- Text Size +

A Romantic Surprise

Chapter 6

By Rachel

2014

 

Everything was going well, until I had to ruin it. AJ was being romantic, and I went and said the wrong thing. Now I’m sitting in the bathroom bawling my eyes out. AJ was attempting to coax me out. I didn’t understand how something so trivial could cause such a big problem between us.

 

I grabbed a wad of toilet paper and blew my nose. Letting my tears subside, I sat on the toilet. I was embarrassed to go back out.

 

“Aspen baby, come out, please. I’m not mad at you.” AJ pleaded.

 

“Just leave me alone. Go out! Go to bed.” I yelled. This had been going on for the past twenty minutes.

 

“Aspen, I’ll leave you alone. I love you. I’ll be here for you when you’re done feeling sorry for yourself.” He said softly; then walked away.

 

I didn’t move from my spot, but I listened to see what my husband was doing. He was on his cell phone. I moved closer to the door. I wanted to hear what he was talking about.

 

“Nick, everything was fine. Then bam, Aspen was mad at me. She locked herself in the effing bathroom.” He explained.

 

“What triggered her? Aspen is the calmest person I know.”

 

“I prefer not to say. She would freak if I tell you.  I just don’t know what to do with her mood swings anymore.” AJ fell to the couch.

 

“I bet it has something to do with hormones or some other woman shit.” Nick explained. “Jade gets moody right before her period. Maybe it’s her time of the month.”

 

“Well, thank you Dr. Carter for that piece of information. Is Jade around?”

 

“Yeah. Hold on.”

 

“Aren’t you supposed to be seducing my sister?” Jade teased.

 

“Yeah, but things aren’t going as planned. Aspen’s a basket case. She locked herself in the bathroom and won’t come out.” AJ sighed with frustration. I couldn’t believe he was talking to my sister. I opened the door slightly, so I was able to hear the conversation better. Well, at least AJ’s side.

 

“What did you do?” Jade growled.

 

“Nothing. We were in the middle of a romantic moment. She flipped out and got upset. Now she wants nothing to do with me. Jade, I need your help. This isn’t the first time she’s flipped out on me. I can’t her mood swings.”  AJ cried out for help. Was I really that bad?

 

“Aspen’s usually always in control. How long has she been acting this way?”

 

“Off and on for the last month or so.” AJ got up and started pacing. I couldn’t believe he thought I was acting liking this for that long. I was getting pissed again.

 

“AJ, that last time I remember Red acting like a crazy hormonal bitch was when she was pregnant.”  Jade replied honestly.

 

“Do you really think?” AJ leaned against the wall across from the bathroom. “Jade, I’m going to go. Thanks.”

 

AJ grabbed the handle of the door and opened it. I fell into the room. He looked at me with disdain and walked away. I stood up and followed him into the bedroom. He was lounging on the bed watching television.

 

“How dare you call Nick and Jade!” I screamed. “It’s none of their business if I’m acting like a bitch. You’re the reason I’m being a bitch.”

 

“I love you, too, Aspen. You know this was supposed to be a week for us. We’ve spent more time fighting. I don’t know what to do anymore.”

 

“Fine, I’ll be sleeping on the couch.” I started to stomp out the door.

 

“Wait!” He yelled. I turned around. “I don’t want to fight. Jade told me something interesting.”

 

“What’s that?” I said quietly. I was afraid of what my sister told AJ. You never knew what could come out of her mouth. I bet it was something sexual.

 

“She thinks you may be pregnant.” AJ said with a smile. My mouth fell open in shock. Could she be right? I doubt it. After trying this long, my odds of having a baby were slim to none. My shock turned into anger.

 

“That is cruel coming from you and Jade. How can you say that to me?” I cried out.

 

AJ was up on his feet and by my side in an instant. He took my hands in his and wouldn’t let me leave. I wanted to bolt. There was no reason for me to stay here and deal with this. “Sweetheart, baby, I didn’t say it to hurt you. It’s just…you haven’t been acting like yourself for a while. I’m worried about you.” He said tenderly.

 

“I know I haven’t been myself lately. I feel irritated by everything. You all know I want a baby more than anything else. It hurt when you mentioned that I could be pregnant. I wish every month that I don’t get my period. Every woman I see with a baby makes me jealous.”

 

“Aspen, I’m sorry you feel that way.” He pressed a kiss to my nose and then my lips. “I have an idea.”

 

“I’m afraid to ask.” The hurt look on his face made me giggle. “You know you’ve had some hair brained ideas in the past.”

 

“Anyway.” He smiled lovingly at me, ignoring my comment. “How about tomorrow, we get a pregnancy test. Then, we’ll know for sure.”

 

“And if it’s negative, it will put me in a depressive mood for the rest of the trip. I don’t know if that’s a gamble I want to take.”

 

“Either way, it’s going to eat at you. If it’s positive, we celebrate by making loving for the rest of the week. If it’s negative, we spend the rest of the week making love and getting you pregnant.” The love on his face made me want to cry. Happy tears this time. AJ’s love for me had no boundaries. I was thankful for that love.

 

“Well Mr. McLean, I think that is a win-win situation.” I pressed my lips to his for a long, sensual kiss. “Let’s go to bed. I’m exhausted.”

 

He picked me up and carried me to bed. I cuddled in his arms and fell asleep, dreaming of babies.