- Text Size +

Why Are We Still Friends

By Rachel

Copyright 2014

 

Chapter 20

 

I decided to use my vacation days. My heart wasn’t in my work. I hadn’t been home since that dreadful night. Call me a coward, but I didn’t want to face Anna. I holed myself up in AJ’s guest bedroom. I hadn’t talked to anyone in a few days.

There was a quiet knock at the door. Whoever was at the door pushed it open. I opened my eyes and saw Alisa walk over to my bed.

“Hi Aunt Lexi. Are you feeling any better today?” She asked kindly, while climbing on the bed.

“Hey Lis. No, I’m still a little sad.” I give her a hug. “How was school today?”

“I love kindergarten. Today we learned how to sound out words. Pretty soon, we’re going to learn to read.” Alisa was all excited about school.

“That’s awesome.” I mustered up some cheer for her.

“I brought you something to cheer you up.” She hands me a cd. “These are my favorite songs. I listen to them when daddy is away. They always make me feel better. I hope they make you feel better, too.”

I felt horrible that my five year old niece was able to pick up on my sadness. I was pathetic. It was time to stop wallowing in my pity, but I found it hard to lift myself up. I wasn’t assertive like Bella or even, Anna. I was just shy and let people walk all over me.

“Lexi, you have a visitor.” Bella said from the door.

“Who is it?” I asked. There was no one I wanted to see.

“It’s Anna.”

“Um…I’ll be down….in a minute.” After Bella left, I gave Alisa a kiss. “Thanks, sweetie. I promise to listen to this later.”

Anna was sitting in the living room when I made it downstairs. I purposely took my time. I didn’t want to see her. She looked stunning as usual in a dark blue maxi dress. Her hair and makeup were pristine. Anna could have been a model.

“Alexia, I can’t believe you are mad at me.”

WTF? Really, was she that stupid? Of course I was mad at her. She had sex in my bed. That was just wrong. Why couldn’t Anna see that? I knew she wasn’t as dumb as she let on.

“Annalise, you know why I’m angry. There is no need for an explanation.” I said stiffly.

“That’s ridiculous. I don’t see what the big deal is.” She smiled at me. I wanted to wipe that grin off her face. I normally wasn’t violent, but she pushed me to the limit.

“That’s because you never think anything is a big deal. You just do whatever you want and don’t think about the consequences.”

“It’s just a bed. My goodness I washed the sheets. Your bed is as good as new.” Anna said with no remorse.

“Oh my gosh, I can’t believe you. How can you sit here and act like you did nothing wrong?” I get up and a walk over to where she is sitting. “That is my personal space. My sanctuary when I want to be alone. If I want to have sex there it’s okay, but not you. That’s why you have your own room. It’s called courtesy.”

She started to laugh. “I can’t believe you are so bent out of shape about this. I think you are just jealous of my relationship with Nick.”

“Just because you are having sex does not mean you are having a relationship. You’re just a warm body to him. He likes you because you get him off.” I knew that came out bitchy, but it was the truth.

“That was cruel. Nick and I do more than have sex. You are just bitter and jealous.” Her eyes were glassy. If she started to cry I was going to lose it. “You can’t even get a man. You only got Nick cause I wasn’t around. He never wanted to sleep with you.”

“Well, I wish I never slept with him. It was the worst two fucks of my life. Anna, I thought you were my friend. You’ve turned into the biggest manipulator. All you do is use people. You’re using Nick until someone better comes along.”  I hissed.

“Some friend you are. I would expect you to be happy for me. I found a guy that I actually like. You need to get your head out of your ass.” Anna stood up. “NICK DOESN’T WANT YOU.  You just aren’t his type. My brother thinks you walk on water. Perfect Alexia who does no wrong and Saint Brian who is practically a virgin himself; you would make the perfect couple.”

“At least Brian is willing to wait for the right one. He doesn’t just sleep with anyone, which is more than I can say for you.” I stand up next to Anna.

“Are you calling me a slut?” She gasped.

“If the shoe fits.” With that comment, Anna smacked me. I was  in shock. I stared at here, knowing I deserved it.

“You are the biggest bitch, Alexia. Everything thinks you are so kind and sweet. This is the real you.”

“Go to hell! Get the fuck out of my house. I don’t want you there.” I roared. There was only so much I was going to take.

AJ heard the commotion and came running into the living room. “Is everything okay?”

“Everything is fine, AJ. Alexia is just teaching me the fine art of friendship. Don’t worry your pretty tattooed body about me. It’s all good.” Anna placed a kiss on AJ’s cheek.  I saw AJ glance at me. I ignored him.

“If you need me just holler.” He said more to me than Anna. Then he left the room.

“Fine, I’ll be out of the house by tomorrow. Just remember you’re pushing me and Nick closer together. So, you might think this is the best choice, but Nick is going to be mine. Hope you don’t mind losing your friendship with Nick. He’s going to pick his girlfriend over his best friend.” Anna grabbed her purse and left.

I fell onto the couch. I was angry, no more like pissed that I let her get to me. She knew which buttons to push. Now I was losing all of my friends. Life seemed so unfair. I wanted to talk to Brian, but I couldn’t. Nick planted a seed in my head and at this point I couldn’t deal with talking to the only friend I had left.