- Text Size +

Why Are We Still Friends?

By Rachel

Copyright 2014

 

Chapter 6

I sat in the cafeteria at work waiting for Nick to show up. We were having our weekly lunch together. Apparently, he was running late. Ever since Anna came back, Nick’s attitude had changed.

I started eating my lunch. I only had twenty of my thirty minutes left.

“Sorry, I’m late. I got stuck in traffic.” Nick sat down across from me. I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt.

“No problem. Are you going to eat?”

“I’ll steal some of your food.” He took a strawberry off my spinach salad.

“So, what’s new? I’ve hardly seen you this week.” I pushed my plate of broccoli at him.

“That’s cause you’re always working and going to school. You’re the busy one.” He teased as he started eating.

“I guess I am.” I laughed. “So tell me how exciting your life is. I need to live vicariously through you.”

“Ha ha. It’s a good thing I like you.” He grabbed my milk and took a swig. “I’ve been showing Anna around and relaxing.”

“Sounds like you and Anna are getting along great.” I commented quietly. I wasn’t thrilled with the idea of them spending so much time together.

“Yeah. She’s a lot of fun. I used to think she was annoying back when we were teenagers.” He laughed.

I looked at him before I spoke. “That’s because she didn’t have boobs like she does now.” I commented sarcastically. Nick really seemed to like women with big breasts.

“Maybe you should go get some, Lexi.” Nick wiggled his eyes suggestively at me.

“So you can ogle them and have a free pass on touching them?” I questioned. Hell, I would let him touch my breasts if he wanted. All he had to do was ask.

“Of course. Isn’t that what best friends are for?” He smirked at me. “If I can get free titty fucks anytime I want, I’m all for it.”

I pushed Nick away from me. “You’re a perv, Nickolas. I see why you can’t get a girlfriend.”

“You know that you love me, Alexia Lillian.” More than he ever knew. If only he would look at me like he did other women. I was just a friend, and not a woman. I could stand naked in front of him, and Nick wouldn’t bat an eyelash. That’s how oblivious he was to me.

“Well, someone’s got to tolerate your bullshit.”  I looked at my watch. I needed to be back to my station in eight minutes. “Nick, you want to walk me back to my floor. I’m sure the nurses would love a visit from you.”

“Oh I see how it is. Using my fame to gain friends.”

I leaned in and whispered in his ear. “Brian gets the nurses all hot and bothered. You’re our comic relief, stud.”

“That’s mean. There’s no way Brian’s got the swagger I do.”

“You keep thinking that.” I stood up. “I got to go. I’ll see you later.”

--------------------

I was exhausted when I got home from work. I changed into my running shorts and a tank top. I needed to release my stress and a run on the beach would make me feel more relaxed.

I grabbed my iPod, as Nick and Anna walked into the living room. She was wearing a Nick’s shirt and he was in his boxers. Nick’s hair was all over the place. Anna had the biggest grin on her face.  At that moment I hated them both.

I waved at them and got the hell out of the house. I wanted to break whatever I could get my hands on at the moment. I couldn’t believe they were sleeping together. Anna was here for four days and already made a move on Nick. Life was so unfair.

I started running down the beach. Usually a good run made me feel better, but not this time. I couldn’t contain my anger or the fact that my heart was breaking. Once I finished my run, I didn’t feel any better.

Nick’s car was gone, so it was safe to go back inside. Anna was sitting in the kitchen drinking a glass of wine with the biggest smile on her face.

“Hey Anna.” I said casually.  I didn’t want her knowing how pissed I was at the moment.

“Hello Alexia.” She smiled at me. “I apologize for you seeing me with Nicky earlier.”

“Umm it’s okay. I was just surprised. I didn’t realize you two were a couple. You just moved down here.” I hoped my voice sounded calm. Inside I was seething. I was trying to control my temper at the moment.

“This isn’t the fifties. People have sex just to have sex. Nick and I aren’t in a relationship. Neither of us wants one. We just like fucking each other.”

“Oh.” What else could I say? I didn’t think Nick was that kind of man. Sure, he dated a lot of women, and in the past he had a few one night stands. Nick was older and more mature. Damn, I was a fool living in a dream world. Maybe, I was in a different time era with my old fashion point of view on relationships.

“I can tell you are shocked. Lexi, Nick is a man. He’ll take it any way he can. The thing is, he needs a woman who can handle his sexual needs. Lexi, you’re my best friend, but you couldn’t handle Nick in the bedroom.” Anna stood up and placed her glass in the sink.

I stared at her for a few minutes, trying to compose my thoughts. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Yeah, that was real lame.  She would see right through me.

“Don’t make me laugh. I know you have the hots for Nick. It’s written all over your pretty face every time he’s around.” Anna cackled. I was really beginning to get upset with her. “Let’s face it; Nick doesn’t want a beginner when it comes to sex. He wants a woman who knows how to please and please him well. You’re practically a virgin. Sure you have a tight pussy, but that’s about it.”

“I thought you were my best friend.” My tears started to fall.

“Why do you think I’m telling you this? I don’t want you wasting all your time on a man who’s never going to like you in a sexual way. I’m doing this for your own good.” Anna walked over to me. I scooted away from her.

“I didn’t ask for your help.” I took a bottle of water from the fridge. “Ever since you came back, you’ve been a bitch. You’re not the person I thought you were.”

“Lexi, Lexi. People change. I hope I’m not the same girl I was ten years ago. That Anna was inexperienced. I’ve learned a lot over the years. It’s a shame you are still little miss innocent after all these years. No wonder you can’t get Nick.”

“I don’t deserve to stand here listening to you. So what I’m not a slut who sleeps around. I’m proud of who I am. I have a great career, good friends, and I’m happy. Just because you are a miserable bitch who has nothing to offer except her fake tits and pussy, doesn’t mean I need to be that way. I’ll have you know that I’ve slept with my fair share of men, but my sex life is none of your business.” Shocked at what I said, I ran to my room.

This was not good. I didn’t want to fight with my best friend. Anna provoked me, and I took the bait. It always happened even when we were teenagers. This time was worse because she brought Nick into it.

What if she told Nick I had the hots for him? I would never live it down. Anna wasn’t good at keeping secrets. I’m sure in time it would slip out, and Nick would know the truth. How could I deny it? I was always honest with Nick, well except for this one secret. I was afraid of what was going to happen once he found out.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading!!! I hope you are still enjoying the story!