- Text Size +
Dark Skies in Still Waters
Chapter 8
By Dottie
Copyright 2013

Kevin, Brian, Nick and Natalie move quietly into the lounge, sitting at the back so they don't disturb Teagan. She finishes one song, moving fluidly into another. Natalie glances at Kevin, seeing he's completely absorbed in Teagan's performance. She looks at Nick and he seems just as transfixed. When her eyes get to Brian, she sees he's watching her. He smiles faintly, reaching out to squeeze her hand.

Natalie turns back to Teagan, noticing the slump of her shoulders. Her heart breaks for her friend. The song she's playing ends and Teagan starts playing For Good. Natalie knows the song well. She knows how much it means to Teagan. She pushes away from the table to walk silently to the piano. She sits by Teagan on the bench, her tears flowing as freely as Teagan's. She glances back at the boys, seeing they are all moved to tears.

She turns her attention back to Teagan as the notes start to fade. Sobs consume her and Natalie wraps her arms around her friend. "Teag, what can I do?"

Teagan sniffles, shaking her head. She's so overcome, she can't even speak. Nick leans closer to Brian and Kevin. "We should go."

Kevin shakes his head. "You go. I want to make sure she's ok."

Brian grabs his cousin's arm. "Kevin, we promised."

Kevin shrugs his hand off. "We're not working now."

Nick and Brian leave slowly. Once in the hallway, Nick says, "Brian what's with Kevin? He doesn't even know her."

Brian shakes his head. "I don't know, Nick. I just...I don't know."


Inside the lounge, Kevin walks slowly to the piano. Natalie sees him...sees the worry on his face. She kisses Teagan's forehead and whispers, "Teagan, do you trust me?" Teagan nods slowly. Natalie lowers her voice and whispers, "Someone wants to talk to you. I'll wait for you in our room, ok?"

Teagan knows instantly that it's Kevin. She keeps her head lowered and her eyes closed as Natalie leaves and Kevin takes her place on the piano bench. Kevin doesn't say a word; he just starts playing the piano. She watches his hands as the melody sinks into her heart. You Are So Beautiful.

Teagan sighs deeply. As much as she wants to scream in frustration at his choice, in her heart she believes that he means it. She lets her body sag against his and rests her head on his shoulder, tears silently falling. He turns to kiss the top of her head, continuing to play.

When the song ends, he lays his head against Teagan's, putting his hands on his thighs. She slowly raises her hands and places them on the keys, surprising Kevin when she starts playing Show 'Em (What You're Made Of). He smiles, his hands joining hers and they play in tandem.

When the song is over, he turns his head to look at her. She's avoiding his gaze, but he can see the tracks of her tears drying on her face. He leans closer and whispers, "Sweetheart?"

She shakes her head. "I don't want to talk about it, Kevin. I'll be ok."

He cups her cheek with his hand. "I'm not going to make you talk about it Teagan. Not until you're ready. I just wanted to say...you play beautifully."

She brings her eyes up to his. "So do you."

He smiles, dipping his head. Their lips meet again, lingering on each other. When they part, he whispers, "I'd like to play with you again."

She manages a weak smile. "Not today."

He nods, sliding his arm around her shoulders. "No, not today. But soon?"

She nods tiredly. "Sure." After a quiet moment, she whispers, "Thanks."

He seems genuinely puzzled. "For what?"

She sits up. "For not asking."

He frowns. "Teagan, if someone hurts you I want you to tell me, ok?"

She shakes her head. "I wasn't hurt. But...I don't want to talk about it."

He nods. "Fair enough. But if I find out..."

She shakes her head. "You won't. It's over." He stares into her eyes until she finally looks away. "I better go see Nat."

He cups her face again, forcing her eyes to his. He brushes her cheek with his thumb. "I want to kiss you again, Teagan."

She chews on her lip, waiting. He leans closer. She feels his breath. His mustache lightly brushes her skin. She sighs just as he captures her lips. He sucks her lower lip slowly between his, stroking it lightly with the tip of his tongue. They part slowly and she licks her lips, staring into his eyes. No words are necessary.


When Teagan gets back to her cabin, Natalie is waiting. She sits on her bed, staring off into space. Natalie breaks the silence. “Teagan, what happened?” Teagan just shrugs. “Come on, it’s me. Talk to me.”

Teagan closes her eyes. “These…people. Natalie how can there be so much cruelty in this world?”

Natalie wants to scream in frustration. “What did they say to you?”

Teagan shakes her head. “It’s not important. Natalie, you have to tell them…the Backstreet Boys…not to come back here anymore. They need to focus on this cruise and forget about me.”

Natalie sighs. “So that’s it. Someone didn’t get a personal ‘hello’ and it’s all your fault? That’s a load of bullshit and you know it.”

