- Text Size +

Why Are We Still Friends

By Rachel

Copyright 2014

 

After a restless night, I walked into the kitchen. Anna was sitting at the island. I poured myself a cup of coffee. I was going to need the caffeine for my long day.

“Annalise, look I don’t want to fight with you.” I said trying to keep the peace.

“I didn’t think you would get so defensive about me trying to help you.” Anna said sweetly.

“I didn’t know I was asking you for advice.” I grabbed a banana and sat down at the island.

“Alexia, I was just trying to help. From my perspective you can’t keep pining for a man that has no interest in you.”  She said sweetly.

“Nick is my best friend.”

“Yeah, and he sees you as one of the guys. You’re never going to be a woman in his eyes.” I never realized how rude Anna was until today. Was she purposely trying to hurt my feelings?

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I wasn’t looking forward to her answer. I sipped my coffee and asked God for strength.

“You’re the same girl you were when I left. Everything about you is the same. Plus look at what you are wearing. Who wears scrubs with Donald Duck on them?” Anna pointed at my shirt. “No man wants a woman who doesn’t try to look beautiful. You have so much potential, but you don’t care about your looks.”

“For your information, these are my work clothes. I actually work and earn a living. I do take care of myself. I’m sorry I’m not like you with fake boobs, no personality, and lack of ambition. You have no right to judge me. I may not be as sexy and sophisticated as you, but I don’t use sex to get a guy.” I slammed my cup into the sink causing it to break into pieces.

“That was low, Alexia.” Anna glared at me.

“Like what you said to me wasn’t.” I grabbed my purse.

“I was only trying to help. I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings.” She said innocently. I wasn’t buying her act today.

“But you did. Please stay out of my personal life.” I said harshly. I was shocked at my attitude. Usually I didn’t snap at people. I forced myself to calm down. “Look, let’s talk about this tonight. I need to get to work. I’ll be home around nine. I have class tonight.”  Then I walked out.

-----------------------------

“Good morning, Nurse Lexi.” Timothy said with a smile when I walked into his room.

“Hello Timmy. How are you today?” I fluffed his pillow before I started checking his vitals.

“I’m bored.” He pushed his video controller aside.

“Well, I guess I came at the right time.” Brian walked in with the goofiest grin on his face.

“Brian, I’m so glad to see you.” The ten year old said excitedly. “Can we play the new game I got?”

“Of course we can, Timbo.” He gave Timothy a high five. “Let me talk to Lexi for a minute. Then you can beat me at your game.”

I finished up and Brian followed me into the hall. “Is everything okay Lexi.” He placed a hand on my shoulder.

“I’m fine Brian. Why would anything be wrong?” I pretended to act like everything was okay.

“You’re eyes are the window to your soul.” He stared at my brown eyes intently. A little too intently for my taste.

I pushed his hand away. “Geesh, Brian that was so lame.”

“It’s true. You’re eyes speak volumes. The things I’ve learned about you without you telling me came from those beautiful chocolate orbs.” He said seriously. He was starting to freak me out. I’m sure it was my lack of sleep making my mind fuzzy.

“Brian, I don’t have time to get into it now. I have class tonight. Maybe we can talk about it tomorrow.” I played with my stethoscope nervously.

“What time do you get off?” He leaned against the wall.

“I finish at five. Why?”

“And your class starts at six thirty.” I nodded my head at him. “I’ll meet you in the cafeteria and we can talk.” He gave me a kiss on the cheek and disappeared into Timothy’s room.

“Alexia, could I speak to you in my office?” Olympia the head nurse asked with no emotion. I hope it wasn’t because I was talking to Brian and he kissed me during work hours. “Take a seat.”

I sat down and waited for Olympia to speak. I was nervous about being called into her office. I kept trying to figure out what I did wrong.

“Alexia, relax.” Olympia smiled at me. It was funny how everyone was able to read me today. “I just wanted to go over your review for the year. I’m very satisfied with your performance. You have shown great leadership on the floor.”

