- Text Size +

Why Are We Still Friends

By Rachel

Copyright 2014

 

Chapter 26

 

“How are things with Brian?” Bella asked as we started preparing dinner. She and AJ were hosting a small dinner party.  I came early to help.

“Good.” I answered as my cheeks redden.  “Things are really good.”

“So I take it you’re having a lot of hot sex?” Bella checked on the lasagna.

I felt self-conscious talking about my sex life with Bella. It was weird talking about having sex with one of my brother’s best friends.  I’ve never been happier in my entire life. Luckily I trusted Bella. She hadn’t told AJ anything.

“Well, yeah. Brian’s at my house every night.” I giggled.

“It’s nice to see you so happy. When do you plan on telling your brother?” Bella questioned while grabbing vegetables out of the fridge.

“Soon. I think Brian and I are at that point. Plus it’s getting harder to not go out in public.” I grabbed a carrot and started munching.

“You know you have nothing to worry about.” She smiled at me. “AJ will be happy that you have a good man to love you. He’s mentioned quite a few times that Brian would be a good match for you.”

“Really?” I am shocked.

“Yes, really. AJ wants you to be happy. He worries about you being lonely.”

Bella’s comment made me relax. I think it was time to talk to Brian about sharing our news with my older brother. It’s easier knowing that he would support our relationship.

“I was never lonely. I just didn’t realize that love was right in front of me. I was looking in all the wrong places.” I sighed, thinking about Nick. “Looking back Nick and I would have never worked out. We both want different things. On the other hand Brian and I are compatible on all levels.”

“I agree. Would you go to the pantry and get a few bottles of salad dressing.” Bella asked as she finished the salad.

“Sure thing.” I got up and went into the pantry. I had to say I’m jealous of this pantry. It’s a full walk-in pantry.

I started looking for the salad dressing, when I heard the door shut. I straightened up and turned around. Brian was standing there with a huge grin on his face. He’s definitely in an ornery mood.

“What are you doing here?” I grabbed the dressing and walked over to him.

“I missed you.” He kissed me. “I need a few minutes alone with my beautiful girlfriend. I won’t be able to touch you all night and it’s killing me.”

I set the salad dressing down and wrapped my arms around his neck. “I’m thinking it’s time to tell everyone. I have it on good authority that my brother will be happy about us.”

Brian kissed me. “Good. Then I will be able to kiss you in public.” He kissed me again.

“I never knew you were into public displays of affection.” I teased.

Brian turned us around and pushed me against the door.  “I just want to whole world to know how much I love my girlfriend.”

Our lips met in a searing kiss. The passion between us was strong. Brian’s hands slowly slid down my body giving me chills. He firmly planted them on my hips. I slid my tongue in Brian’s mouth as he pressed his body into mine. We forgot that we were in the pantry in my brother’s house. Brian fumbled with the button on my jeans as I started undoing his belt.

Suddenly, I’m on the ground with Brian on top of me. I looked up to see AJ staring at us with an amused grin on his face. Neither of us attempted to get up.

“Well, well, well. What do we have here?” My brother smirked as he leaned against the wall.

I shoved Brian and he removed his body from mine. I stood up and straightened my clothes. “We’re a couple.” I couldn’t help but beam. Brian made me happy.

“I’m so happy for the both of you.” AJ pulled me into his arms and hugged me tight. He focused on Brian. “Though, I never want to see you on top of my little sister.”

I started to laugh seeing Brian’s face a bright shade of red. “Brian you can get on top of me any time you want.”

“Alexia Lillian McLean. That’s not how a proper lady acts. I think I may need to tell mom.”

“I never said I was proper.” I removed myself from my brother’s arms. “I better get the salad dressing.”

Once I grabbed the dressing and went into the kitchen, I can hear AJ congratulating Brian. It made me smile.

 

 

As I’m heading out with Brian, my brother stopped me, telling me he wanted to talk. Quickly, I gave Brian a peck and told him I would meet up with him after I talked to AJ.

With my hands in my pocket, I leaned against the house. “So what do you want to talk about?” The serious look on his face had me worried.

“How serious are things with Brian?” AJ questioned quietly.

“Honestly, I don’t see myself with another guy.” I paused briefly. “It took me all these years to see what I had in front of me. I was a fool wasting my time on a man that would never love me back.”

“You mean Nick.” I gave my brother a hard stare. “I wouldn’t be too sure about that.”

What was going on? I was more confused than ever. What did my brother know that I didn’t? I wasn’t sure I liked where this conversation was heading.

“Lexi, he’s worried about you. I’m worried about you. I think you are moving too fast when it comes to Brian.”  

“This is Brian we’re talking about. You know he’d never hurt me. I don’t understand why you and Nick are so concerned. Brian is one of your best friends.” I’m ticked. I can’t believe my brother is acting this way. I don’t get it.

“Brian has a past. I just don’t want you to get hurt.” AJ put out his cigarette.

“Why the sudden change of heart? Earlier you were fine with me dating Brian. Now you’re acting like he’s a slime ball. Brian has always treated me with dignity and respect.” I raised my voice. “You are the only person that is hurting me.”

“Damn it, Alexia. I’m not trying to hurt you. Nick came to me and told me some things about Brian. I’m not sure I want you dating him.” AJ stated seriously.

“First of all, I’m a grown woman. Neither you nor Nick can tell me what to do. You may be a good guy now, Alexander, but I remember what a douche you were. Brian has always been a sweet and caring man. I don’t get why you have a problem with me dating Brian? As for Nick; he’s dating a manipulative bitch, so why does he care?” I started walking to my car.

“Lexi wait.” AJ ran up to me.

“No. You’ve said enough tonight.” I slammed my car door in his face. All I wanted to do was be with Brian. He was the one person who truly cared about me.