- Text Size +

Why Are We Still Friends

By Rachel

Copyright 2014

 

Chapter 32

“Nick, leave me alone.” I called out as I buried my head under a pillow. I wanted to be alone.

I couldn’t get over the fact that Brian had a daughter. The fact that he hid it from me upset me the most. I thought he trusted me enough to tell me anything. I guess I was wrong. Did Brian not know me? I would have loved Katy Jane as much as I loved him. She was a part of him.

“Alexia, open the door now.” He demanded. I chose to ignore him, hoping he’d go away. “I want to make things better.”

The next thing I heard was banging coming from the hallway. What was Nick up to? Before I had a chance to think about it, the door swung open. He walked over and crawled up to where I was lying.

“You broke the door?” I questioned, peeking from under the pillow.

“Lexi, I’m sorry.”  Nick said as he sat beside me. He didn’t take the pillow off my head; instead he rubbed my back gently.

“There’s nothing to be sorry about. You didn’t do anything.” I mumbled softly.

We sat in silence for a long time. I had nothing to say. It had nothing to do with Nick. Unfortunately, my wimp of a boyfriend didn’t want to be around me. I wasn’t sure Brian and I would be able to salvage what was left of our relationship. I loved him dearly, but I didn’t like him at the moment.

My stomach started to growl. “Lexi, when was the last time you had a decent meal?” Nick pulled the pillow from my face. I stared at him wide eyed.

“A few days ago.” I started to laugh when my stomach grumbled loudly.

“I promised you a big breakfast this morning. It’s lunchtime now. What do you say to a big lunch?” He gave me a smile that made my heart melt. I was glad to have my best friend back.

“Breakfast sounded pretty good. I could go for bacon, eggs, pancakes, and oatmeal with fruit.” I licked my lips thinking about all that delicious food.

“Damn girl. How do you eat all that and stay skinny?” Nick teased me.

“I’m a McLean. I also run five miles a day to keep this sexy figure.” I flirted as I got out of bed.

Nick gave me the once over, which made me feel guilty. I felt like I was betraying Brian. I grabbed a sweatshirt and placed it over top my tank top. “There’s no need to feel self-conscious, Lexi. You’re a beautiful woman.”

I avoided looking at Nick. “Let’s go. I’m starving.”

 

I sat at the island watching Nick cook. He wouldn’t let me do anything. I hated being treated like fragile butterfly. I wasn’t going to break. I could handle whatever came my way, if people would just let me.

Nick set a plate of bacon in front of me.  I took a piece. “MMM….this bacon is orgasmic. Where did you learn to make bacon this scrumptious? I moaned, enjoying the crispy, saltiness in my mouth.

He turned around and gave me a smirk. I smiled at him, while eating another piece of yummy bacon. “Didn’t know you were the type to compare food to sex?”

“Well, Nickolas food and sex are two of my favorite pleasures.” I tilted my head and gave him that look.

“So, you like both of them together?” He set down a plate of pancakes.

I blushed before I even began to speak. “I’m not opposed to whipped cream, chocolate syrup, or champagne.” I stared at my plate, while waiting for Nick’s comment.

“I never knew you were into kink.” Nick laughed as he made his plate. I blushed at his comment.

“A girl’s got to keep a few secrets. Just because you tell me every detail, doesn’t mean I need to tell you everything.” I replied and poked Nick with my fork.

He grabbed my fork. “Now what are you going to do Lexi?” Nick watched to see what I was going to do. I reached for my fork, but he held it higher in the air.

I stood up and placed my body against his. We looked at each other intently. I could feel Nick breathing against my face.  I licked my lips as our faces move toward each other. Just as my lips were on his, Nick turned his face. He ended up with a kiss on the cheek instead. Then he backed his chair away from me. Awkwardness coursed my body. I was mortified for attempting to kiss Nick, especially since I read the signs wrong.

“I’m…not…hungry anymore. I think I’m going to take a shower and head home.” I quickly made my escape from the kitchen.

“Lexi…” Nick said as I rushed away. I didn’t stop to listen.

Once upstairs, I sat on the bed. Why did I try to kiss my best friend? What about Brian? I wasn’t the type of girl that cheated on her boyfriend. Apparently, I was since I tried to kiss Nick. Everything was out of control. I couldn’t deal with my life being a mess. I always followed the straight and narrow; doing everything by the book. I had to get my life back in control, before I had a nervous breakdown.

Nick walked in and gave me my phone. “It was ringing, but I didn’t get it time.” He placed his hand pockets. “I wasn’t sure if it was important or not.”

“Thanks Nick.” I looked at my phone. It was the hospital calling. I figured they were checking up on my concussion. “I’d need to make a phone call.”

Nick didn’t leave the room. He perched himself on the wall, next to the broken door. So much for privacy in this house. I waited patiently for someone to answer. “Hello this is Alexia McLean. I’m returning a call to Dr. Weaver.” The receptionist puts me on hold. “Hello Dr. Weaver….I’m feeling a lot better… Are you sure... Thank you.”

I dropped my phone on the bed. I was stunned by the doctor’s phone call. My breath was shaky, as I tried calm myself down. Beads of sweat poured down my face.

Nick was by my side in an instant. “What’s wrong Lexi?”

I don’t answer right away, trying to find the courage to say the words, knowing it would make it real. “I’m pregnant.”