- Text Size +

Why Are We Still Friends

By: Rachel

Copyright 2014

 

Chapter 11

 

“I promise I will be ready when you pick me up. I know seven o’clock sharp.” I giggled. “I’m always punctual. No we’re not going to Disney so you can get fresh with me. See you, later Peter Pan.” I hung up the phone.

It was late afternoon and I was still lounging in bed. I was enjoying my day off. I had the house to myself. Anna was working. She got a job at a country club working in their spa.

Brian was taking me out tonight for a celebratory dinner for my job promotion. I thought it was nice of him to think of me. I hadn’t gotten around to telling anyone else.

The doorbell rang causing me to get out of my comfortable bed. I padded into the living room. I opened the door to a delivery man standing on my porch. He was holding a vase full of flowers.

“These are for Alexia McLean.”

“That’s me.” He pushed them into my arms and walked away. “Thanks.” I yelled

I took the beautiful mix of assorted roses, gerbera daisies, and tiger lilies. As soon as I saw the lilies, I knew they were from Brian. I took out the card.  Congrats on the new job. You deserve it and so much more. Looking forward to tonight.  Smiles, Brian. It was sweet of Brian to send me flowers. I quickly sent him a text message thanking him.

----------

“So Bri, where are you taking me for this special dinner?” I asked as soon as we got into the car.

“It’s surprise. You couldn’t choose a restaurant, so you left it in my hands. Now buckle and let’s go.” Brian chided me. Like a good girl I followed directions.

We drove for thirty minutes, making small talk the whole time. I never got bored talking with Brian. He always had funny stories to tell, that left me in stitches. We got to a familiar road and I looked at Brian.

“Are we going to your house?” I asked with a smiled.

“Yes, I thought I would cook you dinner since you’re so picky.” He smacked me gently in the arm.

“I hope you made your famous mac-n-cheese.” I sighed dreamily, as I relaxed in my seat.

“Maybe.” His eyes twinkled with mischief.

We pulled up to his house and got out. He grabbed my hand as we walked toward the door. He opened the door and let me in first.

“Surprise!!!” Everyone yelled.

I was in shock seeing all my friends and family in Brian’s living room. I leaned back into Brian and whispered into his. “This is for me? Thank you.”

“You deserve it.” He whispered in my ear. “Now go enjoy your party.”

My brother walked over to me. “Congrats Sis. I’m so proud of you.”

“Thanks.” I blushed.

“You’re always so modest Lexi. You deserved this promotion. You’re the best nurse I know.” Bella gave me a hug.

I loved that everyone was here, but I hated having all the attention on me. I wasn’t the type of girl to seek out attention from others. I was okay with being in the background. I talked to everyone at the party and was enjoying myself, but after a couple of hours I started to feel overwhelmed.

I was the kitchen getting a drink when Nick walked in. He grabbed my beer and opened it for me.

“Here you go.” He handed me the bottle and placed a kiss on my cheek. “I’m happy you got a promotion. Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Nick.” I looked at him. He was hurt that I didn’t tell him. “Things have been kind of weird between us. I didn’t know how to tell you.”

“All you had to say was Nick, they gave me a fantastic new job as charge nurse of the cardiac floor. How hard is that?” He leaned against the counter.

I didn’t want to start a fight with him on such a nice evening. “I’m sorry. I should have told you. I planned on telling you the night we slept together, but you were pissed about Anna ditching you. You wouldn’t have listened anyway.” I whispered so no one could hear.

“That didn’t happen last night. You still could have told me. I’m your best friend. I shouldn’t have to hear it from Brian. Why was he the first to know?” Nick sipped his drink.

Did he really want to make this about himself? I thought this was my night. Did I detect a little jealousy from Nick? I was already tired of his mood swings. Ever since Annalise came back Nick had a case of PMS.

“Nick, I’m not going to get into this tonight. I just want to have some fun. I said I was sorry.”

He walked over to where I was standing. Nick grabbed my beer and placed it on the island. He pulled me in close to his body for a hug. At first I thought he was going to kiss me. I was thankful he didn’t. “Lexi, I’d like to take you out for a celebratory dinner. Just you and me, best friends forever.”

I inhaled his cologne, remembering the smell in case I never got that close to him again. I looked at him with a smile. “I’d love to.”

After talking to Nick, I slipped out to the backyard. I needed to take a moment for myself. So many things were going through my mind. Brian found me sitting on the swing in deep thought. “Is everything okay?” He asked gently.

I look up at him and smiled. “Everything is perfect.”

“I’m glad. I hope you weren’t upset that I planned this party.” He sat down next to me.

“Not at all. Thank you for caring about me. You always do such nice things for me.” I gave Brian a hug and a kiss on the cheek. A jolt of electricity ran through my body causing me to shudder.

“Are you okay, Lex?” Brian asked, but didn’t let go of me.

It took me a moment to speak. “I think so. I just got a chill or something.”

Brian took off his sweater and gave it to me. “Don’t want you getting a chill.”

He was always a gentleman to me. “Thank you, Brian.” I smiled shyly at him. “By the way the flowers were gorgeous. Thank you. They were my favorite ones.”

“You’re welcome. Are you nervous about the new job?”

“Actually, I’m really calm about it. I love being a nurse. It’s the one thing I’m really good at.” I replied honestly. Lately it seemed like Brian was the only person I could be truthful with. He never judged me or thought what I said was stupid.

“Lex, you are good at so many things. Nursing is just one of them. You are an excellent cook. You help others with a genuineness I’ve never seen from anyone else. You can dance and run. Everyone likes you because you’re sweet, friendly, nice, kind, and the list goes on and on.” Brian placed his hand on mine.

“Brian, you’re such a charmer. Some girl would be lucky to have you as their boyfriend.” I placed me head on his shoulder.

“Really? Do you think I’m that special?” He said half-joking, half seriously.

“Any girl would love to have a boyfriend like you. You are sweet, charming, funny, cute, and the list goes on and on.” I giggled.

“Now you’re mocking me?” He slid his hands to my waist and started tickling me. I couldn’t stop laughing.  “You think this is funny?”

“I give. I give.” I squeaked out between chuckles. Brian removed his hand from my body. “Thank you Brian. I mean it for everything you’ve done. I appreciate that you care about me so much. I better get back to the party.” I gave him a quick peck and went back to the house.

Bella gave me a strange look as I entered the kitchen. I smiled not knowing what she meant by it. I didn’t have time to ask her because my mom started talking to me. I decided to talk to her later. I wanted to enjoy the rest of the evening.