- Text Size +

A Romantic Surprise

Chapter 4

By Rachel

2014

 

After we finished eating breakfast, I realized that we hadn’t cancelled our trip. AJ was busy taking pictures of himself for Twitter and Instagram. I waited until he was done to ask him about it.

 

“AJ, did you call to cancel trip? You know were not going to make it.” I asked while playing with a napkin.

 

“Not yet. It’s still too early to call.” He replied casually. It irked me that he was so relaxed about the whole thing. We were total opposites in this aspect. I worried about everything, and AJ didn’t.

 

“Will you be able to get refunded for the trip?” I questioned.

 

He chuckled lightly. “Don’t worry about it.” He took my hand. “Let’s go find a corner and be romantic.”

 

I removed my hand from his. I wasn’t finished with this conversation. “This trip had to have cost a lot of money. We should definitely make sure that we are able to get some of it back.”

 

“Relax, Aspen. You don’t need to worry about everything.” He sighed. “I have it all taken care of. It’s not like you need to worry about money.”

 

I looked away from my husband. I hated when he made me feel like I’m not part of the relationship. Sure, he planned this trip and I appreciated it. I hated the fact that he though it was okay to throw away money because we had more than enough.

 

“Aspen, look at me” He waited until I was looking at him to continue to speak. “Sweetheart, this trip is for you to relax. I don’t want you to worry about anything. You worry about everything. Just forget about it all.”

 

“It’s not in my nature.” I whispered while staring at the table. Sometimes it felt like my husband didn’t understand me. We were so different in so many ways. At times I wondered how our marriage has lasted this long.

 

“I know, dear. You are the only Backstreet wife I know that still uses coupons.” He chuckled lightly.

 

I glared at my husband. He thought his comment was funny. Unfortunately, it was another dig on my personality. I tried my best to make sure my family had what they needed. It was sad when wasn’t appreciated.

 

“Well excuse the hell out of me. Throw your money away. Spend it on frivolous things and then in five years we can live on the street. Then you can do late night infomercials to pay off your debt.”

 

“Why do you have to be such a bitch?”  AJ snarled at me. He had to add fuel to the fire with his comment.

 

“I’ve been like this since before you married me. If you didn’t like who I was then, you shouldn’t have married me.” I slid from my seat and walked away.

 

I made my way to the restroom, since AJ couldn’t follow me inside. I leaned against the wall and took a few deep breaths. I caught my reflection in the mirror.

 

Did I really look this old? What did AJ see in me? It couldn’t be my looks. There were plenty of beautiful women at his beck and call. Apparently it wasn’t my personality. Nothing I did was right in my husband’s eyes. AJ and I were polar opposites. We either got along or fought.

 

Our relationship was different from my sisters’ and their husbands. They were full of passion and romance.  AJ and I were more like friends or roommates most of the time. We didn’t seem to have the spark that other couples had.  Even when we attempted to ignite that passion, it always went wrong.

 

“Excuse me, miss. Are you Aspen?” An older woman asked.

 

“That’s me.” I replied.

 

 Your husband wanted me to check on you. Are you okay?”  She inquired

 

“I’m fine. Thanks.” I rushed out of the bathroom feeling embarrassed.  AJ was standing near the restrooms with our luggage. I loved him more than life itself, but was that enough?

 

Before I walked toward my husband, I pushed my feelings aside. Our trip would be ruined. It was easier at times to pretend they didn’t exist. I had been doing it for years and no one was the wiser. AJ hadn’t notice before, he wouldn’t notice now.

 

“Aspen, I’m sorry.” He wrapped himself around me.

 

“It’s okay.” I lied. “I shouldn’t be so touchy.  I know I need to relax. Let’s start over.”

 

Before I know what’s happening, AJ’s lips were on mine. This wasn’t a simple peck on the lips. It’s downright hot. His tongue slid between my lips. I pushed my body against his. I needed to feel him. Our tongues were slowly teasing each other. AJ’s hands moved underneath my sweater. He rubbed my back sensuously. I moaned into his mouth. Sexual energy coursed through my body. I wanted my husband. My hands slowly moved to his ass causing his erection to connect with my body. After all these years, it was still an amazing feeling.

 

“Get a room.” Someone yelled.

 

I pulled back from my husband. His eyes were filled with carnal lust. Both of us forgot that we were in a crowded airport. Public displays of affection were rare for us. I didn’t mind a brief kiss on the lips, but anything more was personal. Neither of us said anything for a long time.

 

“Aspen…” AJ broke the silence. I grabbed his hand and pulled him over to some seats.

 

“AJ, I don’t regret what just happened. In fact, I’m turned on.” I gave him a smile.

 

“B…B…But…” He sputtered. I started chuckling. It was fun seeing him stunned.

 

“Usually I hate PDA, but I decided to live in the moment.” I placed my hand on his thigh. “I think I’m starting to like it.”

 

“Well, I think this vacation is just what we needed. Aspen, I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings earlier. I love everything about you. There’s no other woman for me. You’ve got to believe that, babe.” He said sincerely.

 

“I know you love me. Sometimes, I’m my hardest critic. I want to relax and just be spontaneous. It’s just not in my nature. Thankfully you go out of your way to make me forget about being a control freak.”  I hold back the tears that are threatening to fall.

 

“Aspen. You’re not a control freak.”

 

“Stop. I know who I am and most of the time I’m okay with it.” I continued rubbing his thigh, moving my hand higher. “I’m getting tired of being in this airport. Right now, I think you should find us a hotel. I want to make love to my husband.”

 

He grabbed his phone from his pocket. “I’m on it.”

 

“Good. I’m going to look around the shops. Love ya.” With that I walk towards the stores leaving AJ to find us a hotel. Hopefully AJ and I won’t fight the rest of our vacation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading. Hope your enjoying the story. ~ Rachel