- Text Size +

A Romantic Surprise

Chapter 3

By Rachel

2014

 

Trying to sleep in an airport was not an easy task.  AJ had gotten us coffee and I was wired. He was currently, snoring softly. I leaned against him and he wrapped his arm around me.

 

“I thought you were asleep.” I whispered softly. Everyone around us was sleeping.

 

“Just napping. As soon as I felt your body against mine, I woke up.” He nuzzled against me. I could feel his beard tickle my cheek.

 

"Go back to sleep." I molded myself against his body. A contented sigh fell out of my mouth.

 

"I'm not tired. Aspen, I'm sorry that our plans got ruined." He pressed a kiss to my head. "I wanted to spend the week reliving our honeymoon."

 

My face felt flushed thinking about what happened on that island. "What part do you want to relive?" I asked curiously.

 

AJ played with a strand of my hair. "All of it. My favorite part was our private picnic on the beach. You've been so tense lately. I wish that you could relax a bit now and again."

 

I know I should be offended by AJ's comment, but I'm not. He's being honest. Up until I was about nine I was as carefree as my sisters. Since then, I become serious to the point that I didn't let guard down often. Our honeymoon was an exception. 

 

"Baby, I didn't say that to hurt your feelings. I just..."

 

I interrupted. "You didn't. I know that I'm not always the easiest to get along with. Then when any stress is added, I become a bear. It's not easy for me to share my feelings. I appreciate that you put up with me." I wiped a tear from my eye.

 

AJ sat up forcing me up, too. I'm afraid to look into his brown eyes. He'll see that my strength is just a facade. I'm not as strong as people think I am. 

 

My husband reached out and took my hand. Hesitantly, I looked up at him giving him a slight smile. "I don't put up with you. I love you Aspen! Everything about you. No woman can measure up to you." He looked deep into my eyes. I could feel my walls crumbling. "It's just that I worry about you. All I want is for you to be happy."

 

“I am happy. My life became complete when you walked into it.” I was getting all sappy. Normally I wasn’t that type of woman. Sure, I cared deeply about everything, but I didn’t always share the emotions I was feeling. My sisters were one of the few people that got to see it. It was still a work in progress when it came to AJ.

 

“I still remember that day.” His eyes shined with mischief. “Cream cheese frosting is still my favorite.”

 

I giggled. “I still can’t believe that you licked me.”

 

“You were looking so beautiful that day. I wanted to do more than just lick you.” AJ pulled me onto his lap.

 

“You’re such a liar.” I swatted his chest. “My hair was a mess. Damn, Lilly called me a human cupcake. There was no way you thought I was beautiful.”

 

“Honestly, seeing you all natural, doing what you love is a turn on. It’s the sexier than seeing you all dolled up.”

 

“Good. For your next awards, I’m going to go in my grubbiest pair of sweats, with no makeup and a messy ponytail.” I quipped. My husband was being very silly tonight. I was enjoying every minute of it.

 

“You can wear whatever you want.” He kissed my nose. “Now you better get some rest, dear wife.  As soon as we get a hotel room, I plan on keeping you very busy.”

 

I settled into my husband, leaning my head on his shoulder. “I love you, Sweetcheeks.”

 

“Love ya back, babe.”

 

 

 

A few hours later, I woke up to AJ snoring in my ear. Plus my neck was starting to get sore from lying on top of my husband. Gently, I removed myself from his body.  I walked over to the window to check on the weather. 

 

The snow had stopped, but the runway was covered in snow. I assumed most flights would still be cancelled. Hopefully we would be able to find a hotel and a taxi that could transport us into the city.

 

Suddenly, I felt a pair of strong arms wrap around me. I nearly jumped out of my skin, until I realized it was AJ. I leaned back into his body; instantly his lips were on my neck.

 

“What are you doing?” I exhaled. I wasn’t one for public displays of affection, but I decided to live in the moment.

 

“Loving my gorgeous wife.” He nipped at my neck, as his hands moved down to my hips. The touch of his mouth on my earlobe sent shivers through my body. “I think we should go into the bathroom and relive the moment when we officially got engaged.”

 

I could feel the blush creeping up my body. I still couldn’t believe what happened in the bathroom of that restaurant. There was no way I was going to do that in an airport restroom.  “You’re as bad as Jade.”

 

“Now you got me curious.” He raised an eyebrow at me, as we went back to our seats. “How the hell am I like your sister?”

 

I chuckled at his question. “You act like that’s a bad thing.” I gave him a little shove. “You both have a crush on Nick.”

 

His eyes grew and I started laughing hysterically. I looked away to make myself stop. Every time I looked at AJ, I would start to giggle. He had an amused look on his face.

 

“It’s a good thing I love you. Now what’s the real reason I’m like your sister.”

 

“Before I hung up on her last night, she told me to have sex in the bathroom.”  I leaned back in my chair to get comfortable.

 

AJ moved toward the edge of his seat. “I think your sister has the right idea, but not in one of these bathrooms. They are too public. I’m going to find us a perfect bathroom to have sex in this weekend. We are going to make a new memory this weekend.”

 

My mouth formed a huge O. I knew he was being serious. What did I get myself into? I knew I shouldn’t have opened my mouth.

 

“Aspen, I’m really enjoying this trip. It’s nice seeing you relaxed and having fun. You’re carefree.” My husband gave me the biggest smile. “McDonald’s just opened. Let’s get some breakfast.”