- Text Size +

Why Are We Still Friends?

By Rachel

Copyright 2013

 

Chapter 3

 

“Aww, look how cute they look.” Nick laughed as he and Anna walked in from their night out.

“Shh, you’re going to wake them up with your loud mouth.” Anna kicked her heels off and they flew across the room hitting Brian’s legs.

“Oh, shit. He’s going to be so pissed at you Anna Banana.” Nick backed himself into the wall.

“He’s already pissy eyed off at me.” She started giggling and couldn’t stop. “He’ll just have to pull his big boy panties out of his tight conservative ass. No wonder he doesn’t have a woman.”

I woke up when I heard all the giggles. I realized I was curled up next to Brian. I was wearing his sweatshirt and a pair of very short running shorts. His hand was resting on my thigh. Slowly I removed his hand and sat up. “Can you two be quiet? Alisa and Ian are sleeping in the next room.” I said groggily.

“Shit, Alexi Lexi. I’m sorry. It’s time for me to head home. I got a meeting in the morning.” He moved away from the wall and almost fell.

I rolled my eyes. It looked like Anna and Nick had quite the time. “Nick, why don’t you go crash in my bed tonight? You’re drunk. I don’t want you driving.”

“If you insist.” He smiled at me, and my heart melted.

“I do Nick. What time do you need up? I’ll make sure to set the alarm.”

“My meeting is at noon. Wake me up at eleven.” He placed a kiss on my cheek and disappeared into my room.

“So, did you have a good time?” I asked Anna.

“The best. Nick is so much fun. Damn he’s hot and knows how to move. Well I’m off to bed. Nite-nite.”  Anna waved and floated to her room.

I looked at Brian and noticed her shoes were next to his legs. I grabbed them and chucked them across the floor. For some reason Nick and Anna’s attitude rubbed me the wrong way. It was probably because they woke up me.

I grabbed a blanket off the back of the couch and covered Brian. He looked adorable sleeping on my couch. I grabbed another blanket for myself and plopped myself down on the loveseat.

------------------

The ringing of my alarm woke me up. It was six o’clock. I guess I had forgotten to change it since it was my day off.  I sat up trying to wake up. Brian had disappeared.

My back was sore. I stood up and stretched. I headed into the kitchen where I smelled hot coffee. I poured myself a huge cup and went out on the deck. Brian was sitting on the steps staring at the ocean. I plopped down beside him.

“Mornin’ Stinky Bananachunks.”  Brian teased.

“Well good morning to you, Lumpy Liversniffer.” I joked back. “I can’t believe you still call me that.”

“I think it fits you perfect. I can’t believe I’ve read every Captain Underpants book at least ten times.” He sipped his coffee. “Did you sleep well?”

“As best I could. That loveseat is uncomfortable. My back is aching.” I complained.

“Here let me give you a massage.” He started wiggling his fingers. “Let me use my enchanted digits to make you feel good.” Brian said suggestively. I just laughed at him as I moved to the step in front of him.

I sat there for a few minutes waiting for Brian to work the kinks out. “I’m waiting Brian. I thought you were going to work your magic on me.”

“I was just warming up my hands.” His voice deepened as I leaned back. “You need to take your shirt off.”

“You dirty man. If my mom heard you, she wouldn’t let you come over and play. Trying to seduce her daughter, shame on you.”  We both laughed.

I took off Brian’s sweatshirt. I was left in my sports bra. Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea. Nah, Brian was like a brother to me. He has seen me in less at the beach.

Brian started kneading my back. His hands were working wonderful on my back.  He put the right amount of pressure on my body. I started to relax. “Mmm, Bri. That feels so good.” I couldn’t help but moan in pleasure.

“I almost went back inside the house when I heard you moaning.” Nick sauntered out. “Then I realized it was you and Brian out here. I knew there was no hot monkey sex going on.”

“You’re so funny, man.” Brian commented dryly. I grabbed the sweatshirt and hurried to cover myself up.

I got up and walked over to Nick. “I thought you would still be asleep nursing your hangover.”

He took my cup and took a drink of my coffee. “Yummy. Actually I’m feeling pretty good. I wasn’t that drunk last night, Alexia.”

“Okay. Whatever you say Nick.” I started to go back in the house. “I’m off to get a shower. If the kids wake up, just give them some breakfast. I should be back in twenty minutes.”

“Can I join you?” Nick commented with a laugh. If he was serious, I would have taken him up on the offer. Once again, it was a secret I had to keep to myself.

“In your dreams Carter.” With that I went inside.

-----------------------

The kids were eating breakfast with Brian and Nick when, I walked into the kitchen. Of course it was loud and messy in the kitchen. The guys decided to make pancakes.

“Good morning Alisa. Good morning Ian.” I gave them both a kiss. Ian wrapped his arms around me and gave me a sticky kiss. “You two boys will clean up the kitchen before you leave.”

“You know we have pancakes when you come to your house Aunt Lexi. Nick was just brave enough to make them without you.” Alisa stated matter-of- factly.  “Brian made sure to watch over him so he didn’t burn down the house.”

“Well that was nice of Brian.”  I sat down and placed a stack of pancakes on my plate. “Are these safe to eat?” I asked Brian. Nick stuck his tongue out at me. If he only knew what that did to my insides.

“You won’t die, though you might have some indigestion.” He wisecracked.

“Thanks a lot guys. Ian and Alisa aren’t they delicious?”

“They are so wicious.” Ian answered with his mouth full.

“Lex, do you have any Advil or Tylenol. My head is killing me.” Anna walked in wearing her rumpled dress from the night before.

“Who’s that?” Alisa asked.

“In the medicine cabinet.” I answered. “Lis, that is Anna. She’s Brian’s sister.”

“Oh.” She went back to eating.

“Good Morning McLeans and company.”  AJ screamed as he walked into the house.

“We’re in the kitchen daddy!” Alisa yelled. Anna gave her a dirty look. I don’t think she was fond of children, especially when she had a hangover.

AJ and Bella walked in and gave their kids hugs and kisses. They sat down.

“Fine, don’t say hello to me.” Anna pouted.

“Hey Anna. It’s been a long time.” AJ got up and gave her a hug. “You’re looking beautiful as always. Glad your back.”

“You’re being nice to me. I’m ready to trade insults with you, baldy.” She teased.

“He’s grown into a big softie since he’s had kids. By the way, I’m Isabella, AJ’s wife.”  Bella stood up to shake hands with Anna.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you. You’re more beautiful in person. I’m Annalise, but call me Anna.” She smiled. “Well I’m going to go freshen up. See y’all later.”

With that Anna was gone. I didn’t remember her being so flighty. Maybe I was imagining things. I’m sure it was because of her hangover. Things just seemed different with Anna. I know I’ve only spent about four hours with her. I just wanted things to be the way the used to be with everyone getting along.

“So, can I bum a ride to the meeting with one of you?” AJ asked the guys.

“Sure. You need a ride home, too.” Brian asked.

“Of course, he does Brian. I plan on spending the day with Lexi and the kids shopping.” Bella smiled. “I’m going to get the kids dressed.”

The guys continued to chat, while I cleaned up the kitchen. I didn’t mind cleaning up their mess. It gave me time to watch Nick without him knowing it. He was everything I wanted in a man. It was too bad that he only saw me as a friend.