- Text Size +

Why Are We Still Friends

By Rachel

Copyright 2014

 

Chapter 14

 

It’s been a week since I talked to Nick or Anna. They were avoiding me as well. I couldn’t trust Anna with my secrets. I was too embarrassed to talk to Nick. Whenever they were around Anna made the point to be all over Nick. At first it was an act to make me jealous, but now I think they were actually starting to like each other.

When I got home the house was empty. It was nice not see the happy couple groping each other on the couch.  I couldn’t take it anymore. I was alone. What should I do with my few minutes of peace?

“Lex! Lex! Where are you?” Brian sang from the front door.

“In the kitchen.” I screamed as I washed my hands.

Brian walked in and wrapped himself around me. I started to giggle. He was always so affectionate. I turned the water off and Brian handed me a towel.

“So, what’s up?” He took a seat at the island.

“Just got home from work. I was going to make some dinner. Would you like to join me?” I leaned against the counter. “I’m sure I can whip up something edible.”

Brian stared at me for a moment. “Lex, you are a wonderful cook. You can make boiled water taste good.”

“I wouldn’t go that far Mr. Littrell.” I opened the refrigerator. “Oh my gosh! I can’t believe they’ve eaten everything.”

I slammed the fridge shut and opened the freezer. “Is everything alright?” Brian said from behind me.

“You mean Nick hasn’t mentioned it to you?” I asked shyly. There was no way I wanted him to know that I slept with Nick. It would be awkward.

“Haven’t talked to him in over a week. Did something happen?” Brian grabbed the box of Hot Pockets.

“Well, I kind of got into an argument with him and Anna.”

Brian popped the ham and cheese delightfulness into the microwave. “I’m sorry. Does it have to do with them dating?”

I shrugged. “Kind of. I really don’t feel like talking about it. I haven’t talked to either of them in a week. It just sucks when both of your best friends are mad at you.”

“Well, it’s their loss. Grab the six pack in the fridge and let’s go eat on the beach.” Brian was trying to cheer me up. He was always a good friend.

We found a spot on the beach and sat down. I watched the waves crash along the sand; getting lost in my own thoughts. Lately, that’s where I had been most of the time.

“Peter Pan, this dinner really sucks.” I start laughing madly. “How classy is it to eat Hot Pockets and beer on the beach? If your fans only knew how white trash you were.”

Brian started to laugh. I don’t know why I was finding it so funny. For the first time since the fight I was able to relax. “Well, we have frosted cherry Pop-Tarts for dessert.”

I loved that Brian made me forget all of my problems. He was both funny and caring. It’s just what I needed.

“So are you looking forward to you last year in the twenties?”

“Shush. I’m always going to be in my twenties. I’m not aging.” I commented sarcastically. Why, oh why did he have to remind me about my birthday? I was trying to forget that it existed. Most people loved their birthdays and all the celebrating. I was an exception to that rule.

“Well you’re still as beautiful as the day I met you.” He said with a smirk.

“Eww, you’re such a perv. I was just a little girl when you met me. I hope I don’t look like that.” I fell back onto the sand. “You know, I did grow boobs since then.”

“You sure did!” Brian wiggled his eyes at me. “They’ve filled out your shirts nicely, I have to admit.”

“Brian Thomas Littrell, you really are a pervert. How dare you look at my breasts! I’m going tell my brother on you.” I said with mock disgust.

“How can I not look? You know I’m a boob man.” He shrugged.

“Yeah, you certainly are a boob.” I got up and started to run.

Brian quickly got up and started chasing me. I continued running down the beach. Shit, he was catching up to me. When he was about five feet away, I darted the other direction. Not missing a step, Brian turned and started rushing after me. I ran into the ocean, but Brian caught up to me.

“Come any closer, and I’ll splash you.” I crouched down, ready to throw water at him.

“You wouldn’t dare, Tiger Lilly.” Brian taunted. “I’m made of sugar. I will melt.”

“Oh, you don’t think I would get the almighty Brian wet. Ha!” I laughed in his face.

Just as I was getting ready to douse him with water, he gripped my hips to draw me near. Both of us fell in the water with a thud.

“Way to go Tiger Lilly!”

“I’m not the one who caused us to fall in the water.” I yelled.

“I’m not taking the blame.” Brian’s hands were still on my hips.

“Well, I’m blaming you. You pawing my body is the reason I’m soaking wet.” I glared at him. Brian made a funny face. I couldn’t stay mad at him. I burst into a fit of giggles.

“You think this is funny, Lex?” He started to tickle me. Damn him. He knew all my ticklish spots. His fingers grazed my wet skin on my stomach. I tried to wriggle free.

“Stop it….c’mon’ Brian…stop tickling me….please…stop.” I attempted to get away from him.

“Only if you say, Brian Littrell is the sexist Backstreet Boy and give me a kiss.” Brian’s blue eyes darkened when he mentioned the kiss. I pretended not to notice.

“Never.” I screamed. His hands started moving on my skin. “Okay, okay.  I give.”

“So I’m going to get that kiss?” He smirked at me.

“Brian Littrell is the sexist Backstreet Boy.” I leaned in and gave him a quick peck on the cheek. He let go of me. “He’s also the biggest pain in the ass.”

“You’re so funny Lex.” Brian commented sarcastically as we both got up.

“You know you love me Bri Bri.”

“I’d love you more if I wasn’t all wet.” He took my hand and we walked back to the house.

“Look Nick. Look at what the cat dragged in.” Anna nudged Nick.  They were sitting on the deck.

I chose to ignore them. “Let’s go inside and dry off.” I took Brian’s hand and pulled him into the house.

“Aren’t you going to talk to them?”

“Hell no. They hurt me a lot. I’m not over it yet.” I looked down. I was embarrassed to admit that I let them get to me, but there was no way I could tell Brian the truth. He would be so disappointed that I let Nick use me.  “Let me get us some towels.”

“I’m sorry for whatever happened. I don’t like seeing you hurt.” Brian said tenderly.

“Thanks Brian. It means a lot.” I was done discussing my fight. “It’s cold. Let go get dried off.”

“I know a way we can get warm and dry off at the same time.” Brian gave me a cheesy grin.

“I don’t think so.” I raised an eyebrow at him. “Let me go get you a towel, you horny toad.”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
I had a lot of fun writing this chapter. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Let me know what you think.