- Text Size +

Why Are We Still Friends

By Rachel

Copyright 2014

 

Chapter 30

“Nick, this is your bed. I can’t sleep in it.” I told him for the umpteenth time. Nick was more stubborn than a jackass.

“Stop fighting me and get in bed.” He fluffed the pillow he was holding one more time.

I sat on the edge of the bed. “You know I can sleep in one of the guest rooms.”

Nick placed the pillow on the bed and sat down next to me. “I know how much you love my bed. You need your rest Alexia. I can’t have you passing out on me again. You scared the crap out of me.” He pressed a kiss to my cheek.

Guilt coursed through my veins. I wished that Nick didn’t have to take care of me. I wasn’t his responsibility. “I didn’t mean to.” I said miserably.

“Get some sleep. I’m going to make you a big breakfast tomorrow.” Nick stood up and walked to the door. “Love ya, Lexi.”

“Love ya, Nick.”

He turned off the light and disappeared down the hall. I got under the covers, but I couldn’t sleep. Sure, I was exhausted but my mind was on Brian. I hadn’t talked to him since last night, and that was a brief moment. He didn’t even call to see how I was feeling. This was not the Brian I knew and loved. What was so important that he forgot all about me?

Tossing and turning didn’t seem to help. All it did was make the sheets bunch up. I loved Nick’s bed, but tonight it was uncomfortable. I glanced at the clock. It was a little after midnight. I’d been trying to sleep for the last two hours.

When I went into the living room to watch some television, Nick was sleeping soundly on the couch. I tip toed the rest of the way in, so I wouldn’t wake him up. Knowing him, he’d pick me up and carry me back to bed. I sat down on the remaining space on the couch.

Nick stirred as soon as I got comfortable. “Lexi, what are you doing up?” He asked with his eyes closed.

“Couldn’t sleep.” My comment caused Nick to sit up.

“Lexi, you look you haven’t slept in weeks. How can you not be zonked out?”  Nick blurted out.

“Thanks Nick. I know I look like shit, you don’t have to remind me.” I grumbled.

Nick moved closer to me. He removed a stray hair from my face. “You always look beautiful Alexia Lillian.”

Neither of us looked away from each other. For the first time I was nervous being around Nick. Both of us moved in toward each other. I licked my lips hesitantly; he was going to kiss me. His lips were about to graze mine when the doorbell rang.  Nick and I jumped apart.

“Who the hell?” Nick cursed as he went to see who was behind the door.

My heart was thumping inside my chest. I attempted to calm down, but it wasn’t working. What was I doing? I couldn’t kiss Nick. I loved Brian. I was the worse girlfriend.

Nick walked back into the living room with Brian trailing behind him. Nick looked pissed at Brian’s arrival. He plopped down in a chair watching Brian’s every move. Brian walked over to me.

“Lexi, how are you feeling?” He asked while pulling me into his arms. Even though I was mad at Brian, it felt good having his arms around me.

“I’m okay.” I laid my head on his shoulder. “It’s just a concussion. I’ll live.”

“You had me worried, Tiger Lilly.” He pressed a kiss to my head. I know I should be angry at him, but I’m just glad he’s back.

“I’m sorry.” I pulled away from him. I was feeling guilty for taking him away from whatever he was doing in Kentucky.

“Lexi, it’s late. Why don’t you go back to bed? You can talk to Brian in the morning when you’re rested.”  Nick suggested quietly.

“I’m not tired.” I said irritably. I know that Nick meant well, but I could take care of myself.

“Tiger Lilly, maybe Nick is right.” Brian stood up. “Do you want to come home with me? We can sleep in and talk when we get up.”

I looked at Brian, then Nick. Nick was not happy with Brian’s suggestion. I was between a rock and a hard place. Do I go home with my boyfriend or stay with my best friend? Either way I was hurting someone’s feelings. I didn’t want Brian or Nick mad at me.

“It’s late. Why don’t you stay here Brian? That way to you don’t have to drive home. I’m sure you’re tired from your flight.” Nick said, shortly. I had never seen him mad at Brian.

The decision was in my hands. “Peter Pan, maybe Nick is right. It’s a long drive for this time of night. I’m sure you are exhausted. You’ll feel better in the morning.”

The look on Brian’s face said it all. He was not a happy camper. At this point I didn’t care. I wanted to go to bed and forget about the real world.

“Anything for you Tiger Lilly. I’m just glad you’re alright. I would die if anything happened to you.” Brian said tenderly. He was putting it on a little too thick for my liking. He was trying to stay out of the dog house.

I walked over to Nick and gave him a hug. I whispered in his ear. “Thanks Nick, for everything. You’re my hero. I love you.”

“I love you, too.” He gave me an extra squeeze and let me go.

“Brian will be staying in the guest room.” I grabbed Brian’s hand and pulled him up the stairs.

When we got to the top of the stairs, he wrapped his arm around me. His fingers gently rubbed my back. Slowly they land on my hip. “Thank you for being so understanding.” He said as he tried to kiss me. I backed away. “What’s wrong Lex?”

My eyes grew wide. “What’s wrong with me? You’re asking me what’s wrong? I can’t believe you. You know what’s wrong.”

“Can we talk about it tomorrow?” He gave me a slight smile. “Let’s go get some sleep.”

“If you think you’re getting lucky tonight Mr. Littrell, you are dead wrong. In fact, while you’re sleeping in the guest room. I’ll be sleeping Nick’s room.” The stunned look on Brian’s face was priceless. “What?”

“You’re going to sleep with Nick?” Brian gasped.

“I’m not sleeping with Nick. I am sleeping in his bed ALONE!”

“But…” Brian squawked as I left him in the hall. I would deal with him in the morning.