- Text Size +
Why Are We Still Friends
By Rachel
Copyright 2014

Chapter 40

The ride home was quiet. Kevin was the perfect one to take me home. He knew not to pressure me into talking. When we got to my house, he walked me to the door and gave me a hug. I spent the rest of the night on the couch under a blanket watching "Gilmore Girls" and stuffing my face with popcorn.

This morning I woke up on the couch. My mood wasn't any better. I looked at the clock and realized that I needed to get ready for work soon. I hated working the night shift. It was quiet and lonely with all my young patients sleeping. I'd rather stay home and mope.

What was wrong with me? My happy-go-lucky personality had disappeared, and I didn't think it was returning. Yes, I was still mad at Brian and Nick. This time I wasn't going to be the one fixing the situation. It was up to them to come to me. I wonder who would be the first to fix things.

It was time to get a shower; I figured the warm water would make me feel better. I got off the couch and meandered my way to the bathroom. I started to run the water as I took off my clothes. Once the water was at the perfect temperature, I stepped inside. The hot water felt incredible running down my aching muscles.

Thoughts were racing through my mind. I didn’t like the way Nick or Brian had treated me yesterday. I loved both of them very much. Brian was everything I wanted in a man. He was the definition of a lover and best friend. Nick he was a special part of my life. We had been best friends since day one. Our bond was the strongest thing I had going in my life.

The knock on the bathroom door startled my out of my thoughts. “Who is it?” I yelled over the water.

The door creaked open, as I peeked out past the shower curtain. It was Nick. He walked right into the bathroom taking a seat on the commode. What the hell was he doing? I hoped he didn’t plan on sitting there while I showered.

“Hey Lexi.” He smiled at me.

“Umm, hey Nick.” I wrapped the curtain around me, so he couldn’t see anything.

“Can we talk?”

I sighed. “Is now really a good time? Can you wait until I’m done with my shower?”

“I don’t have much time. I’m meeting some friends in a half hour.”

Gosh, he was dense sometimes. This wasn’t the appropriate place to be having a conversation. What if Brian walked in? He’d be pissed. Men were stupid at times.

“You know I could help you wash your back.” He teased. I grabbed a bottle of shampoo and threw it at him. “Geesh, I was just kidding. I’d love to see you all wet.”

“Nickolas Gene Carter say one more word and I’m going to throw the conditioner at you.” I grumbled.

“But Lexi you are so sexy.” Nick gave me his trademark smile.

I closed the curtain completely, choosing to ignore him and his dirty comments. If the drain could swallow me up, I’d be a happy woman.

“Alexia, I just wanted to apologize for yesterday. I had umm no reason to umm be pissed at you.”

I rinsed off my body and shut off the water. I reached out my hand and Nick handed me my towel. I wrapped it around myself and stepped out.

“Nick, I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about me and Brian getting back together. We’ve both been so busy.”

He stood up and moved closer to me. “God, Lexi. You’re so beautiful.”

“Nick stop.” I blushed at his comment. I took a step back, hoping Nick would get the hint. He grabbed my waist, as I continued to move away from him. His hand grasped the towel and it fell in slow motion around my feet.

He stared at me for a minute. “Lexi, I’m sorry.”

His lips grazed mine as he pushed me against the wall. The kiss started off lightly, but quickly moved towards a frantic pace. I slid my tongue between his lips. I wanted to taste Nick, to drink in his flavor. His hands slid up from my hips to my breasts. He teased and taunted my nipples with his fingers. My body was putty in his hands. I moaned into Nick’s mouth as he pushed his erection into my body. All common sense was gone. Our mouths broke apart as Nick moved to his knees. When he started placing kisses on my stomach, I had to stop him.

“Nick, we can’t” I could barely get the words out. “I’m with Brian.”

He grabbed the towel from the floor and up righted himself. Gently, Nick wrapped the towel around my body. “I forgot.”

“Nick, how could you forget? I just told you.” I said while trying to catch my breath.

“Alexia, I couldn’t help myself. You look so beautiful.”

“Stop! Just stop it, Nick!” I cried out. “We can’t do this. You’re my best friend. I’m with Brian. It’s not right.”

“I’m sorry.”

“What are we going to do? If Brian finds out, he’s going to kill us both. Especially you.” I started to panic.

“Then let’s not tell him.” I give him a look. “We can pretend it never happened.”

I grabbed my brush and started brushing my hair. “I can’t lie to Brian.”

“Well, he’s lied to you. Seriously, it never happened. I promise to not kiss you again. I’m sorry about the way I treated you yesterday. You’re happy with Brian. That’s all I want is you to be is happy.”

I opened the bathroom door and stepped into my bedroom. Nick followed like a lost puppy dog. “Nick, I think I am happy. Brian and I have some things to work on. He loves me and our baby. Maybe someday, we’ll get married.” I smiled wistfully. “No matter what, I still need your support and friendship. You’re always going to be my best friend.”

Nick pulled me into his arms. “What if I want more?” He mumbled softly into my hair.

“What did you say?” I stepped back looking into his eyes.

“I said we’ll always be best friends.” He said with a smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes. The look in his eyes told me he wasn’t telling the truth. Why did everything have to change? Why couldn’t things stay the same? The lines were starting to change and I wasn’t sure if I liked it.