“Thanks.” I didn’t know what else to say.

“Lydia will be moving in a few weeks. Her husband got a new job, and they are moving to Kansas.” She shuffled some papers. “After talking with the doctors and the head of nursing for the hospital, we would like to offer you the position of charge nurse.”

I was flabbergasted. There were so many nurses on my floor that had more experience than me. “Are you for real?”

Olympia smiled at me. “I’m for real. You have always gone above and beyond since you started working. Plus you do so much for this hospital. There aren’t many nurses who volunteer to teach classes and work with parents. This also comes with an increase in pay. Your pay will be eighty thousands a year.”

“Wow. I’m honored to be offered this position. When do I need to let you know I accept the job?”

“You can take a few days and think about.”

“I already know my answer. I accept the position.” I couldn’t stop smiling.

“I’ll have your contract ready for you to sign tomorrow.”

---------------------

Brian was sitting at a table with a smorgasbord of junk food. I sat down and started eating fries. “You’re in a better mood, Tiger Lilly.”

“You haven’t called me that in forever, Peter Pan.” I couldn’t help laughing.

“Yes, but that day was so much fun.” He stole an onion ring from my hand.

“Oh yeah, it was so fun watching Nick, Anna, and AJ with their dates all day. I love being single.” I took my onion ring back.

“But you got to ride all those dark rides with me. Peter Pan’s Flight was my favorite.” Brian smiled at me. He had the most infectious smile.

“Yeah because you tried to get fresh with me. You were a dirty boy back then.” I teased him. I had to be like seventeen at the time and Brian was way older.

“Well you had those cute braids in your hair. How could I resist?” He flicked his straw paper at me. “For all you know, I could be a dirty man. Why don’t we go to Disney and take a ride on Peter Pan’s Flight and see what happens?” Brian joked.

“Brian Thomas Littrell, I can’t believe you said that. I’m going to tell my mom on you. I don’t get fresh on the first date. I’m not that kind of girl.” I said in mock horror.

“Figures.” We both started laughing. “So what’s got you so giddy? You looked upset earlier and now you’re full of smiles.”

“You are looking at the new charge nurse of the cardiac care floor.” I beamed. I couldn’t help it. I was so excited.

Brian pulled my close to him in a hug and placed a kiss on my lips. “Congrats, Tiger Lily. I’m so happy for you!”

“Thanks Peter Pan.”

“You know I’m going to have to take you out to celebrate.”

“That would be nice, but you don’t have to.” I got shy all of a sudden. I don’t know what was wrong with me. I needed to get my emotions in check.

“Well don’t make plans for your next night off. I’m taking a charge nurse to dinner.” We both got quiet. “So what was wrong earlier?”

“Anna and I had a disagreement.” I played with my food.

“You want to talk about it?” Brian placed his hand on mine.

“Not really. We both said things we didn’t mean. It will blow over. It always does.” I was hurt from the things Anna had said about me, but I didn’t want to talk about her to Brian. It was hard for him when it came to his sister. I wish they could go back to the ways things were before she left, but so much time had passed. I don’t know if things were able to be worked out.

“I’m sorry that Anna was rude to you. She doesn’t think before she speaks.”

“Brian are you ever going to try to make amends with her?” I finally had the courage to ask him.

“Lex, it’s hard. I want my sister back, but I don’t know how fix things.” Brian looked despondent. My heart was aching for him. I don’t know what I would do without my brother. I knew this was hard on Brian. We had talked about it before, but it was different now that she was back.

“Just try talking to Anna. She may ignore you at first, but eventually she’ll come around. Annalise likes to act tougher than what she is.”

“I’ll try, Lexi. I promise. It might take me a while, but I’m going to take the first step.”

“Brian, that’s all you can do.” I looked at my watch. “I hate to do this, but I need to get to class. Thanks for dinner.” I reached over and planted a kiss on his cheek.

“Anytime, Tiger Lily. I’ll call you about dinner.”

“See ya, Peter.  I’ll be waiting.”