into my school with a gun and opened fire! Are you happy now? Does it make you happy to know that instead of dying, I get to live the rest of my life like THIS?"

Teagan turns and runs. A few corridors away from the dining room, she bumps into a steward carrying a tray of glasses. When he sees how upset she is, he asks urgently, "Are you ok, Miss?"

She sighs shakily. "Is there somewhere I can go that's quiet?"

He nods. "The Orchid Lounge is closed on this cruise for renovations. You could probably go there. Or I can escort you to your cabin?"

She shakes her head, not wanting to see Natalie when she's this upset. "No, I just need some space from everyone. Can I please go to the lounge? I won't bother anything."

He nods. "I don't think there's anything you can bother. It's mostly empty. I'll let my supervisor know, but I don't think there will be a problem."

She nods gratefully. "Thank you so much."


Once she's in the lounge she slides into a corner booth and bows her head. She's so tired of dealing with all this, she can't even cry. So many times she's regretted coming on this ship. Now is worse than most, because she lost her temper.

She sits up completely exhausted from the stress she's been under. Looking around, she sees a piano partially covered by a drop cloth. Her heart swells. Music always helped her gain perspective. Moving slowly, she walks over to the piano and pulls the cover to the floor. She slips onto the bench and lets her fingers trail lightly over the keys.

The sweet tinkling sound calms her frayed nerves. Testing the tuning, she plays scales, her mind drifting. She spends the better part of the afternoon just playing random songs. Mostly moody, classical pieces that fit her state of mind.

Sadness seems to be her constant companion. Without conscious thought, she starts playing songs from the last musical theater she did back home. The songs from Wicked. She’s completely unaware that she’s been found. By Nick Carter no less.

He stands mesmerized by her talent. He instantly recognizes the song; I’m Not That Girl. He thinks back to the first time he saw Wicked. He had gone to New York to watch Kevin perform on stage, but his managers had gotten him tickets to the wrong show. Kevin even went with him to see Wicked, and Nick was instantly hooked by the beauty of the production. Yes, Nick Carter is a fan of musical theater. Go figure.

He stands quietly in the doorway, watching Teagan’s face. He can tell she is emotionally connected to the music. And maybe not so much because of the beauty of it but the meaning behind the song. The lyrics mostly elude him…all but one line; “Don’t wish, don’t start. Wishing only wounds the heart. I wasn’t born for the rose and the pearl. There’s a girl I know; He loves her so. I’m not that girl…” Like the Wicked Witch, Teagan must now deal with being different. And being ridiculed because of it. No wonder she’s so depressed. Life is just not fair.

He hears a commotion behind him and closes the door before she’s disturbed. Turning, he sees Kevin and Brian barreling down the hallway, with Natalie in tow. He holds up his hand, silencing them, as he opens the door once more to listen.

They all crowd around him, trying to figure out what he’s discovered. When Natalie sees Teagan at the piano, her heart aches for her friend. When she hears the song she’s playing, tears fall from her eyes. Brian’s arms slide around her and she’s grateful he’s there. It’s so hard seeing Teagan this way. Playing the piano but not singing. She loved this play when they did it over the summer. Teagan was amazing. Now…she’ll never sing again and Natalie almost can’t stand the unfairness of it all.




Chapter End Notes:
Still like it? I'd love to know! ~ D