- Text Size +

Why Are We Still Friends

By Rachel

Copyright 2014

 

Chapter 25

 

Brian and I were making dinner together. He was busy making a salad while I put the almond cranberry chicken in the oven. We had grown comfortable the past few weeks. Every night since we confessed our love had been spent together. I couldn’t get enough of this man.

“Would you like a glass of wine?” Brian asked after putting the salad on the table.

“Sure, there’s a bottle of pinot noir in the fridge.” I commented while leaning against the island. “I’m going to change into something more comfy.”

A few minutes later I returned wearing a pair of running shorts and one of Brian’s t-shirts. Brian was setting the table for dinner. I walked over to him and pinched his butt. He jumped and I started to laugh.

“It’s a good thing I love you, Alexia McLean. I just don’t let anyone pinch my ass.” He placed a kiss on my nose.

“But it’s such a cute ass.” Our lips met for a long sensuous kiss. Everything felt right when I was in Brian’s arms and he’s kissing me. I forgot about everything when I was with him.

“I think your ass is better than mine especially when you are wearing those shorts.” He smiled as the doorbell rang. “I’ll go get that while you get dinner ready.”

I walked into the kitchen and started cutting bread for our meal. I hummed along to the radio. When Nick walked in with Brian, I was stunned. I hadn’t seen him since the day Anna moved out.

“Hey Lexi.” Nick said quietly.

I gave him a small smile. “Hi Nick. What brings you here?”

“I haven’t heard from you in a while, so I thought I would come and see my best friend.”

I took the plate of bread and headed into the dining room. At this point I had nothing to say to Nick. He made his choice when he chose Anna. I was curious as to why he wanted to be friends again. What did Anna do?

“Lex, is it okay that I invited Nick to join us for dinner?” Brian asked as he entered the room.

“It’s fine.” How could I say no? I was mad at Nick, but he was still my best friend.

“Thanks Alexia.” Nick sat down at the table.

Dinner was awkward to say the least. Brian and Nick did most of the talking. No word was mentioned about Anna. It wouldn’t have surprised me if Anna had moved on from Nick.

“That was a delicious meal.” Nick swallowed, “Do you think we can talk, Lexi?”

“I guess we can. Brian do mind if Nick and I take a walk on the beach?” I looked at my boyfriend hoping he didn’t mind.

“Go ahead. I’ll clean up.” He squeezed my hand under the table.

Nick and I walked down the beach in total silence. I didn’t know what to say to him. When did it get so hard to talk to my best friend? Usually I could tell Nick anything. Now I didn’t even want to talk to him.

“Cat got you tongue?” Nick stopped, causing me to trip.

“What’s there to say?” I shrugged. There was a lot I wanted to say, but it was better if I kept my mouth shut. I still cared about Nick, but my feelings had changed. I was in love with Brian. Seeing this other side of Nick made me question if I was ever really in love with him.

“I noticed that Brian’s been spending a lot of time with you.”

“What are you spying on me?” I responded sharply. I can’t believe Nick; spying on me of all things.

“I’m not spying. I just happen to drive past your house in the evening. His car has been parked at your house almost every night.” Nick remarked snidely.

“Geesh, I didn’t know I wasn’t allowed to have friends.” I commented wryly. “God forbid I have a life. Do I need your permission to have company?”

“God damn it, Alexia. I’m looking out for your best interest.” Nick attempted to grab my hand, but I backed away from him. “You know Rok hasn’t been with a woman in years. I just wouldn’t want him using you like that.”

I wanted to punch Nick in the gut. What drugs was he on? That’s when I remembered he’s with Anna. She loved to make up stories and manipulate. That’s where this had to be coming from.

“Brian is the least likely person to ever hurt me. He’s always been a true friend. That’s more than I can say from you. I’m a big girl. I can take care of myself. And another thing, I don’t need you to tell me what I can or cannot do. Go to hell Nick.”

I stomped off towards my house. There’s no way I was going to listen to the shit Nick was spewing.

“LEXI WAIT!!!!” He yelled and ran after me. With his long legs he was able to catch up to me. “I don’t want to fight with you.”

I turned around. “You have a funny way of showing it.”

“Come on Lexi. I miss spending time with you.” Nick said quietly.

I stared at him for a moment. He seemed sincere, but I wasn’t sure about anything when it came to Nick. Since he started dating Anna he’s changed. “Nick, you have Anna now. Our friendship isn’t as important now.” I commented sadly.

“And apparently you now have Brian.” Nick started to walk away. “Look, whatever I did I’m sorry. Call me when you aren’t so busy.”

I watched as Nick strolled down the beach. I plopped down on the soft sand. Things seemed to be getting worse between us. It killed me that I couldn’t even tell my best friend that I’m in love. Nick was so against it, and he didn’t know the truth.

“Lexi, you’re going to catch a cold.”  Brian handed me a sweatshirt and sat down beside me.

“Thanks.” I put on the sweatshirt and placed my head on his shoulder. “How long have I been out here?”

“Nick left about forty five minutes ago. I take it things didn’t go so well.” Brian wrapped his arms around me. I felt loved in his arms.

“No.” There was no way I can tell him what Nick said. I didn’t want to cause problems in their friendship. It’s bad enough I lost my best friend. Brian didn’t need to lose his.

He pressed a kiss to my head. “I’m sorry. Just give it some time. Nick will come around.”

“Yeah.” I sighed. “Let’s go inside and cuddle with a movie.”

“I’ll make the popcorn. You can pour the wine.” Brian pulled me up. We raced up to the house. Nick was forgotten for the rest of the night. All I cared about  was spending time with my man.