- Text Size +

Why Are We Still Friends

By Rachel

Copyright 2014

 

Chapter 17

 

As soon as we get to the club, AJ and Bella hit the dance floor. Within minutes they are gyrating against each other. I was not one for rubbing up against a man whether I knew him or not. Luckily, Brian was cool with that. He was off getting us drinks.

I was looking around the club when I noticed Nick and Anna walking over to the table with Brian. Damn, why were they here? I didn’t want to deal with the two of them on my birthday.

“Here’s your drink sweetheart.” Brian handed me a Midori sour.

“Thanks Brian.” I smiled and took a sip. Hopefully, the alcohol would loosen me up enough that I could enjoy myself.

“Happy birthday Alexia.” Nick whispered in my ear as he hugged me.

“Thanks Nick.”

I took a long taste of my drink. Then I grabbed Brian’s hand and pulled him onto the crowded dance floor. We wrapped our arms around each other and swayed to the music. I placed my head on his shoulder, so that I didn’t have to talk.

After a few moments of silence, Brian began to talk. “Lex, I’m not going to force you to talk about it. Just don’t let them ruin your birthday.”

“Thanks. I don’t want to talk about it. Why did they have to show up tonight? I didn’t invite them.” I looked up at Brian.

“I’ll ask them to leave. I don’t want you to be uncomfortable.”  The sincerity in Brian’s eyes was haunting. Why was he always so nice to me?

“As much as I’d love that, it will only cause more problems. I’ll be civil towards them.”

“Well if Nick or Anna start something, I’ll make them leave. It’s your night, and I won’t have them ruin it.” He placed a kiss on my cheek. Once, I again I felt something strange, but I ignored it. I didn’t know what was wrong with me.

“Peter Pan, why are you so good to me?” I asked as I placed my head back on his shoulder.

“Tiger Lily, you are one of my very best friends. It would kill me to see you hurt in any way. That’s how much I care about you.”  Brian whispered against my ear.

He was such a sweetheart. I was lucky to have him a friend. We had gotten closer in the last few years. I could confide in him about life, school, well anything. Brian and I had so much in common, but it never got boring.

The music changed to an upbeat tempo. I removed myself from the warmness of Brian’s arms.

“Don’t you want to get freaky with me tonight?” Brian said as he swayed his hips in my direction.

“As much as I love you, I don’t ever plan on getting freaky with you, Mr. Littrell.” My hand went to his chest. “Now if you were Hugh Jackman, I’d be more than willing to get my freak on.”

“What does he have that I don’t?” Brian whined, as we walked to our table.

“If I have to tell, you’d just be jealous, and I don’t want that to happen.” I winked at him.

“You kill me Lex.”

Nick and Anna were talking to Bella. They seemed to be enjoying themselves.

“Having a good time?” Bella asked looking at me.

“The best. Brian is trying to figure out why Hugh Jackman is hotter than him.” I laughed. He placed his arms around me, pulling me close to his body.

“There’s no explanation except that he’s hot and has an even hotter accent.” Bella gushed.

“Hey, I have a sexy accent.” Brian commented holding me tighter against him.

I tried to wriggle free of him, but it didn’t help that he was muscular. I never really paid attention to it until this very moment. “Oh, Peter Pan.” I started imitating Brian’s accent.  “You have a twangy country bumpkin accent. That’s so not sexy.”

“Oh, Tiger Lily, you hurt my heart. I think I need to go home and start playing sad love songs on my banjo.”

I looked over at Nick. He looked rather pissed off. I don’t what his problem was, except maybe he was mad I was enjoying myself without him. He wasn’t the only friend I had.

This fight was getting a bit ridiculous. For the first time I wasn’t going to apologize. I always did even when I didn’t do anything. This time I was going to let Nick beg for forgiveness.

“Anyone need a drink?” Nick asked casually. Everyone started barking out orders.

“Hey let me help you.” I said quietly. Brian slowly removed his arms from me. He seemed somewhat hesitant. I whispered. “I’ll be fine Brian. I’m just trying to be nice.”

“I know. I just don’t want Nick hurting  you more than he already has. Why don’t I go help him?” He remarked quietly.

“It’s okay, Brian. It will be fine.”

Nick had already walked toward to bar. I followed, my heels clicking on the floor. When we get to the bar, we stopped and waited in line. The place was booming tonight.

“Are you going to stay mad at me?” Nick asked crossing his arms.

“Don’t I have every right to be mad at you?” I countered. He was not going to make me feel guilty.

“Lexi, we’re adults here. Lots of people sleep with their friends.”

“Yes, but both people actually enjoy it.” We moved closer to the bar. “I for one did not enjoy sex with you. I know. I’m the only girl on planet earth to not think sex with Nick Carter was the most orgasmic experience of her life.”

Nick looked like I had punched him in the gut. “That was harsh. When did you become a bitch?”

“Go to hell. I’m tired of people walking all over me. You know what? You and Annalise deserve each other.” I turned toward the bartender. “I’d like a screaming orgasm. It’s been a while since I’ve had one. Apparently not all men know how to please a woman.

“That was fucking low, Lexi.” Nick sneered lowly, so no one overheard.

“Go fuck yourself Nick. Oh wait, you probably won’t be able to get yourself off.” I laughed in his face. “I’m not the naïve Lexi anymore. I’m tired of being treated like shit because you’re fucking my best friend.”

I grabbed my drink and took a sip. Nick grabbed it out of my hand. “Don’t you ever say that again. I never knew you to be the jealous type. Lexi, this just proves that you and I would never work.”

“Whatever. I’m done with you. Go off and fuck Anna. The two of you deserve each other.” I left my drink at the bar and found the bathroom.

Once inside, I leaned against the wall trying to calm down. Nick irritated the hell out of me. What did I ever see in that asshole? I kept the tears from falling. No way was I going to let Nick make me cry on my birthday. He wasn’t worth it.

I straightened my dress and fixed my hair. I was going to enjoy the rest of my evening. No reason to let my best friend; the douche bag ruin it.

When I got back to the table, Nick and Anna were missing. “Brian, dance with me?” I take his hand and yanked him in the direction of the dance floor.

I wanted to forget my fight with Nick. Brian was just the man to make me forget.