- Text Size +

Why Are We Still Friends?

By Rachel

Copyright 2013

 

Chapter 2

 

I was sitting on the deck waiting for my brother to bring the kids over. They lived about thirty minutes away. I was enjoying the sunshine. Anna was off getting ready for her night out with Nick. She conned him into taking her to dinner and then dancing.

I heard the pitter patter of little feet in the house. I grabbed my book and went inside.

“Auntie Lexi. I missed you so much.” Alisa exclaimed as she ran over to me and gave me a hug. Ian followed her.

“Hello Lexi.” Brian entered the kitchen. I was surprised to see him.

“Hi Brian. What brings you here?”

“I figured since I just got back for Kentucky, we could hang out with the munchkins.” He smiled at me. Brian was always sweet and friendly.

“That sounds good.”

“Can we go out for pizza Lexi, pwease?” Alisa jumped around as she talked. She was a barrel of energy.

“So, Alexia, how do I look?” Anna sashayed into the kitchen wearing a cute, short, green dress. She was beautiful and looked like a model.

The look on Brian’s face when he saw Anna was enough to make me want to disappear. I didn’t like confrontation. His nostrils started to flare, so I knew he was upset. This wasn’t going to end well.

“What is she doing here?” Brian asked me. He ignored his sister.

“Well, hello to you Brian. Lexi, don’t wait up. I’ll see you later.” Anna exited the room.

“Lexi, what’s going on?” He stared at me. I wasn’t used to Brian being like this with me.

“Let me get the kids settled with a movie. Then we can talk.” I left the kitchen.

While I got the movie ready for the kids, my mind was on how to tell Brian. I knew he was mad that I didn’t tell him Anna was coming back. He was in Kentucky. I just didn’t want Brian to be mad at me.

Once the kids were settled on the couch, I walked back into the kitchen. Brian was sitting at the island looking pissed. I hadn’t seen him this angry for a long time. In fact it was probably the day Anna left.

“So, Bri.” I sat down across from him. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you that she was back. Anna just arrived today.”

He looked at me with his deep blue eyes and I could see the hurt in his eyes. I wasn’t sure if it was caused by me or his sister. “Is she just visiting?”

“No, Anna’s moved in with me. She and Grady are divorced.”

“Wow! I thought they were so in love. It’s nice of you to let her stay with you.”  Brian commented dryly.

“I know your sister hasn’t been your favorite person in the world.”  I chose my words carefully. There was no need to start an argument. “She’s my friend. I want to help her get back on her feet. That’s what friends do.”

“Lexi, I know you’re right. You’re a good friend to everyone. I hope Annalise appreciates all that you do for her.” He gave me a smile and rubbed my hand.

“I think deep down she does. Anna just gets carried away by all the craziness in her life.” I started playing with the napkins that were sitting in front of me. I guess I was still a little unsure of where this conversation might lead. “Do you think you are going to try to make amends with Anna?”

Brian was quiet for a few minutes. I could hear the kids’ movie in the background. I knew what I wish he would do, but it was not my choice that mattered in the end. “I don’t know. I don’t know if our relationship can be fixed. It’s been too long. We’re both different people.”

I looked up at him and whispered. “I wish you would try.”

“I’ll think about it. Where was she running off to in such a hurry?” He took the napkin from my hand and threw it at the wastebasket. He smiled when it in fell inside.

“She went out with Nick tonight. Anna’s not one to sit still. She has to be busy.”

“Why didn’t you go out with her?” He tilted his head and gawked at me. I hated when he did this.

“I promised Bella I would watch the kiddos. Plus you know that’s not my scene. I prefer to stay at home watching movies or reading.”  Suddenly, I felt like a major loser. Here I was twenty-eight and had no life. I did go out on occasion when Nick dragged me out of the house.

“You could have gone out tonight. I would have watched Ian and Alisa.”

“Oh Brian, you’re too sweet for your own good. Plus, shouldn’t you being going out on dates with hot women.” I teased him. Brian was more like me when it came to going out.  We did it every once in a while, but preferred being homebodies.

“I’ve decided to give up on the dating scene for a while. I haven’t met any women who could hold my interest.”

“Wexi, I hungry.” Ian walked in rubbing his tummy.

“I think that’s our cue to get some dinner.” I nudged Brian. “Would you like to go to Lorenzo’s for pizza?”

Ian nodded his head. “I wuv Renzo’s.” Brian and I both laughed. Ian was such a cutie. He looked just like his daddy.

“Okay go get Alisa and we’ll head out.”

-----------------------

By the time we got back from dinner Ian was fast asleep in his car seat. Alisa was yawning. I got them both settled in their beds. They had their own room at Aunt Lexi’s house. They would sleep the rest of the night. I shut the light off and went into the living room. Brian wasn’t there.  He must be on the deck.

A few minutes later, that’s where I found him. He was leaning against the railing watching the waves crash along the sand. Brian seemed to be in deep thought.

“Everything okay Bri?” I asked as I moved beside him.

“Yes, it’s perfect.” He scooted closer, bumping me in the process.

“Glad everything is perfect for you.”

“So, how’s school Miss Smarty Pants?” Brian took my hand and led us to the steps.  We both took a seat with Brian sitting a few steps below me.

“It’s going well. I can’t believe how much stuff I’m learning. The classes are hard, but I love it.” I could go on for hours about my classes. I was going to graduate school for Pediatric Nursing. I loved working with children.

“You are the best nurse I know. Those kids love you.” Brian complimented me. Luckily it was dark, so he didn’t see me blush.

“I just do my job. Timothy misses you. He asks me every day when you are coming to see him.”

“Lexi, you don’t give yourself enough credit.” Brian reached over and placed a strand of hair behind my ear. “Learn to take a compliment, sweetheart.”

A shiver went through my body. I rubbed my arms to get warm. “Okay. I just don’t like sounding like I’m better than anyone else.”

“Lexi, you are a wonderful woman. You’re sweet, kind, intelligent and pretty. You deserve credit for what you are good at.” Brian took off his sweatshirt. “Here take this. You’re cold.”

“Are you sure?” I asked before putting it on. “You’re going to get cold.”

“I’m sure. My long sleeve shirt will keep me warm. My dad always taught me to be chivalrous to women.”

“You’re going to make some women very happy someday. Then I can babysit your kids.” I stared out at the ocean as we talked.

“Lexi, you aren’t going to be the Backstreet babysitter your whole life.” Brian started rubbing my calf. “Someday Prince Charming is going to come and sweep you off your feet.”

“Not for a long time, Littrell. I’m so busy with work and school. I don’t have time to date.”  What I didn’t tell Brian was that I was in love with someone.

“Maybe you need to make some time. You can’t forget about love. It’s an important part of life.” He said seriously.

“I know that Brian. Right now isn’t the right time. I promise to start dating after I graduate.” That would be in at least two years. It wasn’t that I didn’t want to date. I was in love with the wrong person. He was my best friend, and didn’t notice me in that way.  “So it’s getting cold out here. Why don’t we go in and watch a movie?”

“Oh, I see, avoiding the subject are we.” Brian joked.

“Well we could always talk about your nonexistent love life. Oh, wait you must be like Nick and have a new woman to hook up with when you get horny.”

“I cannot believe those words are coming out of your mouth. I thought you were sweet and innocent.” Brian shook his finger at me.

“Looks can be deceiving. You got to watch out for us quiet ones.” With that I got up and ran into the house.

I enjoyed spending time with Brian. He was funny and easy to talk to. We always had fun together.