Teagan shakes her head. “But it’s not. Not really. I just…I wanna finish this cruise and go back to what’s left of my life. S-s-start ov-er.”

She hiccups over the last words and Natalie rushes to her side. “What do you mean start over? Teagan, what happened?”

Teagan lies down, curling into a ball. “Before we left Miami…I…Nat they hired a new music teacher.”

Natalie’s mouth drops. “What? How do you know? What are you talking about?”

Teagan grips her pillow. “I got an email from Mr. Stansel. Our illustrious principal couldn’t even tell me to my FACE!”

Natalie is filled with anger and sadness. “He sent you a fucking EMAIL? He fired you??”

Teagan shakes her head. “Not in so many words. He said they had hired a new music teacher to give me a chance…to explore my options.”

Natalie jumps to her feet and paces. “What a fucking PRICK!”

Teagan closes her eyes. “Nat, it doesn’t really matter. I can’t teach this way. I can’t sing. Maybe it is time for me to find something new instead of scaring my kids.”

Her last words break off with a sob. Natalie moves to the bed and sits. “Teagan, for the love of God, those kids are not afraid of you! They are sad. So sad because YOU are sad right now. They never gave up on you and neither have I. So what if you can’t sing the notes right now? Or ever. You can STILL teach it because it’s in your blood.” Teagan cries quietly into her pillow. Natalie rubs her back. “What can I do?”

Teagan takes a deep shaky breath. “Seriously? Just tell the guys to stop coming here. I love how sweet they are, but I just can’t…”

Natalie nods. “I’ll tell Brian at the Halloween party.” Broaching the subject cautiously, she says, “Umm, Teag?” When Teagan looks at her, she whispers, “Will you come to the party?” Before her friend can get all upset again, she rushes on. “I have the perfect costume. No one will see your face…you can just enjoy the music and the fun. Please? Please say yes. If I can tell them you’re coming they won’t worry as much. Please Teagan, just for a little while?”

Teagan really wants to go. Not so much to be around the fans, but to watch the guys do what they do best. And she’s right, if the guys know she’s coming they will leave her alone and the fans will be happy. She pushes herself up and says, “What kind of costume do you have?”


An hour later, Teagan is staring at herself in the mirror stunned by the transformation. Initially, she and Nat were going to be gypsy girls. But, the shooting changed that so Natalie found the perfect costume to hide Teagan’s scars and it’s as sexy as the gypsy girl getup.

Natalie has transformed Teagan into an Arabian princess. She has on a short black dress with ties on each side and silver coins edging the bottom. The long, flowing sleeves are trimmed with a wide silver ribbon, the same as the low cut neck. With her hair up on her head, the veil that covers it and wraps around her face conceals her identity as well as her scars. A crown of coins lies across her forehead. The only part of her face showing is her eyes. She turns to Natalie. “This is…Natalie, how did you find this?”

Natalie, dressed in her short, multi-colored gypsy skirt and peasant blouse with a brown half-vest just laughs. “It was a fluke really. I was buying my shoes and saw an ad for a costume store. I didn’t exactly see this costume, but I saw one that gave me the idea. You look gorgeous.”

Looking down at her bare feet, she mutters, “Speaking of shoes…”

Natalie giggles. “I got you covered.” She hands Teagan a pair sparkling, low heeled sandals that have jewels running up her foot to her ankle.

After slipping on her own brown, strappy heels, she ties a brightly colored scarf around her head and slips a dozen bangle bracelets onto her wrist. Striking a pose for Teagan, she smiles brightly. “Well?”

Teagan claps her hands. “You look gorgeous!”

Natalie laughs and pulls her friend into a huge hug. “Listen, no matter what, tonight forget work…forget everything. Focus on fun. We’ll figure everything else out when we get home.”

Teagan nods, fighting back tears. “Thanks Nat. For always being here.”

Natalie curtsies deeply. “For you, my Princess, anything.”

Teagan can’t stop the giggles that erupt. Noise outside the door gives her pause. She chews on her lip before saying, “Nat, I’m not sure I can do this.”

Natalie links her arm with Teagan’s. “Sure you can. You’re a princess!” When Teagan sighs shakily, Natalie gets serious. “Teagan you don’t have to be afraid. No one will see the scars. You’ll just be one of the fans.”

Teagan smiles sadly under her veil. “Why can’t I be one of the fans without hiding my face?”

Natalie has no answer. She hugs her friend and whispers, “You don’t have to stay long. Just come see how fun it is, ok?”

Teagan nods. She owes it to Nat. She owes it to the Backstreet Boys. She owes it to herself.


Chapter End Notes:
Still liking it? ~ D