- Text Size +

 

Why Are We Still Friends

By: Rachel

Copyright 2014

 

Chapter 43

 

Sitting on the couch wallowing in pity wasn’t helping. I didn’t know what I wanted. Did it matter what I wanted? I had to think about my child. He or she was going to be the most important person in my life.

The doorbell pulled me out of my thoughts. I wiped my eyes on my shirt. Then I meandered my way to the door.  When I opened the door I was shocked as hell. Annalise was standing on my porch.

“You can close your mouth, Alexia.” She said pushing her way inside. “We need to talk.”

“You need to leave.” I attempted to remain calm. It wasn’t working. 

“I’m not leaving until you hear what I have to say.”

“Make it quick. I’m not feeling well.”  This was not a good time for her to be here. I hope she made this visit short.

“Yeah, my mom told me Brian knocked you up. Congrats on tying down Brian with another baby. Now he’ll have two bastard children to deal with.” Anna said smugly as she sat down on the couch.

“If you’re here to insult me, please leave.” I stated calmly, even though I wanted to yell at her.

“Sweetheart, I’m here to give you some advice. By the way my parents are in love with little Katy Jane. She’s the light of their life.”

I leaned against the wall. My stomach was queasy enough that I was ready to throw up. I willed my body to stop. “They should be. She is their granddaughter.”

“You better watch your precious, saint of a boyfriend. He’s really getting close to Vienna. She’s more of a woman than you’ll ever be. Apparently she knows what she’s doing in the bedroom.”  Anna stated with an evil smirk.

I trusted Brian. He wouldn’t hurt me more than he already had. He was all in when it came to me and the baby.  At least I thought he was. Now I wasn’t so sure. I put those thoughts out of my head. Anna was trying to cast doubt in my mind.

“Aren’t you going to say anything?” She laughed. “That’s right. You’ve always let people walk all over you.  I know I’ve been doing it since we were kids. You didn’t even notice. I always got my way. You are pathetic Alexia. You’re never going to find a man that loves you. All men will use you and then get rid of you when they had their fill.”

“How can you be so cruel? I’ve never done anything to you, except be the very best friend I could.” I felt the tears prick my eyes. Why did I have to cry in front of Anna? Why couldn’t I be stronger?

“And you had everything. Everyone loved you. You were perfect in their eyes. Kevin loved you. So did Brian. You had everyone wrapped around your finger. I was always the trouble maker, bitch. Lexi could do no wrong. I was nobody when you were around.”  Anna spat out venomously.

I’m shocked. In all my years of knowing Annalise, I never knew she felt this way. I must have been blind not to see it. It made a lot of sense, but it hurt that she blamed me for everything.

“Anna, I never….I …It was…never…my…intention.” The words were hard to get out.

“Of course not. Alexia McLean would never intentionally hurt anyone’s feelings. She’s too nice.”

My heart started to pound and my stomach was hurting. I slowly sunk down on a chair. This was not good for my baby. “You need to leave.” I stated firmly.

“I’ll leave when I’m good and ready. Stop being a baby.” She got up and moved closer to where I was sitting. “You want to know the reason I fucked Nick?”

 I nodded my head and waited for her to continue. The look in her eyes was scaring me. I just wanted her out of my house. Who knew what she was capable of?

“I fucked your best friend because I knew it would make you insanely jealous. It was the one thing you always wanted and could never have. You had a crush on him since the first time he talked to you. It was pathetic how you gushed over him all these years.” She cackled. “The funny thing, I liked him, too. He never showered me with attention like he did you. Hell, even when I was his little sex toy it was still all about you. You were all he fucking talked about. The only way to shut him up was to have sex.”

“Annalise, I’m so sorry. I never meant to hurt you. If I had known you had feelings for Nick, I would have backed off.” I bent over in pain.

“There she is, sweet Lexi, always helping her friends. Go to hell. First you took Nick away from me; then my brother.  Consider yourself lucky bitch. You can have both of them. They aren’t worth my time or effort. Just know you’ll get yours someday.”

The pain in my stomach is excruciating. I can’t stand it. I double over falling to the floor. “Anna, I need your help. Call  9-1-1.”

“Oh, poor Lexi needs someone’s help. I don’t know the number.” She laughed manically.

“What is going on?” My mom’s voice reverberated through the room.

“Mom.” I struggled to get the words out. “The baby. Call 9-1-1.”

Mom grabbed the phone and made the call, while Anna looked at me with fear. I just wanted my baby to be alright. Please God, don’t let anything happen to my baby. I couldn’t stand the ache in my stomach. The room was spinning around me. Why was I so cold?

“Annalise, if anything happens to Lexi or that baby, I’ll hold you personally responsible.” It was the last words I heard my mom utter before I passed out.