- Text Size +

A Romantic Surprise

Chapter 7

By Rachel

2014

 

The snow was falling down so hard you could barely see. It looked like we were going to be snowed in for the day. I shut the curtains and got back into bed. AJ was lying on his back with his arm hanging off the bed. His mouth was open and the noises that came from his nose would wake up the dead. It was a site to be seen, but I loved him with all my heart.

 

Once I got under the covers, I watched my husband sleep. Every day I thanked my lucky stars that he loved me as much as he did. I wasn’t always the easiest to get along with. Slowly, my eyes closed and I drifted off to sleep.

 

“Rise and shine.” AJ sang loudly, a few hours later. I pulled the covers over my head, so I could go back to dreaming. “Aspen wakey, wakey.”

 

“Five more minutes.” I grumbled. Of course, he didn’t listen. Instead he pulled the covers off my body. “Leave me be. I’m having a hot dream.”

 

“Is it about me?” AJ sat on the edge of the bed next to me.

 

“No.” I heard him pouting. “It was about Luke Bryan, mmm.”

 

“What’s so hot about some twangy singer?”

 

I sat up with a huge smile on my face. “Oh my! Have you seen how tight his jeans are? Hell even Jade enjoyed his concert and she hates country music.”

 

“So that’s what gets you all wound up.” My husband grinned at me. “If I wore my jeans like tight would it turn you on?”

 

I couldn’t help myself, I started to laugh. Not a sweet laugh, but because my husband’s statement was ridiculous. He looked at me like I had three heads. That only made me laugh harder. “Don’t even think of wearing your jeans that tight. You don’t have the ass for them.”  I said between giggles.

 

“I thought you loved me and my ass.”  He sulked.

 

“I love you and your ass, you big dope.” I pushed him off the bed. He fell to the floor with a thud. “Since you woke me up from the hottest dream ever, what’s for breakfast?” 

 

I got up and walked into the living room of our suite. AJ trailed behind me. I flopped onto the couch and relaxed. I was in a good mood and I wasn’t going to let anything spoil it.

 

“You kind of missed breakfast, my dear.” He moved my feet and sat beside me. I looked at the clock. It was noon. I never slept until noon.

 

“I think I want a grilled cheese and chicken noodle soup.  Order some hot chocolate. The snow makes me want to drink hot chocolate.”

 

While AJ ordered our food, I watched him. He’s confident without being conceited. He made everything he does seem easy. My husband was the exact opposite of me. A lot of people think we didn’t match, but somehow we made it work. It wasn’t always easy. We argued a lot, especially over little things. AJ and I made up as quickly as we fought.

 

“Penny for your thoughts.” He said once he got off the phone.

 

“Just thinking about how lucky I am to have you in my life.” I reached over and placed a kiss on his mouth.

 

 

 

 

The snow was gorgeous. Everything around us was covered in white. Snow was falling all around us. I loved Central Park. Being here in the winter was so different than Los Angeles. I wasn’t a big fan of snow, but I was enjoying it today.

 

AJ led us to a bench that wasn’t covered in a foot of snow. He placed a blanket down, so we could sit. Then he grabbed a thermos out of his bag and poured us some hot chocolate.

 

“Thank you kindly, sir.” The liquid chocolate warmed my body. It also could have been from being wrapped up in my husband’s arms.

 

“You’re welcome baby. It’s absolutely beautiful here.” He held me closer.

 

“It sure is, but I don’t think I could live here all winter. Being cold sucks.”

 

“Are you cold? Do you want to go back to the hotel?” He asked tenderly.

 

I took his gloved hand and placed it in mine. I stare up at him with a smile. “Not yet. I’m nice and warm right where I’m at. AJ, this is nice. I’m glad we’re getting to spend time together just you and I.”

 

“We need it, Aspen. I promise that we are going to start spending more time together. I apologize for not always making you top priority. That is going to change.” He kisses my cheek.

 

“I understand AJ. Your career is demanding. When we got engaged I accepted that. It’s not always easy, but I would never take you from something you love so much. We make it work.”  It’s nice being able to talk about the issues in our marriage. For me it’s hard sometimes to vocalize my feelings. I know I need to try harder in the future to do that.

 

“You know that at any time you want to pursue a dream, I’ll support you one-hundred and ten percent. I just want you to be happy.”

 

“Sweetcheeks.” I pressed my hand to his face. “I’m very happy.  I have a husband that loves me unconditionally. I get to take care of him and my daughter. What more do I need?”

 

“Well, if you do need more, all you have to do is ask.”

 

We sat quietly, snuggled together, watching the snow fall from the sky. It was moments like this that I cherished. AJ and I didn’t need a three ring circus to prove our love. I was content being wrapped up in his arms. That’s what love was about.

 

I noticed that AJ was playing in the snow with a stick. I looked down at what he was drawing. “What are you doing?” I questioned curiously.

 

“Just drawing in the snow.” He gave me a mischievous grin.

 

I pushed myself away from him. “I can’t believe your drawing boobs and a dick. That’s gross.” I hissed.

 

He started laughing. Men were such pigs. I stepped on his picture and wiped it out of existence with my shoe.  “What you do that for?”

 

“In case a little kid or elderly lady decides to use this bench. They don’t need to see your perverseness.” I started to walk off.

 

“Wait up, Aspen!” AJ tried folding the blanket. “Don’t leave me.”

 

Stopping in my tracks, I waited for him. After he got everything cleaned up, he walked over with a smirk on his face. “You know there’s no one around to worry about seeing my masterpiece.”

 

“Just stop it. You had to ruin a perfect moment by being a guy.” I huffed.

 

AJ took my hands, so I won’t walk away. “Baby, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you mad. I started off trying to draw a heart, but it turned out more like boobs.”

 

I busted out laughing at his comment. He gave me an awkward grin. “I’m not buying that excuse for one moment. It’s a good thing I love you and will put up with your childish antics.”

 

“And I’m grateful for that.”  He said as we started walking back to the hotel hand in hand. I couldn’t help but love AJ more each day.